• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top Ten of 2012

Netserk said:
1st: Wiggins
2nd: Boonen
3rd: Purito
4th: Contador
5th: Hesjedal
6th: Gerrans
7th: Nibali
8th: Valverde
9th: Martin
10th: Gilbert

Honourable mentions go to: Costa, Sagan, EBH, Iglinsky, Degenkolb, Froome and Sanchez (Samu).

IMO

how does 1 good performance in an entire season put any of those 2 inside the top 10?

Sagan and Costa had better seasons, and same could be argued for EBH and Froome

1. Boonen - impressive 4 wins in a row E3-Paris Roubaix
2. Sagan - incredible season for a 22 year old
3. Contador - won the toughest 3 week race this year
4. Wiggins - impressive results, but TDF win not that impressive...
5. EBH - biased maybe but apart from Paris-Roubaix impressive form all season
6. Purito - almost but no cigar
7. Pozzovivo - best climber when in top form
8. Gilbert - impressive worlds win
9. Samu Sanchez - finally won his home race, unlucky with injuries
10. Froome - should have won TDF

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
1. Wiggins
2. Boonen
3. Rodriguez
4. Sagan
5. Contador
6. Hesjedal
7. Greipel
8. Nibali
9. Gilbert
10. Froome

Honestly, Hesjedal is probably the worst rider by far in this top ten, but he still won the Giro so yeah... Froome should be higher if you think about it, but he only won one race...

Honorable mentions to Simon Gerrans and EBH. I'd probably have included EBH if he wasn't playing second fiddle so much at Team Sky. Simon Gerrans was a surprise Monument winner à la Iglinsky, but he won more races than the latter.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
how does 1 good performance in an entire season put any of those 2 inside the top 10?

Sagan and Costa had better seasons, and same could be argued for EBH and Froome

I would agree that sagan should CERTAINLY be in the top 10. But Gilbert deserves to be in there after all, the worlds is the biggest one day race of the year.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
1. Boonen
2. Wiggins
3. Purito
4. Sagan
5. Contador
6. Froome
7. Hesjedal
8. Nibali
9. Greipel
10. Degenkolb

11. Gerrans
12. Valverde
13. EBH

Also, to those who put Valverde above Nibali...how do you justify that? Tour podium, TA winner and 2 monument podiums vs a Vuelta podium and podium results in mid-level races?

dlwssonic said:
I would agree that sagan should CERTAINLY be in the top 10. But Gilbert deserves to be in there after all, the worlds is the biggest one day race of the year.
Still, he's 22nd on the CQ ranking, which most would agree is a pretty accurate ranking. I mean, most lists here basically consist of 10 from the top 15 in the CQ ranking at some slightly different order, but to include a guy who has scored only 1000 cq points (his worst points-tally in five years) is certainly not mandatory. Particularly considering the fact that he effectively only was a reasonably good rider for a month or so, which in my view doesn't qualify in a top 10 for the year.

El Pistolero said:
1. Wiggins
2. Boonen
3. Rodriguez
4. Sagan
5. Contador
6. Hesjedal
7. Greipel
8. Nibali
9. Gilbert
10. Froome

Honestly, Hesjedal is probably the worst rider by far in this top ten, but he still won the Giro so yeah... Froome should be higher if you think about it, but he only won one race...

Honorable mentions to Simon Gerrans and EBH. I'd probably have included EBH if he wasn't playing second fiddle so much at Team Sky. Simon Gerrans was a surprise Monument winner à la Iglinsky, but he won more races than the latter.

Can't really think of any other list than this, perhaps Degenkolb instead of Froome because Froome only won 1 race in the end

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
whittashau said:
1. Boonen
2. Wiggins
3. Purito
4. Sagan
5. Contador
6. Froome
7. Hesjedal
8. Nibali
9. Greipel
10. Degenkolb

11. Gerrans
12. Valverde
13. EBH

Also, to those who put Valverde above Nibali...how do you justify that? Tour podium, TA winner and 2 monument podiums vs a Vuelta podium and podium results in mid-level races?

3 Gt stages + Vuelta Points classification + a number of stage wins and a smallish stag erace vs TA. and a smallish stage race

i guess there's one major distinction to be made regarding 2 groups of people showing themselves in threads like these: some of us value overall competitiveness and podiums over actual wins. nothing' wrong with either approach really. for me however, sports are about wins 1st and foremost.

2nd places.. "Of all the losers, you came in 1st.. of that group. You're the #1 loser. Noone lost ahead of you." - Seinfeld

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyIl_iVTxy4

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Can't really think of any other list than this, perhaps Degenkolb instead of Froome because Froome only won 1 race in the end

Yeah, I forgot him with my honorable mentions. The reason I included Froome was because he was arguably the strongest man in the Tour de France and he wasn't bad at the Vuelta either. On the other hand, the sprinting field at the Vuelta was weak. But Degenkolb impressed me never the less at the WC in Limburg with his fourth place. He had a slow start of the season though. He was good in Milan-San Remo, but that's about the only thing I can remember from him in the spring classics. Last year he was pretty good at the Omloop het Nieuwsblad, but this year he didn't really do anything during the cobbled classics.

I think Milan-San Remo next year will be a battle between Peter Sagan and John Degenkolb. Unless Cavendish survives the Poggio.

whittashau said:
1. Boonen
2. Wiggins
3. Purito
4. Sagan
5. Contador
6. Froome
7. Hesjedal
8. Nibali
9. Greipel
10. Degenkolb

11. Gerrans
12. Valverde
13. EBH

Valverde deserves to be in the top-10 over Degenkolb and Greipel, though. He was second in the Vuelta, got a bronze medal at the Worlds, and won a stage at the Tour + another 2 at the Vuelta + the points jersey. Greipel and Degenkolb can't compete with that as far as high-profile results are concerned. No way in hell.

I'd also put Cavendish ahead of those guys with wins in both the Tour and the Giro. His last two wins at the TDF **** on Greipel's entire season. Regardless, Greipel only has 3 Tour stages and NOTHING else of substance, whereas Degenkolb won a handful of stages in a Vuelta completely devoid of top-level sprinters. No other important wins, or high profile podiums in any classic, for that matter. He had some very good results, but no one cares about 4th places in big races, or podium places in small races.

TRENDING THREADS