• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 10 Cyclists from your country of all time

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
I assume we're talking road cyclists here? Otherwise I'd knock a name or two off the U.S. list and replace them with trackies.

Regarding the road cyclists, the lists seem heavy with Grand Tour riders. Which makes sense in most ways. The only wildcard name that jumps out at me as missing is the 1984 gold medalist Grewal. He has nothing else major in his palmares, but a gold medal is worth a lot.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Puerto said:
yeah surely gives some Associations

Bo_Hamburger_DM_2005.jpg
+
hamburger.jpg

If I had a choice, I would have picked Bo Hamburger as my name. For now, I'll have to settle for Bo Regard.

Canada....

I think the Canadian list needs to include Eric Wholberg...a class act, Commonwealth Games gold, Langkwai TT etc etc. As we're talking road cyclists take out Harnett (who, strictly speaking was not a pro). There was also a Canadian who rode the Tour in the 30's. That has to count for something.

Oops...forgot Hugh Walton as well...rode for 7-eleven and Levi's I think.

pmcg76 said:
Ireland, small country(4.5million people) not many cyclists but 2 big, big stars

1.Sean Kelly, No explanations needed
2.Stephen Roche, ditto
3.Shay Elliott, stage winner TDF, yellow jersey wearer TDF, team-mate of Anquteil
4.Martin Earley, TDF, Giro stage winner
5.Dan Martin, current pro, will be very big
6.Nicolas Roche, current pro, Top 25 TDF, Irish Champion
7.Mark Scanlon, former Junior World Champion, Tour finisher
8.Philip Deignan, current Pro, 3 GT finishes
9.Paul Kimmage, 3 TDF participations, 1 Giro participation
10.No clear candidate-
Ciaran Power/Laurence Roche, Conor Henry, David O'Loughlin

Shay O Hanlon, 4 time Ras winner should be included

A

Anonymous

cothercott said:
1 Tommy Simpson
2 Nicole Cooke
3 Bradley Wiggins
4 Chris Boardman
5 Chris Hoy
6 Beryl Burton
7 Robert Millar
8 Mark Cavendish
9 Barry Hoban
10 Sean Yates

Hon Mention to some great riders that would have done more internationally with the sort of set ups available now: Sid Barras, Dave Lloyd, Les West, Hugh Porter - classy riders all - and how about Malcolm Eliot for sheer longevity? A top european pro with Teka, then a dominant presence in the US for years and now a player in the UK again.

Id have malcolm elliot in that list, the guy is a legend, not sure who to remove though.. toss about between yates, or given that he is still early in his career cav..

im waiting for the aussie list.. :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
What - page 4 and no Australians yet? Here is my list in no particular order of road cyclists:

Sir Hubert Opperman
Phil Anderson
Robbie McEwen
Stuey O'Grady
Cadel Evans
Baden Cooke
Russell Mockridge
Michael Rogers
Anna Wilson
Oenone Wood

The list would be much longer if track cyclists were to be included!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
A list from down under - but on the right side of the Tasman (figuratively and literally) ... So, since the title doesn't place any particular limits on the list, here's my pick for NZ:

Sarah Ulmer - three world records, world champ and olympic gold in pursuit all in 2004, plus a handy roadie
Brian Fowler - one of the best amateurs who never turned pro - despite what were reported to be some seriously good offers (in light of the "Clinic" threads, maybe he was the smart one??)
Jack Swart - absolute demon rider, could still kick many a **** - and he's in his 60's
Eric Mackenzie - one of the original hard men from down under to race pro in Europe
Julian Dean - ask Thor, Tyler or anyone else who's raced with him
Greg Henderson - former scratch race world champ on the track and a damn good roadie
Hayden Roulsten - another awesome trackie, plus overcome a major heart problem to get back into the pro peleton with Cervelo
Karen Halliday - points race world champ in 1990
Tino Tabak - actually Dutch, but moved to NZ in the early '70's and was a major force in building road racing at that time
Kashi Leuchs - NZ's most successful MTB racer - been a consistent top 10 ranked rider for years

As with any list, that leaves heaps of people out ... I could think of at least another twenty or so riders who could figure ... and I bet most of you didn't think that there were that many riders in NZ, total!! ;)

I think the Belgian list will include mostly guys who could be in the Top 20 cyclists ever. I lived in Belgium for a year so gonna be arrogant and do a list for Belgium. Its near impossible so here goes, let the fun begin.

