• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2017 Stage 14 : Blagnac > Rodez 181.5 km

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
silvergrenade said:
Got it..
This is from Valgren. He rides with Aru on Astana:

[Asked what happened with Aru]
I don’t know. Ask him. I tried to take him to the front, but he didn’t stick on my wheel. Did we lose the jersey?
[After being told Froome has the jersey after the stage]
Good.
I knew the run in from two years ago, so I knew it was a hard one. It was hectic with the big downhill, and everybody coming from the side. It was kind of a lottery to be in the front. Sometimes you’re there and sometimes you get snapped by the bunch.
I don’t know what happened to Fabio to be honest. We were three guys there I the end, so it was hard to keep in the front."

3 Guys....He wasnt isolated.

Sounds like he is just being honest.

You had to see it. Not at all like a 'teammate'. I was aghast by his attitude! Let's put it this way; when I was working I had 82 software engineers reporting to me. If anyone displayed his attitude he'd have been down in HR pronto.

Keram said:
Alexandre B. said:
Lupi33x said:
Alexandre B. said:
Lupi33x said:
Lets not forget Sagan would've won this stage easily had he not been unjustly DQ'd

for the wheel sucker to over celebrate like that is kind of crass
Why? Sagan is not in the race since 10 days, and didn't win against GVA in 2015.

you forgot stage 3 already? :lol:
Different kind of uphill sprints.

In which way? You need to be really good at short hills and be explosive at booth.
Rodez is punchier than Longwy.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
Got it..

I don’t know. Ask him. I tried to take him to the front, but he didn’t stick on my wheel. Did we lose the jersey?
Good.
I knew the run in from two years ago, so I knew it was a hard one. It was hectic with the big downhill, and everybody coming from the side. It was kind of a lottery to be in the front. Sometimes you’re there and sometimes you get snapped by the bunch.
I don’t know what happened to Fabio to be honest. We were three guys there I the end, so it was hard to keep in the front."

3 guys there in the end???
30AruFabioAstana Pro Team 0:25
62ZeitsAndreyAstana Pro Team 1:14
91ValgrenMichaelAstana Pro Team 2:18
109LutsenkoAlexeyAstana Pro Team 6:28
150GrivkoAndreiAstana Pro Team 13:17
160KozhatayevBakhtiyarAstana Pro Team ,,
171GruzdevDmitriyAstana Pro Team ,,

Cookster15 said:
Okay, thanks, wheelsucking eh? Of course every racer knows you should always give away the possible win rather than wheel suck :rolleyes: . Its never the fault of the other riders who ride tactically poor is it? Ridiculous, makes me wonder if some here have ever raced a bike.

Gerrans win over Fabian at San Remo was well deserved as his sustained wattage on the Poggio proved, not his fault Cancellara underestimated Gerrans ability to hold that wattage for a few minutes and that he saves 30% in the slipstream.

I was once a strong rider who thought he could ride off the front of my club bunch but eventually worked out no matter how strong you are you need to ride smart, learn when to attack and save energy. Races are not always won by the strongest - that's what TTs are for. Today's Matthews was equally deserving glad you admit this.
For the nth time, nobody is stating that it's not a legitimate tactic or even that it isn't the most sensible tactic, but explaining why riders who use it as their primary or even only tactic are not liked.

As on the previous thread's discussion of Meintjes, riders aren't beholden to entertain because they're professionals and their job involves maximising results etc. - but fans watch the sport for entertainment so are well within their rights to dislike tactics, however legitimate, that detract from the entertainment value of the sport.

Personally, I dislike him because he calls himself Bling. That's obnoxious in and of itself.

Libertine Seguros said:
Cookster15 said:
Okay, thanks, wheelsucking eh? Of course every racer knows you should always give away the possible win rather than wheel suck :rolleyes: . Its never the fault of the other riders who ride tactically poor is it? Ridiculous, makes me wonder if some here have ever raced a bike.

Gerrans win over Fabian at San Remo was well deserved as his sustained wattage on the Poggio proved, not his fault Cancellara underestimated Gerrans ability to hold that wattage for a few minutes and that he saves 30% in the slipstream.

I was once a strong rider who thought he could ride off the front of my club bunch but eventually worked out no matter how strong you are you need to ride smart, learn when to attack and save energy. Races are not always won by the strongest - that's what TTs are for. Today's Matthews was equally deserving glad you admit this.
For the nth time, nobody is stating that it's not a legitimate tactic or even that it isn't the most sensible tactic, but explaining why riders who use it as their primary or even only tactic are not liked.

