• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tony Martin Bandwagon thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Tony Martin reach a Top Ten overall finish at this year's Tour de France

• Hell No

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Funny thing, no one (with the possible exception of Libertine) said anything bad about Martin until Bavarianrider popped up. Evans gets a lot of flak too. Something to think about, eh?

No.
It's all about the upcoming party and that trolling and fanboycalling. Thats the disturbing part of the story. :D

Cobblestoned said:
But be fair, too, I wonder what is worse.
A Tony Martin fanboy, or the dozents of
"TonyMartincantclimbandIwillfeelgreatandbetheforumherohavingpartywithmymateswhenheisdroppedinthemountainsbythebestclimbersoftheworld"-posters, who troll this thread now and also mostly tend to overhype the Giro and hate+bash le Tour.

I figured, that there are 2 reasons for bashing and overhyping Giro (Vuelta a little bit, too):
- Lance Armstrong won le Tour 7 times in a row (haters)
- Anglophone forumites who have to compensate something and stand out

:D

Well about Tony's comment, he said something like that. And that is true for the majority of average public, TV viewers, riders and even MOST of (honest) hardcorefans.
Look:
- 99% of Italian riders dream about winning Giro or a Giro-stage
- 95% of the ALL other riders dream about winning le Tour or a stage
- 95% of ALL cyclingfans and riders would agree that le Tour is the most important race, while 99% of Italian racers and fans of course think so about the Giro

First of all most posters on this side of the forum dont care about Lance Armstrong.

If you want to talk about him some more go to the Lance Armstrong subforum aka the clinic.

Youll find that those who spend most of their posts on Armstrong topics in the clinic arent the same posters who post mucho on Giro race threads.

And no one said that the Tour is not the most important race.

Tony Martin however said it was the only race. I respect someone like Contador because he rides and respects every race there is.

By the same token i lose respect for someone like Tony Martin or Wiggins or in a way Henderson, who says there is only one race around and the rest of the season means very little.

Id like to think there are other fans out there who lose respect for riders who crap on cycling like that.

Though of course Martin is slowly losing peoples respect on these boards anyway.

Bavarianrider said:

I dont see what you did there.

The Hitch said:
First of all most posters on this side of the forum dont care about Lance Armstrong.

If you want to talk about him some more go to the Lance Armstrong subforum aka the clinic.

Youll find that those who spend most of their posts on Armstrong topics in the clinic arent the same posters who post mucho on Giro race threads.

Tony Martin however said it was the only race. I respect someone like Contador because he rides and respects every race there is.

By the same token i lose respect for someone like Tony Martin or Wiggins or in a way Henderson, who says there is only one race around and the rest of the season means very little.

Id like to think there are other fans out there who lose respect for riders who crap on cycling like that.

Though of course Martin is slowly losing peoples respect on these boards anyway.

Compared to the Tpour, Giro and above all Vuelta don't mean nothing.
That's what it is
If Tony gets on the podium of the Vuelta and the Giro ten times, German media won't care. If he wins Maris Nice 10 times hardly anyone cares. If he podiums the Tour once, all of a sudden cycling will be big in Germany again and he'll be a hero. Maybe that's not fair, and so that's what it is. Therefore his statement does very well make sense.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I don't see any "Tony Martin can't climb" posters.

In fact, most posters seem to agree that if Tony Martin holds it together for 3 weeks, he can finish top 10 in the Tour de France.

But as always, favorite troll Cobblestone sees ghosts? :confused:

No ghosts. First flyers will be out soon and excitement is feelable.
Some have been preparing the party for a long time now.

Agree about your prediction. I just wanted to heat up the upcoming party when Tony will be dropped the first time.
Will be very entertaining an many ghosts there. Some of them even celebrate when a rider crashs.
I just hate those negative glee-partys where all people celebrate themselfes and whatever, you know.
When a party has good karma and good reason, I am always the first to join and hype.

Anyway, saying Tony will never win le Tour expresses as much outstanding knowledge as saying that Alberto will win a GT. lol

hrotha said:
Funny thing, no one (with the possible exception of Libertine) said anything bad about Martin until Bavarianrider popped up. Evans gets a lot of flak too. Something to think about, eh?
Not even I have said anything too negative about Martin.

