• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2015 stage 20: Modane - Alpe d'Huez

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the stage tomorrow?

• Bauke Mollema

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • One of the 3 musketeers (Pinot, Bardet, Rolland)

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Vino

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Joaquim Rodriguez

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Alberto Contador

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Nairo Quintana

Votes: 82 56.2%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 25 17.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

Climbing said:
willbick said:
For those getting carried away with Quintana's superiority over Froome at the finish today, remember that Froome had to chase back on when he had a mechanical. It might not seem like anything but every little effort over threshold counts

Sounds convenient, it looks more likely he's suffering a bit in the last two days, while Quintana is quite strong in the 3th week as usual.
And what that a mechanical anyway? Or Andy gear shifting technique? :D

Yawn. Yes of course Froome is the worst bike handler in the peloton and cant even change gear without dropping his chain ffs. He had a stone stuck in his brakes. Not that u guys care about facts

Here a fact, Nibali did 60km almost alone and won an epic stage, showing great balls (as usual).
Here's another fact, Froome has been the strongest rider this tour and have just to defend a solid margin tomorrow.

And a speculation, feels like Moviestar could have tried harder, but in the end I marry the philosophy that who wears the Yellow in Paris has been the strongest, the rest is just thin air.

Edit: Well another fact! Valverde is the most hated rider ever! :D

willbick said:
sir fly said:
willbick said:
For those getting carried away with Quintana's superiority over Froome at the finish today, remember that Froome had to chase back on when he had a mechanical. It might not seem like anything but every little effort over threshold counts
viewtopic.php?p=1779844#p1779844

;) ...........
I wish Quintana kept it on his mind.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
I really think tomorrows stage has the potential to become a tale told over decades.
A battle of epic proportions - just like the Mortirolo stage! Fireworks I tell ya.

Froome won't let this one get away. Short stage with an easy start. Then the less steep side of the Croix-de-Fer. I expect at least 3 teammates by Bourg d'Oisans and then Froome goes in the final third of Huez. Nobody's taking this one from the Alien tomorrow.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Sky will try to control the peloton to the bottom of the Alp. Long-shots for overall/podium will launch attacks up the Croix-de-Fer. Qunitana will go full gas from the beginning of the Alp. If Porte and Thomas are knackered, Froome could lose the Tour tomorrow. Most likely, a smal breakaway goes over the Croix de Fer, but Sky keeps the peloton together within 1:30 to the bottom of Alp, where Quintana attacks and barely wins the stage. Froome finishes 1:30 down, winning the Tour.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Quintana will not attack on Croix de Fer, he'll attack on Alpe D'Huez, that'll be too late for the overall but he'll win the stage. Froome will win the overall. Nibali will attack like a madman, on both Croix de Fer and Huez, but Valverde will hang on to third. Oh and Contador will try couple of times but with not much success

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
In 2008 Sastre attacked 13.3km from the top. Quintana needs to do the same tomorrow. However, Sastre had the advantage that he was not deemed the big threat to the yellow at the time.

The point is an attack can be made so far from the finish and succeed.

That day he took 2'13" from the yellow jersey on the Alpe.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Froome has it in the bag probably, but as others mentioned as well, the coherency of his team will probably tell the tale. Hopefully Nairo can make it close at least! Should be a fun stage in any event.

Re:

Fight.The.Power said:
In 2008 Sastre attacked 13.3km from the top. Quintana needs to do the same tomorrow. However, Sastre had the advantage that he was not deemed the big threat to the yellow at the time.

Yeah he took the yellow off Frank Schleck his teammate :). It's a race not a tea party!

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Carols said:
Fight.The.Power said:

Yeah he took the yellow off Frank Schleck his teammate :). It's a race not a tea party!

OK well he took 2'15" off Cadel who everyone thought would win because of time trial to come. Same thing really :p

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re:

fungusbear said:
If Nairo gains 2 mins 39 on Froome and Nibali beats Valverde by enough to gain 3rd then my podium predictions before the tour will be correct :D

Yes, and if I had bought Microsoft shares in the 80s, I would be super rich now. So?