• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 10 male riders of the 21st century.

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
King Boonen said:
Yeah, but it was close. While he may not have a GT I think Rodriguez has been consistently one of the best riders in the peloton and deserves recognition.

If Evans had got a monument though he probably would have won out in that decision.

He's got a world championship. Isn't that comparable to a monument?

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Netserk said:
Whom of Armstrong, Contador, Bettini, Boonen and Cancellara will Valverde kick out of the top-5?

Its a very subjective thread,little point in querying others choices,almost impossible to dispute anyones view,favouritism to the fore,which is good! :)

King Boonen said:
I was including that but for me, no, it isn't.

But he even beat JROD there and unlike many other courses and even races it was a hard course and a race of attrition (not like the borefest of Copenhagen).

With the Boonen and Cancellara part- of course Boonen has a WC RR title, but Cancellara has mastered so many disciplines, has won M-SR, just a few ITT titles, Olympic Gold and unlike Boonen has actually been part of a TDF winning team, where he rode superbly (for 3 weeks).

greenedge said:
But he even beat JROD there and unlike many other courses and even races it was a hard course and a race of attrition (not like the borefest of Copenhagen).

I'm pretty sure the Spanish were riding for Valverde, although my memory may be wrong (Don't know why you bring up Copenhagen?).

But anyways, Monument > WRCC and Purito has won Lombardia twice.

Tournesol said:
Its a very subjective thread,little point in querying others choices,almost impossible to dispute anyones view,favouritism to the fore,which is good! :)

The whole point of the thread is to query other's choices and discuss why some should be ranked over others. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to share your own ranking.

I'm not saying there's an objective and correct answer to the question, but people should be able to defend/explain their views. It is quite obvious that if Valverde is a certain top-5, then he will have to rank higher than at least one of the five names I mentioned. Should be easy to pick one of them if you truly think Valverde should be in everyone's top-5.

King Boonen said:
I'm pretty sure the Spanish were riding for Valverde, although my memory may be wrong (Don't know why you bring up Copenhagen?).

But anyways, Monument > WRCC and Purito has won Lombardia twice.

Well, Purito was there with Evans and Kolobnev but didn't manage to catch the Aussie : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pICMVTT7rIc

I am a huge fan of Cadel, I admit that, but I honestly think that one Tour de France + 4 other GT podiums + WRCC + Fl?che Wallonne + Tirreno + 2 Romandie is better than 3 GT podiums + 2 Il Lombardia + Fl?che Wallonne + Catalunya. Even if J-Rod has won the UCI classification three times (only one for Evans).

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Netserk said:
The whole point of the thread is to query other's choices and discuss why some should be ranked over others. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to share your own ranking.

Aah...i understand,i think i have definitely missed the point of the thread,i thought it was a sort of state your choices thread,didn't occur to me it was a discuss and explain your picks type thread.Doh!:eek:

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Whom of Armstrong, Contador, Bettini, Boonen and Cancellara will Valverde kick out of the top-5?

He has a shot at displacing all of these if you weigh all-roundedness and podium places sufficiently high.

The rest of the rankings are similarly contingent on how much value we assign to races and placs. If everything but victory counts close to nothing, with the Tour by far the greatest race, then it is very hard to make a case for anyone but Armstrong as #1.

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Netserk said:
Looooooooooool

I have Contador 1st, Cunego 10th.

That said, of course my list isn't set in stones, but I will happily engage in a discussion about it.

I mistyped Contador for Evans,then deleted my post,give me a break! :)

Cunego over Evans,explain? ;)

Tournesol said:
I mistyped Contador for Evans,then deleted my post,give me a break! :)

Cunego over Evans,explain? ;)
As I said, it isn't set in stones. Both Evans and Gilbert could easily be included.

Cunego has won Lombardia three times. Won Amstel and the Giro as well. Arguably he could've been ahead of Valverde. But it's very close and if I re-evaluated everyone, I guess Evans would make the 10. Remember no one has ever won a monument and a GT in the same year since Cunego. Big wins get bigger when it's combined with other big wins.

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Netserk said:
As I said, it isn't set in stones. Both Evans and Gilbert could easily be included.

Cunego has won Lombardia three times. Won Amstel and the Giro as well. Arguably he could've been ahead of Valverde. But it's very close and if I re-evaluated everyone, I guess Evans would make the 10.

Your right,compiling the list was extremely difficult,Cunego has been forgotten by many due to the mediocrity of his career lately,considered him and also had an issue leaving out Freire due to his WC's and MSR's.I could have done a top 15 alot easier but top 10 it was so some tough choices.