I've said LOTS negative about his team, and I've been negative about the lack of selectivity of the parcours of races he's won, but nothing against Tony himself.

Everything against HTC-High Road though.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

I dont see what you did there.

Reading your unusual unimpressive post, I guess my post hurt you more, than it will hurt Tony when his respect for him around here should fade away.

"In Radsportkreisen zählt nur die Tour de France. Dort würde ich gern ein Etappensieg schaffen und Richtung Top Ten fahren."

Agree, "Tour counts most" would have actually been better choice of words than "only Tour counts".
But who cares.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
No as always Cobblestoned ruined the thread with his unfollowable way of thinking and train of tought. Turning everything into the negative.

i love this sport but the guy(cobblestoned is right, just like he is right in some other subjects). i am a cycling freak. the other 2 persons that i know that like cycling more than F1 and just a little less than football only know the tour.

think a little... giro and vuelta are for le tour just like the classics for the monuments. the best GT riders always think about the tour first and won't hesitate to put their season around it. same for gilbert and boonen for the classics.

usually those that like cycling love le tour and races in their countrys. all of us posters are\see "different". but pisti is a anomaly :D kidding..

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Martin said:
...and don't forget teajy van garderen
...and of course cav&goss for sprints...

I wonder who'll stay at home...

I'm guessing they'll want at least a few of their solid tempo boys--guys like Eisel, Grabsch, and Bak.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
These are obvious riders for the tour.

Martin
Cavendish
P. Velits
Renshaw
Eisel

They'll probably bring at least one of Grabsch and Bak as well, and Goss certainly deserves a spot after his superb season so far. Sivtsov will probably go as well, he is a very consistent rider, and will be very helpful for Velits/Martin.

That leaves none or one spot. Probably between TJ, Albasini and Roulston?

Cobblestoned said:
No ghosts. First flyers will be out soon and excitement is feelable.
Some have been preparing the party for a long time now.

Agree about your prediction. I just wanted to heat up the upcoming party when Tony will be dropped the first time.
Will be very entertaining an many ghosts there. Some of them even celebrate when a rider crashs.
I just hate those negative glee-partys where all people celebrate themselfes and whatever, you know.
When a party has good karma and good reason, I am always the first to join and hype.

Anyway, saying Tony will never win le Tour expresses as much outstanding knowledge as saying that Alberto will win a GT. lol

You do understand why there will be a 'party' when he drops from the favourite group? I don't think I have to explain it to you do I? Is it really any wonder why there will be a 'party'?

Kwibus said:
You do understand why there will be a 'party' when he drops from the favourite group? I don't think I have to explain it to you do I? Is it really any wonder why there will be a 'party'?

haters-gonna-hate-fat-american.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Well about Tony's comment, he said something like that. And that is true for the majority of average public, TV viewers, riders and even MOST of (honest) hardcorefans.
Look:
- 99% of Italian riders dream about winning Giro or a Giro-stage
- 95% of the ALL other riders dream about winning le Tour or a stage
- 95% of ALL cyclingfans and riders would agree that le Tour is the most important race, while 99% of Italian racers and fans of course think so about the Giro

I think you're leaving out the 50 or 45% of cycling fans who think only a true legend will also win a (true) Classic besides a GT (true Classic is held on a Sunday in the spring or late fall).

Back to Martin, I was a maybe voter. He'll need some super form and a luck on his side to not have any issues to keep him out of contention. He can do it though (crack the Top 10), it would make for a much more interesting Tour if he does for many a fan.

I would go Albasini/ Rabon. Maybe Brammier who is doing the Dauphine. Bak i think was said to do the TDF after going ok at Roubaix. I would say if Gretsch had not done Giro take him too as he's a solid engine. Roulston would be good but Eisel, Goss and Renshaw would be enough for Cav. I wonder if Goss will be allowed to go with Gilbert on one stage???

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Back to Martin, I was a maybe voter. He'll need some super form and a luck on his side to not have any issues to keep him out of contention. He can do it though (crack the Top 10), it would make for a much more interesting Tour if he does for many a fan.

Seriously? That Tour would probably suck balls harder than a crack wh*re.

It would have to be very controlled and pretty boring IMO and would not be awesome in any way, except for the German Fanjungens of course.