Eddy Merckx
Rik Van Looy
Roger De Vlaeminck
Rik Van Steenbergen
Freddy Maertens
Lucien Van Impe
Johan Museeuw
Claude Criquelion
Walter Planckaert
Tom Boonen

Briek Schotte, Philippe Thys, Eric Leman, Sylvene Maes are others way before my time. We could have a Top 10 Belgian list from the 70s alone and it would beat most other lists.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
cothercott said:
1 Tommy Simpson
2 Nicole Cooke
3 Bradley Wiggins
4 Chris Boardman
5 Chris Hoy
6 Beryl Burton
7 Robert Millar
8 Mark Cavendish
9 Barry Hoban
10 Sean Yates

Hon Mention to some great riders that would have done more internationally with the sort of set ups available now: Sid Barras, Dave Lloyd, Les West, Hugh Porter - classy riders all - and how about Malcolm Eliot for sheer longevity? A top european pro with Teka, then a dominant presence in the US for years and now a player in the UK again.

how about the legendary REG Harris?

ak-zaaf said:
ze nezzerlandz

imho:
1. joop zoetemelk
2. jan raas
3. jan janssen
4. hennie kuiper
5. theo middelkamp
6. wim van est
7. steven rooks
8. gerrie knetemann
9. johan van der velde
10. adrie van der poel

You must rate my idol Van Der Poel higher than 10. He was a monster both on the road and in cross, and I believe the only rider to win World Cups in both.

bikenrunnwt said:
Canada:

1) Steve Bauer
2) Micheal Barry
3) Ryder Hesjedal
4) Gord Fraser
5) Svein Tuft
6) Alex Stieda
7) Brian Walton
8) Curt Harnett (Track)
9) Christian Meier (Watch out for him when he gets some more Euro experience in!)
10) Alison Sydor (Best Canadian female cyclist on road and mtb!)

OK Two more Canadians who should be on your list:

Lyne Bessette (dominated the road scene for a long time)
Clara Hughes (Road Bronze TT Bronze same olympics and then speed skating medals)

By the way Sydor rocked on the dirt but was not the equal of the above two ladies on the pavement.

Denmark:

Rolf Sørensen
Bjarne Riis
Jesper Skibby
Ole Ritter
Leif Mortensen
Michael Rasmussen
Kim Andersen
Bo Hamburger
Lars Michaelsen
Nicki Sørensen

Riders like Jacob Fuglsang, Matti Breschel and Chris Anker Sørensen should replace some of the older ones if they keep up their riding.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
What - page 4 and no Australians yet? Here is my list in no particular order of road cyclists:

Sir Hubert Opperman
Phil Anderson
Robbie McEwen
Stuey O'Grady
Cadel Evans
Baden Cooke
Russell Mockridge
Michael Rogers
Anna Wilson
Oenone Wood

Danny Clarke. Alan Peiper for Baden Cooke and Oenone Wood.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Garry Allen said:
Danny Clarke. Alan Peiper for Baden Cooke and Oenone Wood.

Good call on Alan Peiper. I didn't include Danny Clarke because he was much better on the track than the road. Our track top 10 would be very difficult!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:

Sir Hubert Opperman
Phil Anderson
Robbie McEwen
Stuey O'Grady
Cadel Evans
Baden Cooke
Russell Mockridge
Michael Rogers

Anna Wilson
Oenone Wood

+
Bradley McGee
Neil Stephens/Simon Gerrans

The girls should have their own thread.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:
+
Bradley McGee
Neil Stephens/Simon Gerrans

The girls should have their own thread.

OK - now some deficiencies in my memory and knowledge have been exposed, how about this (again, no particular order):

Sir Hubert Opperman
Phil Anderson
Robbie McEwen
Stuey O'Grady
Cadel Evans
Brad McGee
Russell Mockridge
Michael Rogers
Alan Peiper
Neil Stephens

Alternates: Baden Cooke and Simon Gerrans

Leaving out Cookie was difficult as an ex-green jersey winner, but he never really capitalized on that form and hence I've given Brad McGee the nod instead. Simon Gerrans is also difficult to leave out as a stage winner in both the TdF and Giro and winner of the TDU, but I think some of the trail blazers and hard men of yesteryear deserve their dues. I have purposely not included Haussler, just because it is a convenient excuse that he is German this year. I would have otherwise included him, but I would know who to take out! Others current professionals that didn't make it, but deserve honourable mentions include Matt White, Matt Lloyd, William Walker, Nick Gates, Matthew Hayman, Allan Davis, Ben Day, Brett Lancaster, and Mark Renshaw, just to name a few.

kiwirider said:
A list from down under - but on the right side of the Tasman (figuratively and literally) ... So, since the title doesn't place any particular limits on the list, here's my pick for NZ:

Sarah Ulmer - three world records, world champ and olympic gold in pursuit all in 2004, plus a handy roadie
Brian Fowler - one of the best amateurs who never turned pro - despite what were reported to be some seriously good offers (in light of the "Clinic" threads, maybe he was the smart one??)
Jack Swart - absolute demon rider, could still kick many a **** - and he's in his 60's
Eric Mackenzie - one of the original hard men from down under to race pro in Europe
Julian Dean - ask Thor, Tyler or anyone else who's raced with him
Greg Henderson - former scratch race world champ on the track and a damn good roadie
Hayden Roulsten - another awesome trackie, plus overcome a major heart problem to get back into the pro peleton with Cervelo
Karen Halliday - points race world champ in 1990
Tino Tabak - actually Dutch, but moved to NZ in the early '70's and was a major force in building road racing at that time
Kashi Leuchs - NZ's most successful MTB racer - been a consistent top 10 ranked rider for years

As with any list, that leaves heaps of people out ... I could think of at least another twenty or so riders who could figure ... and I bet most of you didn't think that there were that many riders in NZ, total!! ;)

Nice list... I'd only do a couple differently.

1. Sarah Ulmer
2. Tino Tabak (top twenty in the Tour, a Dutch national championship, two podiums at Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne and a 2nd in the Tour of Flanders are still enviable palmares amongst "Kiwi" cyclists).
3. Paul Jesson (still only Kiwi to win an individual Grand Tour stage - 1980 Vuelta, stage 10. Would have a far greater palmares had it not been for the accident in which he lost his leg).
4. Greg Henderson (track world championship, numerous road wins in the US and only Kiwi to win a ProTour road race gets him ahead of Julz).
5. Julian Dean
6. Hayden Roulston
7. Brian Fowler (remaining amateur counts against him IMO as he was never tested at a truly top level)
8. Graeme Millar
9. Jack Swart
10. Eric Mackenzie

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Ireland, small country(4.5million people) not many cyclists but 2 big, big stars

1.Sean Kelly, No explanations needed
2.Stephen Roche, ditto
3.Shay Elliott, stage winner TDF, yellow jersey wearer TDF, team-mate of Anquteil
4.Martin Earley, TDF, Giro stage winner
5.Dan Martin, current pro, will be very big
6.Nicolas Roche, current pro, Top 25 TDF, Irish Champion
7.Mark Scanlon, former Junior World Champion, Tour finisher
8.Philip Deignan, current Pro, 3 GT finishes
9.Paul Kimmage, 3 TDF participations, 1 Giro participation
10.No clear candidate-
Ciaran Power/Laurence Roche, Conor Henry, David O'Loughlin

Pretty much agree - I wouldn't have Martin #5 just yet! (Maybe after the Vuelta though) I think I'd have Roche and Deignan above him for their GT results so far. Deignan was on for a decent finish in the Giro this year before crashing while bringing Carlos Sastre to the foot of a climb.

David O'Loughlin is decent on the track so probably sneaks #10 for me.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
OK - now some deficiencies in my memory and knowledge have been exposed, how about this (again, no particular order):

Sir Hubert Opperman
Phil Anderson
Robbie McEwen
Stuey O'Grady
Cadel Evans
Brad McGee
Russell Mockridge
Michael Rogers
Alan Peiper
Neil Stephens

Alternates: Baden Cooke and Simon Gerrans

Leaving out Cookie was difficult as an ex-green jersey winner, but he never really capitalized on that form and hence I've given Brad McGee the nod instead. Simon Gerrans is also difficult to leave out as a stage winner in both the TdF and Giro and winner of the TDU, but I think some of the trail blazers and hard men of yesteryear deserve their dues.

I'd be happy with that list for the male road cyclists.Since it's the list of the top 10 Australian cyclists of all time, I think we have to start thinking about track riders as well. Danny Clarke and Gary Gilmour to start.

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Garry Allen said:
I'd be happy with that list for the male road cyclists.Since it's the list of the top 10 Australian cyclists of all time, I think we have to start thinking about track riders as well. Danny Clarke and Gary Gilmour to start.

Any list for Aussies that doesn't include Sid Patterson isn't worth the effort!
And it's Graham Gilmour, Gary Gilmour was a cricketer!
In no particular order-

Russell Mockridge
Sid Patterson
Sir Hubert Opperman
Phil Anderson
Robbie McEwan
Cadel Evans
Stuart O'Grady
Danny Clarke
Don Allan
Peter Besanko