• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 10 Tour de France

Let's put the top 10 of the next Tour de France's general classification, according to me:

1)Froome
2)Contador
3)Porte
4)Pinot
5)Schleck A.
6)Hesjedal
7)Valverde
8)Van Garderen
9)Van den Broeck
10)Cunego

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
1. Froome
2. Contador
3. Quintana
4. purito
5. Pinot
6. Valverde
7. Schleck :cool:
8. Mollema
9. Porte
10. Van Garderen/Talansky

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
1- Contador
2- Froome
3- Hesjedal
4- Evans
5- Purito
6- Pinot
7- Rolland
8- Valverde
9- Anton
10- Cunego

What I wish

1- Cunego
2- Anton
3-10 Don't care

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
1) Froome
2) Contador
3) Rodriguez
4) Van Garderen
5) Quintana
6) Pinot
7) Hesjedal
8) Van den Broeck
9) Martin
10) Porte

This years also rans Rolland, Cunego, Cadel Evans, Schleck, Valverde

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
Quintana is hyped in an irreal way. Andy Schleck had far lesser predictions prior the 2008 Tour.

The forum didn't even exist back then :rolleyes: Besides prove it, you make a claim thus prove it.

1.Contador (following my guts, not the brain)
2.Froome
3.Hesjedal (i feel he might do something crazy to get that spot, hopefully he'll be in a great shape)
4.Porte
5.Valverde
6.Purito (i think he'll collaps a bit at the end thus only 6)
7.VDB2
8.Quintana
9.Pinot
10.Rolland

Always Real difficult to give a top 10.

I think Evans will collaps completely (Madeleine-style). Andy lacks the fitness for 3 weeks (imo), he should go for a stage win and mountain jersey.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I forgot Hesjedal in my top ten. I'm really curious to see what he can do this year. First week of the Giro he looked great, maybe we will see him in even better form? Also another rider not afraid to attack when he needs to.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
The forum didn't even exist back then :rolleyes: Besides prove it, you make a claim thus prove it.

1.Contador (following my guts, not the brain)
2.Froome
3.Hesjedal (i feel he might do something crazy to get that spot, hopefully he'll be in a great shape)
4.Porte
5.Valverde
6.Purito (i think he'll collaps a bit at the end thus only 6)
7.VDB2
8.Quintana
9.Pinot
10.Rolland

Always Real difficult to give a top 10.

I remember general public opinion prior the Tours very well, because Ive actively read other English speaking forums back then, plus followed my national terrain internet cycling community surely. Favorites in decreasing order were Evans-Valverde-Sastre-Menchov-Cunego-F.Schleck

I'm sorry if this continues to sidetrack the thread, but it seemed an interesting question to look into what was said about Andy Schleck, another 23-year-old potential GT contender, before his first TDF in 2008.

From the Cyclingnews preview (http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/):

"[Contador's] absence narrows the list of favourites to just five men: Cadel Evans (Silence-Lotto), Damiano Cunego (Lampre), Alejandro Valverde (Caisse d'Epargne), Denis Menchov (Rabobank) and Carlos Sastre (CSC-Saxo)."

It went on to add:

"Working in favour of CSC is its depth; it has the Schleck brothers – Fränk and Andy – to back up [Sastre]. Fränk showed well in the recent Tour de Suisse despite a wicked-looking crash and younger brother Andy, best young rider in the 2007 Giro d'Italia is team's GC joker."

For what it's worth, the preview went on to list a number of "outside favorites for the overall title," including Devolder.:eek:

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Cannot believe the number of people here that don't put Evans in as part of their top 10. That would be my BANKER (for top 10 status). Better than Froome, Contador, Quintana (hype me to the moon and let me play among the stars), Pinot, et al.

Not saying Cuddles is going to win, but he's going to be there or there abouts.

airstream said:
Quintana is hyped in an irreal way. Andy Schleck had far lesser predictions prior the 2008 Tour.

Is it hype of hope? A person's top 10 isn't always based in reality. Just like your exaggerated post about Contador falling off Alpe d'huez is extreme I'd imagine many of the top 10 lists are who many want in the top 10 not who they truly believe will make it. As far as Quintana, Valverde has made it clear publicly that Quintana will be a threat in any race...that Valverde is not racing, at least until he retires. Thus unless Valverde has a truly stellar Tour, with minimal moments of being put into difficulty-making Quintana work even more for him and less for his own position in the gc, I don't think Quintana will make the top 5 in gc.

Edit: That said, I predict Quintana will finish higher in the gc in his first Tour than Andy did.:p

TRENDING THREADS