• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 5 super-domestique moments 2011

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glodRdTb-BE

There was no mechanical. Evans got dropped, plain and simple.

The video footage doesn't lie. ;) He clearly was already at his max when Frank got dropped.

He did say in an interview that he was on the revert, but he said he could not work out why as he felt ok.

Anyway history tells us that the Mechanical or " Mechanical" which ever camp your in was a positive for Evans.

Funny thing watching the video Fränk should be happy Evans came back to the group only reason he did not lose 15 min on the stage -image if Evans, Contador and Andy stayed away.

just some guy said:
He did say in an interview that he was on the revert, but he said he could not work out why as he felt ok.

Anyway history tells us that the Mechanical or " Mechanical" which ever camp your in was a positive for Evans.

Funny thing watching the video Fränk should be happy Evans came back to the group only reason he did not lose 15 min on the stage -image if Evans, Contador and Andy stayed away.

Evans may have felt perfectly fine, but he isn't as good a climber as the other two. That's kinda what it boils down to....... in my opinion. He was still one of the best climbers in the race at that point, despite the fact that he got dropped. He also had to close some gaps that the other two, mostly Andy, did NOT. I recall Lelangue saying there was nothing wrong with his bike on Belgian TV. Keep in mind also that Samu dropped Evans later on when Evans had changed bikes...

Frank should be very happy indeed. BUT the course that day didn't really lend itself to long range attacks. Maybe if they had finished in Les Deux Alpes instead?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Yeah he did. He killed himself on Iozard -flat - flat - Galibier while Frank rode in the group.

He then killed himself following Contador while Frank rode in the group.

It was there for Frank to launch an attack on Alpe.

But he didnt do it.

I think if Evans hadnt got his mechanical on telegraphe, maybe Frank would have been in an even better position.

that wasn't team work, but rather trying to win le tour.
There were other guys in franks position who failed too. i.e basso.

just some guy said:

Andy wasnt going to work to get away from Frank and Cadel was not going to work period.

Contador was the only who would have worked, and Contador is not going to gain 15 minutes on the peloton alone, especially not in his July 2011 state.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Froome and Monfort of course. I don't find how their and Wiggins' works possible to compare. If Monfort didn't help at Lautaret, Schleck would likely be out of the podium. If Froome didn't hedge Wiggins in the mountains, Wiggins wouldn't pretend on even top-5. Wiggins just did much basic work at the front protecting peloton from attacks. If he was not able to on that day, there would necessarily be other guys who could have done that instead of him.

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Cyclesport has Bak as it.

'Who is the best domestique in the world? By our reckoning, HTC rider Lars Bak has a strong case. He supported team mates to wins more times than any other rider in 2011, contributing to 20 victories in total. Bak talked to Ellis Bacon about how he has adapted his strengths to becoming the ultimate team rider, but with his transfer to Lotto in 2012, he’ll have an opportunity to have others ride for him. Bak was fifth in Paris-Roubaix this year, and he tells us his ambitions aren’t just for his team-mates.'

CS-Dec-Bak-2.jpg

Thomsena said:
Cyclesport has Bak as it.

'Who is the best domestique in the world? By our reckoning, HTC rider Lars Bak has a strong case. He supported team mates to wins more times than any other rider in 2011, contributing to 20 victories in total. Bak talked to Ellis Bacon about how he has adapted his strengths to becoming the ultimate team rider, but with his transfer to Lotto in 2012, he’ll have an opportunity to have others ride for him. Bak was fifth in Paris-Roubaix this year, and he tells us his ambitions aren’t just for his team-mates.'
This thread wasn't about top 5 domestiques but top 5 singular domestique performances though. If it were about top 5 domestiques then the list certainly would be different, including guys like Voigt, Bak, O'Grady or so.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Did I say it made sense? :confused:

It's Evans we're talking about. Lelangue said there was nothing wrong with Evans' bike, nothing they could detect, anyway, and I have no reason to doubt him. I would trust the guys at BMC over what Cadel thinks happened.

No, neither did I say you did.

