• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Total Disillusionment

Who else is feeling it?

A wag here posted that we now have cycling at three speeds: Non-dopers, dopers, and Sky. Add in few riders to the Sky category, and it is an apt description.

It is obvious there are massive differences in doping programs to the point where you can only laugh at who is winning and how. The results are so bizarre that there is no sporting value. None of the competition looks fair, and a sport that is not fair is not really a sport.

This is worse than the early 90s when only part of the riders and teams had hopped on the EPO express. At least then the rest of the peloton had the opportunity to take the same train. Now with a bio-passport run by a manipulative UCI, no one can trust the results are not a product of the UCI's drive to expand into new countries and markets.

The fight against doping has given the UCI even more power and made the sport worse.

BroDeal said:
Who else is feeling it?

A wag here posted that we now have cycling at three speeds: Non-dopers, dopers, and Sky. Add in few riders to the Sky category, and it is an apt description.

It is obvious there are massive differences in doping programs to the point where you can only laugh at who is winning and how. The results are so bizarre that there is no sporting value. None of the competition looks fair, and a sport that is not fair is not really a sport.

This is worse than the early 90s when only part of the riders and teams had hopped on the EPO express. At least then the rest of the peloton had the opportunity to take the same train. Now with a bio-passport run by a manipulative UCI, no one can trust the results are not a product of the UCI's drive to expand into new countries and markets.

The fight against doping has given the UCI even more power and made the sport worse.

Don't look at it as a tragedy! It's a comedy.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I said it in a different thread already that this year I'd only watch the spring classics and then tune out til Lombardia. But now, I fear, Sagan might do a wheelie through Le Carrefour de l'Arbre.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about disillusioned, but I'm mystified. Why do you guys bother watching cycling? As far as I can see you're either hopelessly idealistic or masochistic. I'm not sure either is particularly healthy

May 14, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Who else is feeling it?

It is disillusioning, I agree, and right now the sport is distorted to the point where it is no longer a sport - agree with that, too. For the first time in years, I'm not watching.

It's not surprising that the UCI has used the fight against doping to take more power - and corrupt the sport further if that's even possible; after all, this is what they've been doing all along. What is surprising is that there has so far been no effective attack on, or even challenge to, the UCI.

I lay the blame for this directly at the feet of journalists. Cycling-specific "journalism" is basically just disguised marketing, so no surprise there; and pro cycling is, with the exception of Lance Armstrong, too small to bother with in the larger journalism world, so no surprise there, either.

Things may break open a bit if Armstrong is ever charged with anything.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I remember in the Armstrong days i thought at least there is a slight hope that Ullrich might do something, and also we didnt have to deal with Lance all year round either. But now it is like Brentford is just picking which rider gets to win each race. Its a complete farce.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Wallace and Gromit said:
I don't know about disillusioned, but I'm mystified. Why do you guys bother watching cycling? As far as I can see you're either hopelessly idealistic or masochistic. I'm not sure either is particularly healthy

I am neither idealistic or masochistic, I just think it's all a farce. Have done since Biajing Olympics when cycling turned another freaky corner back then.

frenchfry said:
After watching the final of the Criterium International and reading the other racing news I see where Bro Deal is coming from. Any illusion of a clean peloton has disappeared.

After today's results I am even more unsettled.
I wish someone, perhaps Dave Brailsford, would be able to make the unrest go away.....

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
There were three races on today. Wonderful day of racing. I'll take two out of three any day.

Yes, I'm very happy for De Gendt/Martin and Sagan. Glad to see the other are too.

Enjoy. :eek:

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Actually, I'm Rupert Murdoch.

That should be worth another couple of thousand posts here.

Have phun!
Murdog is as interesting as your 'columns' Will. Not for cyclingfans who give a damn.

Apologists are as bad as the cycling scene itself.

Did you like Lopez on Montjuich? Did you see his gearing? Andrei Kasheskin shrug his head. Or must I explain who he is to you?

Go play rugby.

I'm a little fascinated by all this. I have absolutely no idea how doped things are. However a few observations:

Are tjv, talansky, peraud and thibaud all blood doping?

Tjv and talansky are both previous podium finishers at the tour de l'avenir (if I remember correctly) so there progression seems pretty normal. Particularly since neither of them is powering away for a succession of 600 watt attacks as Contador and Rasmussen did in 2007.

I find it interesting that we are seeing the same riders over and over at the front of the stage races since the beginning of the season. I find this refreshing. Reminds of racing pre1990s. Wiggins is even thinking of tackling all three gts. When exactly is he going to store away all the needed bags of blood?

However I can't help but have my doubts about contra dope getting the "flu" from a race he finished a week before. He is definitely not what he was but I do fear he is off having a pint extracted as I write.

Also, I do not share everyone's suspicion of jv. For him to be the head of a huge team doping scheme would require a sociopathy on his part that would need to be even greater than armstrong's. I do not believe that to be true. It would also require a conspiracy from all his team members that would transcend uspostal's.

I cannot speak for sky. However their classics team has been anything but dominant.

Do I think that there is no doping. Absolutely not.

My greatest concern, is the report that there is not enough occ testing. Refreshing that the riders are complaining about it. But I am concerned that if the policing is not strong enough another arms race will ensue because riders will stop trusting the very fragile security of the bp.

I'm with you Bro, been feeling it for awhile. Prior to "seeing the truth," the excitement of the professional races helped keep me motivated to conduct my own training. Even for awhile afterwards I was able to suspend my disbelief and enjoy. Now there really is no value in it.

Wallace and Gromit said:

How about "hopeful?" There's still a tiny shred of hope, yes even from JV, that we may get a product that is real sometime in the future, but then it always seems to fail to launch.

TRENDING THREADS