• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2013

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think the mountain stages and Time Trials are excellent, with a good mix to suit all racing types.

And there is always going to be a lot of pure sprinter stages. I let them have Stage 1, Stage 6 Montpellier, Stage 10 Saint Malo, Stage 12 Tours, Stage 13 Saint-Amand and Stage 21 Paris. That is six sprinter stages, which should be plenty.

The problem I have is with the other stages. The stage to Gap is excellent. But the stage to Lyon should be harder. The stage to Albi could be harder. The stage to Marseille should be finishing on an uphill, with more difficulties before. And stages 2 and 3 in Corsica should be much, much better. I think it is such a crying shame.

Assuming Froome doesn't continue his meteoric rise, the GC stages are set up beautifully for a good GC battle.

But there are 21 racing days. And the likelihood is that over half of them are going to be boring. Say what you like about the 2010 route, but there was proper racing on over half of the days.

Think that's a very fair analysis.

The 2010 route was very good! Apart from the silly Pau stage and the Alps maybe being one HC short. Can't say that 2013 is better than 2010, but probably the second best since 2007. Plenty of room for improvement but by Tour standards not a bad job.

Almost had the same number of non-GC stages. Hautacam and Alpe d'Huez solid MTFs. Prato Nevoso pretty weak, Bonette stage good on paper but not the best for modern racing.

Bonascre > Super Besse
Peyresourde-Azet-Ancizan > Peyresourde-Aspin
Ventoux = Hautacam (although tbh the longer stage balances out Tourmalet and Ventoux >>> Hautacam)
Semnoz > Prato Nevoso
Alpe d'Huez < Alpe d'Huez
LGB = Jausiers

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Which one was the worst the last 10 years? Tour 2009 or 2012 route?

Tour 2010 also had the cobbles :cool::cool:

I want that back, that was awesome. Bad luck and it can ruin your GC though.

The best moment of the tour 2010 was when Contador passed LA on the cobbles. Ok he had a flat tire, but the moment was still awesome :D

Guess Preudhomme should've been fired as grand tour directeur, not Zomegnan.

Nearly all of the 2nd week stages are flat ones. I mean if a route is not balanced at all, because of to many mountains it's still easy to deal with it. At least that provides action. But so many flat stages are just boring.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
staubsauger said:
Guess Preudhomme should've been fired as grand tour directeur, not Zomegnan.

Nearly all of the 2nd week stages are flat ones. I mean if a route is not balanced at all, because of to many mountains it's still easy to deal with it. At least that provides action. But so many flat stages are just boring.
Yeah,there should be more opportunities for punchers and stage hunters!And with so many sprint stages there is a big risk of injuries:(

Miburo said:
Which one was the worst the last 10 years? Tour 2009 or 2012 route?
Both were annoying routes but 2012 was worse because it had just two high mountain MTFs, one lees than in 2009; LGB 2012 was much better than Luchon 2009; Bourg Saint Maurice was better than Grand Colombier or Foix crap. OK, TDF had 2012 La Planche but 6km climb cannot compensate lack of high mountain stages.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
staubsauger said:
+ it's the 100th edition
+ They Frenchies have a new gt hero who's a pure climber

What the hell is Preudhomme doing!?

That 'GT hero'(I assume it's Pinot) has only ridden one Tour, so to build a course around him is a bit ridiculous. It is however perfect for a rivalry between Froome and Contador.

The many unfinished mountain stage serve entirely to increase the chance of French stage victories. (which is pretty logical when you have Pinot, Voeckler, Rolland, Fedrigo and Chavanel)

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
staubsauger said:
+ it's the 100th edition
+ They Frenchies have a new gt hero who's a pure climber

What the hell is Preudhomme doing!?

He is way way to conservative. Would like more hilly stages in fx Massif Central. Those often provide a lot of unexpected drama

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
barmaher said:
I should have said that the ITT in Mont Saint Michel ought to be 10km shorter .
Fixed that for ya (too much of adv for Froome:D)
McLovin said:
MP's Tours:
07>13>08>11>10>09>12

I liked the 09 Alps a lot, maybe his best since is director, but the Pyrenees was inexistent.

I like this,precisely in this order!:)