Just stated that is was weird and that it wouldn't make any sense. Why stop and change bike and risk losing the Tour unless there was some problems with it? I'd trust the guy that risked finally winning the Tour on a bike change.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Favourite domestique moment was Galibier at the tour. Rolland seemed to ask Voekler if he should help Evans, and was told absolutely not. I get the feeling if he did, only F Schleck, Rolland and Evans would have gone to the line together.

karlboss said:
Favourite domestique moment was Galibier at the tour. Rolland seemed to ask Voekler if he should help Evans, and was told absolutely not. I get the feeling if he did, only F Schleck, Rolland and Evans would have gone to the line together.
Yup, and Voeckler would probably have finished in the podium. It's hard for some Andy and Alberto's fanboys to recognize this :D

cineteq said:
Yup, and Voeckler would probably have finished in the podium. It's hard for some Andy and Alberto's fanboys to recognize this :D

Hang on, in the other thread you just said Evans could have dropped Voeckler up Galibier on his own.

And now you say he would have needed Rollands help to do it.

Your trolling is really inconsistent.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Did I say it made sense? :confused:

It's Evans we're talking about. Lelangue said there was nothing wrong with Evans' bike, nothing they could detect, anyway, and I have no reason to doubt him. I would trust the guys at BMC over what Cadel thinks happened.

I was sitting well when he attacked, but feeling pretty average," Evans said. "I think there was something wrong with my rear wheel and it was slowing me down a bit. For that reason, I changed bikes. When they're going pretty fast and you have to stop three times, the chances of getting back by yourself are pretty limited. But the team eventually came back and rode just fantastic all the way to the steepest slopes of the Galibier." -bmcracingteam site

I was not feeling great on the wheel, and maybe it was because my wheel had decided to shift a little in the frame-very energy inefficient if it drags on the brake pads. And a very inopportune time to change bikes. Anyway, legs felt better on my spare bike, being 2min behind didn't feel very good though - Cadel Evans

There is your answer so you can stop spreading bull**** rumours around. How would Lelangue know more than Cadel regarding what was wrong with the bike? You Valverde fans are very dirty on him winning, aren't you?:rolleyes:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Hang on, in the other thread you just said Evans could have dropped Voeckler up Galibier on his own.

Do you know what a ":D" means????

I guess having an opinion opposing yours is trolling?:rolleyes:

The Hitch said:

What I say in the other thread is very consistent with I said here. You're seeing your own story, completely different of what i wrote.

PS: It must be late in your part of the world, tomorrow I suggest you *read* what I wrote - again

auscyclefan94 said:
I was sitting well when he attacked, but feeling pretty average," Evans said. "I think there was something wrong with my rear wheel and it was slowing me down a bit. For that reason, I changed bikes. When they're going pretty fast and you have to stop three times, the chances of getting back by yourself are pretty limited. But the team eventually came back and rode just fantastic all the way to the steepest slopes of the Galibier." -bmcracingteam site

I was not feeling great on the wheel, and maybe it was because my wheel had decided to shift a little in the frame-very energy inefficient if it drags on the brake pads. And a very inopportune time to change bikes. Anyway, legs felt better on my spare bike, being 2min behind didn't feel very good though - Cadel Evans

There is your answer so you can stop spreading bull**** rumours around. How would Lelangue know more than Cadel regarding what was wrong with the bike? You Valverde fans are very dirty on him winning, aren't you?:rolleyes:

It's not a bull**** rumor. It's what he said.

But believe what you will. If Evans only got dropped because of a mechanical, though, and felt better on his spare bike, then how did Sanchez drop him AFTER the bike change? *does not follow*

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:

Fail to see how Rolland riding everyone but Evans and Schleck off his wheel gets Voekler a podium, in case you missed it, if Rolland lifted the pace at all, Voekler would have been dropped.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Seems all psychological to me. Evans thought he was losing the Tour at that point. He freaked out and thought it was bike. Note the "maybe" in his explanation, too.

In my opinion. ;)

I don't blame Evans at all. They say a huge percentage of the game is psychological. If he felt something wasn't right, it didn't necessarily matter if he could place it, it's better to do something about it. Getting a new bike could easily have been a placebo effect, making him feel better about his equipment, and investigation of the original bike could have shown nothing wrong, but when you're in a "Tour: win or lose?" situation like that, it's better to be safe rather than sorry.

karlboss said:
Fail to see how Rolland riding everyone but Evans and Schleck off his wheel gets Voekler a podium, in case you missed it, if Rolland lifted the pace at all, Voekler would have been dropped.
I said *probably* in my sentence. You didn't know at the time what could have happened. But that was Voeckler best chance to finish in the podium, and he let it go.