• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2013

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
Opinions doesn't have to base on previous experience otherwise nothing can happen for the first time/

It's only a couple of days since you said Wiggins would win stage 3 of catalunya. In doing so he had to beat inter alia Quintana, Valverde and J Rod.

You say one day that Wiggins can beat the best climbers in the world, and a few days later maintain that there is a world of difference in climbing ability between Wiggins and Froome. Which is it?

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Contadoraus Schlecks said:
It's only a couple of days since you said Wiggins would win stage 3 of catalunya. In doing so he had to beat inter alia Quintana, Valverde and J Rod.

You say one day that Wiggins can beat the best climbers in the world, and a few days later maintain that there is a world of difference in climbing ability between Wiggins and Froome. Which is it?

If Wiggins could beat the best climbers then he would be effectively unbeatable in GTs because he can clearly beat everyone in time trials. If you think of the riders who have been the best in both time trials and climbs, most if not all of them are being discussed on a different forum from this one. ;) In reality he isn't quite as good as the best climbers, although he doesn't get anywhere near enough credit on here for his climbing abilities.

Yep saw him do that briefly on Wednesday after Jrod/Quintana/VV countered his "attack". But yes, in essence he TTs uphill like Hinault used to do and as a result almost always lost time to the climbers...except when they had been destroyed by pace/tactics. Honestly I would have been a bit worried if Wiggins had been able to ride everyone off his wheel in Spain this week. On the other hand it seems he's back/close to his CD2011/2012 climbing level which is what he needs to win a GT with normal ITT distances.

webvan said:
Yep saw him do that briefly on Wednesday after Jrod/Quintana/VV countered his "attack". But yes, in essence he TTs uphill like Hinault used to do and as a result almost always lost time to the climbers...except when they had been destroyed by pace/tactics. Honestly I would have been a bit worried if Wiggins had been able to ride everyone off his wheel in Spain this week. On the other hand it seems he's back/close to his CD2011/2012 climbing level which is what he needs to win a GT with normal ITT distances.

Hinault TTd uphill like Wiggins ? They have nothing in common style wise. Hinault always attacked in the mountains. He could also TT with the best and sometimes even sprint well. His whole outlook was to attack. How is this even close to being like Wiggins ? He also won many classics by attacking on hills. Look what he did on the 1980 Worlds course on a hilly circuit at Sallanches. I don't think will will see Wiggins breaking away on the Tourmalet or the Stelvio on his own. Hinault did not always lose time to climbers, he often gained time except for a handful of Colombian mountain goats or riders like Peter Winnen, Robert Millar or Bernadeau who he could afford to let go because of their TT results. Hinault was a complete rider like Merckx. All the same Wiggins is looking good for the Giro.

Well not n 1983 as he had to have his knees operated on (damaged by too much cortisone) but yes, it was a better world without O2 doping...

As for Hinault's style in the mountains it was certainly not all out attacking (except in 1984 when he was desperate to shake off a stronger Fignon off bis wheel and I guess 1986 when he was in kamikaze mode, torn as he was with his promise to Lemond), he rode tempo ("au train") and when he was in good shape few could keep up (Pas de Morgins 1985).

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
I think Steephill have the stage profiles on their TDF section now.
Nope. Only for the Corsica stages and the mountain stages.
You can find them on the official website... There's also two stages that have official profiles (but they are quite small):
1369604221-montpellier.png

1369604221-vaison.png

Those 4 climbs are all 2C. By the way we don't know the official classification of the 28 climbs that are 2C, 1C and HC (we're just sure they are going to be 2C or more), and we definitely don't know the ones which are 4C and 3C.

Below is not an official classification, but a personal classification based on:
- Previous classifications of these climbs in the Tour
- Declarations of officials (like Semnoz)
- Length and steepness of the climb.

