• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2015 Stage 14: Rodez-Mende 178.5km

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Arnout said:
Orbit501 said:
Pierrot le Fou said:
Arnout said:
Rolland Pierre
‏@PierroooRolland

défendre des places de 12ème à 10 jours de la fin... Des efforts pour être devant pour rien dernière montée toujours aussi difficile

Rolland criticizes IAM Cycling's tactic.

What's he saying?

That reminds me Rolland needs to do some more crazy attacks. His Giro last year was full of awesomeness, give me more.

He said in his interview after the stage that he'd tried to get away in the initial break but IAM made it clear that they wouldn't let him go, working hard to bring it back. Absolutely ridiculous when they also had someone in the break.

In races, teams have the right to target and also defend exactly what they chose, surely?

If IAM want to defend Frank's GC spot, most likely for the WT points, and not support their breakaway rider then they have every right to do that. Rolland may not like that, and we as fans may not like that as it seems "pathetic", but for a team like IAM you can sort of understand their position.

I'm reluctant to defend Rolland's comments in this, but then again I'm reluctant to criticise him either. I can see both sides of the coin here.

Rolland actually has the right to comment on this since he's been in similar and better positions in GC yet still did batshit crazy attacks left right and center. He's a rider that should be heard on this matter, if we want cycling to continue to be a sport where courage matters. Yes, every team is allowed to ride the way they want, but in the end cycling is entertainment and it's vital for the character of the sport that it's entertainment for more than the last 10 or 15 minutes. Rolland is one of the key figures still defending that kind of racing.

IAM shouldn't even care about WT points anyway since they are ProContinental and Frank will end outside of the top 20.[/quote]

IAM become WT this season.

Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador 17 minutes ago

Lo escucho y me da verguenza,como alguien se puede acercar al @letour para echar orina a un ciclista.Mi apoyo @chrisfroome !

online translation:

I hear it and I'm embarrassed, as someone can go to the @letour to throw urine to a cyclist. I @chrisfroome support!

Pierrot le Fou said:
Orbit501 said:
In races, teams have the right to target and also defend exactly what they chose, surely?

If IAM want to defend Frank's GC spot, most likely for the WT points, and not support their breakaway rider then they have every right to do that. Rolland may not like that, and we as fans may not like that as it seems "pathetic", but for a team like IAM you can sort of understand their position.

I'm reluctant to defend Rolland's comments in this, but then again I'm reluctant to criticise him either. I can see both sides of the coin here.

Of course they are entitled to do what they like. But he has a point that it makes for some pretty dull racing when you put all your effort into defending what is a really minor place, rather than actually going for a stage win.
He has a choice of going in the grupetto one day in order to capture stages.
I already said in the past and people don't believe me. For lesser riders an small GC position is huge. It could be a good beginning. It could mean a better contract. It could mean many things. People in this forum are engaged in stage wins more than GC position. It is their choice, but not everybody shares that view.

Gloin22 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Gloin22 said:
Tour de France : Tejay Van Garderen positive http://lequi.pe/1LiA1NC #TDF

Oh well..
FFS that almost gave me a heart attack!

It worked then :p

It was worse at the start..the headline for the article was 'Tejay positive' as well...i fell for it too xd but they fixed it now :eek:
Don't think they "fixed it". Think it was clickbait. BMC or somebody connected probably had a word and said "change that wording!" and so L'Équipe have done so. They probably knew they'd have to.

Alexandre B. said:
Arnout said:
Alexandre B. said:
Rolland Pierre
‏@PierroooRolland

défendre des places de 12ème à 10 jours de la fin... Des efforts pour être devant pour rien dernière montée toujours aussi difficile

Rolland criticizes IAM Cycling's tactic.

What's he saying?

That reminds me Rolland needs to do some more crazy attacks. His Giro last year was full of awesomeness, give me more.

Defending 12th place ten days before Paris...
Pity they lost it to the Bardet instead.

Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
After the pathetic performance by Contador, Quintana and Nibali today, perhaps ASO should invite this man back in the race:

050-_JKN9991.jpg

You are truly overhyping Leon van Bon now. He wasn't that special, good, but not that special....

GJB123 said:
jmdirt said:
GJB123 said:
Is there actually anything to corroborate Froome's calm of being doused in urine other than just his say-so. He can say as much as he likes but I haven't heard anybody coming out that they witnessed it. LRP being spat at and Sky being boo'ed that is confirmed by at one or more other sources. Me thinks Froome plays the victim a bit too much.

And as for join's riling up negative sentiments. In the LA-days they all kept their mouths shut tight bar a few. I think journals need to share their doubts even if they don't have proof as such. The same was said of Walsh and Ballestre but a decade on they ware all of a sudden lauded for not paying along. Journo's shouldn't be playing along, they should remain critica and vocal and in no way are they responsible for the acts of some lunatics.

The French media started questioning LA's 'form' in 2000.

Fact is that most journo's shied away from saying what most people knew to be the truth. Journo's that truly spoke out against LA where ostracized. Is that really what we would currently prefer?

Hmm maybe they did it right back then. If this is the result of journos speak out they think, instead of what they KNOW.
I guess they need to find facts instead. I hate it as well, because we all have our doubts, but if this is the result then it's not good. So far Froome isn't caught and what if Sky actually all are clean and they get all of this crap then that's wrong on so many levels.

(not saying they are using, but this is just to point something out)

Great win by Cummings. Funny shot of Cummings victory salute and the French arguing in the background. Valverde still hanging around a podium place. The battle for third place will be a good one. Contador does not seem to be getting better no matter what he says. Quintana is improving as the race goes on. The Alps should be interesting.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site

Kwibus said:
Hmm maybe they did it right back then. If this is the result of journos speak out they think, instead of what they KNOW.
I guess they need to find facts instead. I hate it as well, because we all have our doubts, but if this is the result then it's not good. So far Froome isn't caught and what if Sky actually all are clean and they get all of this crap then that's wrong on so many levels.

(not saying they are using, but this is just to point something out)

Lots of the journalists are sticking to the facts tho. There are a few exceptions, but most of them are only pointing out the obvious. Which is that it looks a lot like the US Postal times. Which it does.

There is a long list of misbehavior by the public. I highly doubt someone decided to throw urine at Froome because he read in a newspaper that Froome might be doping. Compared to what happened to other riders in the past, Froome got of easy.

In a slightly related issue I do wonder why they didn't put barriers along the whole climb to Mende. Why can they do barriers for the complete 13km in Utrecht on both sides of the road, but not for the 3km to Mende?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Its never too late...so congratulation to Cummings for such an amazing vicotry, one of the best moments of this Tour!
Mende always delivers, nice attacks by Nairo and also Chapeau to Nibali for trying, thats the racer I liked in the past, the one who never gives up and tries again, not dropping deliberately.

Very enjoyable stage!

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS