• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2013

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
he won't do the tour, any1 suggest he will is just creating senseless speculation.

he already said last year his plan for this year.

TA - MSR- GdT- LBL -Giro - huge rest - vuelta - worlds - GdL

since the worlds are in italy he will have them as main priority over the vuelta so he will race the vuelta exactly like bettini used to do, bettini himself is helping him with that, which means try to win 1 or 2 stages and for some reason i don't know why deliberately bonking on another 1 or 2.

lol for some reason i thought this was the nibali thread. . . . silly me

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
he won't do the tour, any1 suggest he will is just creating senseless speculation.

he already said last year his plan for this year.

TA - MSR- GdT- LBL -Giro - huge rest - vuelta - worlds - GdL

since the worlds are in italy he will have them as main priority over the vuelta so he will race the vuelta exactly like bettini used to do, bettini himself is helping him with that, which means try to win 1 or 2 stages and for some reason i don't know why deliberately bonking on another 1 or 2.

lol for some reason i thought this was the nibali thread. . . . silly me

It´s well possible he HAS to do the Tour... Astana announced Fuglsang will be leader for the Tour, back in December, I think. That was dangerous then, and is now even more so, since Fuglsang dropped out of Paris-Nice, and you never can be sure with him.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
It´s well possible he HAS to do the Tour... Astana announced Fuglsang will be leader for the Tour, back in December, I think. That was dangerous then, and is now even more so, since Fuglsang dropped out of Paris-Nice, and you never can be sure with him.

Even if Fugslang doesn't end up doing the Tour due to injury they still have Guardini for the sprints.
Nibali will be tired from the Giro, so if Astana send him to the Tour after the Giro, because they don't have another guy that can challenge for GC in it, then they are complete morons, IMHO. :eek:

RHRH19861986 said:

Sending Nibbles to get what? A top 30 placement? And burning out your best rider by mid-july?

A suicide.

Afrank said:
Even if Fugslang doesn't end up doing the Tour due to injury they still have Guardini for the sprints.
Nibali will be tired from the Giro, so if Astana send him to the Tour after the Giro, because they don't have another guy that can challenge for GC in it, then they are complete morons, IMHO. :eek:

Isn't Fuglsang going to Catalunya and then perhaps Pais Vasco?

Still time to evaluate if Fuglsang can carry the can at TdF I think.

nibali signed with astana because they gave him full freedom to pick his schedule and for him the worlds in italy are a billion times more important then the tour.

if he wins the giro and becomes WC in the same year with the race being in italy he will become the god of italian cycling and i think that thought is very appealing to him

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
nibali signed with astana because they gave him full freedom to pick his schedule and for him the worlds in italy are a billion times more important then the tour.

if he wins the giro and becomes WC in the same year with the race being in italy he will become the god of italian cycling and i think that thought is very appealing to him

Don't start dreaming :D

If he destroys Wiggins in the giro he'll be the god of this forum :cool:

Parrulo said:

I think he has a very good chance. Though I don't discount Piti and Sagan. I believe one of them will win (depends ofc on whether Spain follow new MPCC guideline of no convicted dopers in national team for two years)

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I think he has a very good chance. Though I don't discount Piti and Sagan. I believe one of them will win (depends ofc on whether Spain follow new MPCC guideline of no convicted dopers in national team for two years)

Sagan winning the florence worlds? I don't think the route suits him too well. The likes of valverde and nibali are more suited to it. But we'll wait and see how he does this season. You can never count him out!

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Bumped.

This Tour is gonna be awesome... I can't remember the last time the outcome was so unpredictable (meaning that I don't buy the idea that Sky is gonna dominate it completely - not with the competition this year). 4 earlier Tour winners (last four tour winners - meaning that I count Schleck) and the new favorite Froome.... And then we have the Quintana and Pinot from the new generation and Purito and Piti from the old...

It's gonna be completely impossible for Birdsong to get a top10! Astana should go for stage wins instead.

I'm hoping for Contador and Froome to do a truly epic ride and Pinot or Quintana to take the final podium place. Contador to win. Battles between Froome and Contador is gonna be great for all races for maybe the next three years. Awesome... Or at least thats what I hope. Will be very dissapointed if it becomes a borefest like 2012 again

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
notrolfsorensen said:
Bumped.

This Tour is gonna be awesome... I can't remember the last time the outcome was so unpredictable (meaning that I don't buy the idea that Sky is gonna dominate it completely - not with the competition this year). 4 earlier Tour winners (last four tour winners - meaning that I count Schleck) and the new favorite Froome.... And then we have the Quintana and Pinot from the new generation and Purito and Piti from the old...

It's gonna be completely impossible for Birdsong to get a top10! Astana should go for stage wins instead.

I'm hoping for Contador and Froome to do a truly epic ride and Pinot or Quintana to take the final podium place. Contador to win. Battles between Froome and Contador is gonna be great for all races for maybe the next three years. Awesome... Or at least thats what I hope. Will be very dissapointed if it becomes a borefest like 2012 again

It won't be boring cause Contador is there.

But Sky will try and dominatie and most likely succeed. The only guy who can break it is Contador. No one else.

Purito? 1.5 km sprint? Don't wanna hate but that's his game, he's no threat for Sky.

Valverde? Doubt it besides not good enough in the ITT and his climbing is just not great enough.

Pinot? No ITT and too young to be able to follow Froome and Contador consistently if he can even do it once.

Evans? Nah...

Quintana rides the giro.

And that's pretty much it. It seems very likely that porte will ride the tour btw

Only 1 guy at this moment in the current field has what it takes to break Sky. That's gonna be the story of this tour.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Valverde said the other day he hoped that he and Quintana would form a duo to rival Wiggins and Froome in the Tour. So he may have more freedom than we thought.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
Valverde said the other day he hoped that he and Quintana would form a duo to rival Wiggins and Froome in the Tour. So he may have more freedom than we thought.

But Froome didn't have any freedom last year.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:

Thats true,I hope Quintana will win at least one M.stage.If Valverde will be rubish,Quintana should be in top 10 for sure;)

TRENDING THREADS