• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Too Late, Too Furious: Tokyo Drift - The 2020 Olympics Thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
But when that thread appears on neither the "New Posts" nor the "What's New" tab, then it is no wonder that people who visit this forum several times a day are totally unaware of it.

I have said it several times before, the New Posts function here does not work reliably at all.

Sadly that’s out of my hands, but hopefully now people are aware of the other thread (and indeed that there is a non-cycling discussion sub forum) to discuss other sports and not discuss in the cycling thread.

I appreciate that it is not in your hands personally or individually, but unless the software is permanently and irredeemably broken, then it presumably in someone's purview, and I have tried several times to bring it to the attention of those who might. If not you, as a moderator, or whoever (if anyone) monitors the "About this forum" section, then who?

Could we keep this thread on cycling please ladies and gents.

A reminder there are Olympic posts in both the non-cycling discussion and the track sub-forums. It would be great to keep the track talk in its own place, but I understand there is a crossover.

Other sports should be discussed in the Olympics thread here:

Of course you have to show us the way as a moderator, I appreciate your work, but honestly the sub-forum divisions don't work at all here. Now, there are some posts in the Olympics thread, and also in track cycling, but the main reason people post stuff in the road section that doesn't belong there (like this comment, I know it belongs into the about section:)) is that the other sections are either not visited at all or just by a very limited number of members. I have no clue how the administration here works, but although I'm very thankful for the possibility to post, it seems the admins or owners of this forum don't care much about how or whether the forum works.

Reactions: southwards
At least someone remembered to raise a sign or flag to warn him :p

Anyway I believe the Italians were the strongest and are the deserving winners.

I think it all came down to Ganna vs. Rodenberg. Rodenberg was still suffering from the crash yesterday (by his own words, he felt like having been run over by a truck), and you can't do that if you want to keep Ganna behind you.

Today, Denmark were slightly slower on the first 3000 meters than yesterday, so I think the decisive factor was the Danes underperforming a little today.

Last edited:
Reactions: SarahtheDane
I think it all came down to Ganna vs. Rodenberg. Rodenberg was still suffering from the crash yesterday, and you can't do that if you want to keep Ganna behind you.

Today, Denmark were slightly slower on the first 3000 meters than yesterday, so I think the decisive factor was the Danes underperforming a little today.

I think it mostly comes down to the Danes getting more of a draft from the British team yesterday, whereas Italy didn't have the same advantage against neither New Zealand or Denmark. Maybe it could have ended differently without Rodenberg's crash, but if he were too affected by it, then it might have been the wrong choice to put him in the team today in the first place.

Reactions: southwards
Of course you have to show us the way as a moderator, I appreciate your work, but honestly the sub-forum divisions don't work at all here. Now, there are some posts in the Olympics thread, and also in track cycling, but the main reason people post stuff in the road section that doesn't belong there (like this comment, I know it belongs into the about section:)) is that the other sections are either not visited at all or just by a very limited number of members. I have no clue how the administration here works, but although I'm very thankful for the possibility to post, it seems the admins or owners of this forum don't care much about how or whether the forum works.

Indeed. I wonder whether @Pricey_sky recognises the irony of his/her Administrator request that we stay on subject by discussing track racing on this thread within the Professional Road Race section rather than diverting it to the thread in the track section on the OGs.

I think it mostly comes down to the Danes getting more of a draft from the British team yesterday, whereas Italy didn't have the same advantage against neither New Zealand or Denmark. Maybe it could have ended differently without Rodenberg's crash, but if he were too affected by it, then it might have been the wrong choice to put him in the team today in the first place.

The coach was asked about keeping Rodenberg in the team today - he said they couldn't leave him out because he is such an important part of the team (as the riders that finish the races normally are).

But all in all, while this kind of racing is often about the team, it was more about an individual, Ganna, this time. I agree with Wiggins on this.

Indeed. I wonder whether @Pricey_sky recognises the irony of his/her Administrator request that we stay on subject by discussing track racing on this thread within the Professional Road Race section rather than diverting it to the thread in the track section on the OGs.

There has always been some sort of crossover between MTB/track and road cycling so it’s difficult to draw a line through there.

My post was merely to remind posters that other sports should be discussed in the Olympic thread in the non-cycling sub forum.

Whilst I appreciate there are some issues with the new posts tab it’s not an excuse as said non-cycling sub forum has always been there on the main menu with topics regularly frequented by members.

Rather than clog up this thread, if you have any further issues please PM me and I’ll do my best to help.

I honestly can't see how the Danes got any draft until they ran into Tanfield. Regarding Rodenberg: it's always a though choice between the better rider that just crashed, or the slightly worse reserve rider.

Reactions: Danskebjerge
I honestly can't see how the Danes got any draft until they ran into Tanfield. Regarding Rodenberg: it's always a though choice between the better rider that just crashed, or the slightly worse reserve rider.

Well they were closer to the Brits than the Italians were to the Kiwis and Danes in their runs, but I obviously can't say how much of a difference it actually made.

Mainly I just don't want to come up with a lot of excuses here. In the end Italy broke the WR twice and after an exciting final they became the rightful champions.

It will be ineteresting to see which team will be the first to break the 3:40 barrier. That might not even be the Danes or Italians with the level we've seen from the other countries, if the track and conditions in Japan hasn't made too much of difference.

Well they were closer to the Brits than the Italians were to the Kiwis and Danes in their runs, but I obviously can't say how much of a difference it actually made.

Mainly I just don't want to come up with a lot of excuses here. In the end Italy broke the WR twice and after an exciting final they became the rightful champions.

It will be ineteresting to see which team will be the first to break the 3:40 barrier. That might not even be the Danes or Italians with the level we've seen from the other countries, if the track and conditions in Japan hasn't made too much of difference.
If a team ever has 3 riders within 99% of the capabilities of Ganna, and one fast starter for the first 3 laps, they can still shave off 5+ seconds (imho).

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
The rundown from the semifinal and the final of the 4000 meter races shows that the Danes would have won gold if they had ridden just as fast in the final as they did against GB:

DENMARK - SEMIFINAL
1000 1.00,762
2000 1.53,809
3000 2.47,502
3750 3.27,737
4000 3.41,368 (projected - if the crash had not happened)

DENMARK - FINAL
1000 1.01,078
2000 1.54,308
3000 2.47,659
3750 3.28,657
4000 3.42,198

ITALY - FINAL
1000 1.00,858
2000 1.54,166
3000 2.48,526
3750 3.28,852
4000 3.42,032