HC (6 climbs)
Port de Pailhères - 15,3 km @ 8 %
Mont Ventoux - 20,8 km @ 7,5 % (MTF)
Alpe d'Huez 1 - 12,3 km @ 8,4 % (they don't really do the 21 hairpins on the first climb)
Alpe d'Huez 2 - 13,8 km @ 8,1 %
Col de la Madeleine - 19,2 km @ 7,9 %
Annecy Semnoz - 10,7 km @ 8,5 % (MTF - second appearance, but the first one unfortunately appeared during the riders' strike in 1998, in the Albertville - Aix-les-Bains stage. The climb was taken from the Annecy side, in 2013 it's taken from the Quintal side)

1C (9 climbs)
Ax-3-Domaines (1360m) - 7,8 km @ 8,2 % (MTF)
Col de Menté - 7 km @ 8,1 %
Col de Peyresourde - 13,1 km @ 7,1 %
Col de Val Louron-Azet - 7,4 km @ 8,3 %
Hourquette d'Ancizan - 9,9 km @ 7,5 %
Col du Glandon - 21,6 km @ 5,1 % (HC for the other side, but always been 1C on this side)
Col de la Croix-Fry - 11,3 km @ 7 %
Mont Revard - 15,9 km @ 5,6 %

2C (13 climbs)
Col de la Serra - 5,2 km @ 6,9 % (first appearance)
Col de Vizzavona - 4,6 km @ 6,5 % (first appearance)
Col de San Martino - 7,5 km @ 5,4 % (first appearance)
Col de Marsolino - 3,3 km @ 8,1 % (first appearance)
Col des 13 Vents - 8 km @ 5 %
Col de la Croix de Mounis - 7 km @ 6,5 %
Col de Portet d'Aspet - 5,8 km @ 6,8 %
Col de Macuègne - 9,4 km @ 4,9 %
Col de Manse - 9,5 km @ 5,2 % (Vaison-la-Romaine - Gap stage)
Col de Manse - 6,6 km @ 6,2 % (Gap - Alpe d'Huez stage)
Col d'Ornon - 5,1 km @ 6,7 %
Col de Sarenne - 3 km @ 7,8 % (first appearance)
Col de Tamié - 8,6 km @ 6,2 %
Col de l'Épine - 6,1 km @ 7,6 %

Interesting facts:
- The last 50 miles of the Gap stage are the exact same from the Gap stage in 2011.
- Annecy Semnoz is HC from Quintal side, but in 1998, the Annecy side (17 km @ 7 %) was 1C. But probably because it wasn't MTF. I put it on HC because officials told it was going to be HC.
- Port de Pailhères is the "Cima Coppi" of the race with 2001m. Really.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Vive Le Tour 2013
Cant wait for the showdown Contador v Froome, Froome will blow Contador imo but we will see i think the rest will have done Alberto good. I think he has to be smart though no attacking just keep in the train with Froome and when Froome goes you do the same, and try and beat Froome in the ITT's. Of course if Froome does look in difficulty attack but dont attack like crazy because Froome will pick you off. Im also unhappy that Purito is doing the TDF i no one of the ITT suits him but why do the TDF, i no he must think its his 1 big chance and last chance(34 soon) but i think he should do the Vuelta worlds. Does anyone agree it will be a crying shame if he does not win a GT?, he so deserves 1 imho.Their is so many question marks though and different plots this year, will Wiggo be infront before the first MTF due to the ITT?, can Purito get a podium and challenge the 2 favs?, or can Andy be back to his old level? if he does then he will be on the podium. The sprint stages will be shared out i think Cav, Greipel will take 3 probably as Cav has the Giro like last year. Kittel will get his first TDF stage and Sagan will get a few stages and green jersey.

My top 10
Froome
Contador +1:30s
Purito
Schleck
Wiggins(TDF climbs suit him more than any other country better gradients)
J.VdB
Valverde
Pinot(this guy was amazing youngest top 10 last year, only way is up:D)
Hesjedal?
Rolland

I cant see Evans being a factor really after a great Giro his recovery was getting worse too, although i dint think he'd get a podium in Giro so who no's. I dint put Quintana in the list because i think he will dom for Valverde and keep some back for the Vuelta. Any one no if Basso or Gesink will do the TDF or not?, if it stays better temps Gesink will do well imo.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
IMO Pailheres and Bonascre is the best combo used by ASO in recent history. Maybe together with Romme - Colombiere but that wasn't a MTF. Maybe too much for Wiggins if raced at high speed.

TRENDING THREADS