As on the previous thread's discussion of Meintjes, riders aren't beholden to entertain because they're professionals and their job involves maximising results etc. - but fans watch the sport for entertainment so are well within their rights to dislike tactics, however legitimate, that detract from the entertainment value of the sport.

Personally, I dislike him because he calls himself Bling. That's obnoxious in and of itself.

Okay thanks, understood and that's fair enough everyone is entitled to their personal opinions. However, an assumption that not everyone spends as much time on here as others would be appreciated.

Pretty daft to call that a wheelsucking win.

It was a classic puncheur finish with three of the best duking it out - would have been nice to see Kwiatkowski been given the freedom + Sagan be there, but c'mon, Matthews beat GVA + Gilbert who all in turn split a Tour de France peloton. It was a demonstration of class and power.

Had every right to celebrate that as he saw fit, especially given the pressure he was under.

Hating him for his name is also daft - it's actually a self-effacing gesture not a self-aggrandising one. But I can't be bothered explaining that, haters are gonna hate....

spalco said:
Lupi33x said:
Just watched that last km again.
That was really misplaced arrogance to wheel suck then celebrate like that blocking Van Avermaet's line.
Who is this guy and what has he done compared to GVA?

I agree, I was really hoping for Avermaet to snatch this victory away from him. That celebration was the peak of arrogance.

You do yourself no favors with this silly post. Matthews has ridden well right throughout the TDF and was by far the strongest on the day. You are bereft of ideas if you use the term wheelsucker. I cant remember GVA having his nose in the wind.

Libertine Seguros said:
Cookster15 said:

What a shallow post. The name Bling was started by the under 23 Australian team 6 or 7 years ago. Maybe feel angry at his team-mates who gave him this name or even the media which perpuates the nickname. It has nothing to do with Matthews.

Do you think Merckx gave himself the nickname The Cannibal.

yaco said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Cookster15 said:

What a shallow post. The name Bling was started by the under 23 Australian team 6 or 7 years ago. Maybe feel angry at his team-mates who gave him this name or even the media which perpuates the nickname. It has nothing to do with Matthews.

Do you think Merckx gave himself the nickname The Cannibal.

Matthews and his team rode the perfect race. If Sagan had won like that most people would be celebrating. There is more celebrating when Matthews loses it seems. Fans say they don't like him but the reality is they don't know him except for a one minute interview after a stage. Whatever personality quirks some riders have it doesn't effect their ability on the bike but for some fans it certainly does.

For the record, the word bling = "gaudy, excessive, tasteless use of jewelry".

It's not a compliment! If you see someone on the street one night, all dressed up and trying to look classy - and you say 'bling' - it really means 'that person is totally not pulling off looking classy.'

If someone is happy to take that as a nickname, it kind of implies that they're happy for their mates to take the mickey out of them.

Armchair cyclist said:
silvergrenade said:
Got it..

Good.

3 guys there in the end???
30AruFabioAstana Pro Team 0:25
62ZeitsAndreyAstana Pro Team 1:14
91ValgrenMichaelAstana Pro Team 2:18
109LutsenkoAlexeyAstana Pro Team 6:28
150GrivkoAndreiAstana Pro Team 13:17
160KozhatayevBakhtiyarAstana Pro Team ,,
171GruzdevDmitriyAstana Pro Team ,,
What does that tell you?
Kwiato came 2 minutes down after being with Froome until the final 100-200 meters...
Aru had 3 guys with him..Probably Zeits, Valgren and Lutsenko

Re:

The Hegelian said:
For the record, the word bling = "gaudy, excessive, tasteless use of jewelry".

It's not a compliment! If you see someone on the street one night, all dressed up and trying to look classy - and you say 'bling' - it really means 'that person is totally not pulling off looking classy.'

If someone is happy to take that as a nickname, it kind of implies that they're happy for their mates to take the mickey out of them.

Correct. It would probably only be considered a compliment if you were a so-called Gangsta rapper.

By the way, has a certain New Yorker changed his name to Bling Daddy/Diddy yet?

Yup, it's what Aussies do! Tall poppy syndrome, self-derogatory and all that!

Actually to be fair to him, I do believe that a lot of conservatism in the past is more due to Orica DSes yelling at him in the earpiece to wait wait wait wait.... Over time we will see if his style becomes less conservative.

There were three Astanas in the main group with 5km to go, one of them being Aru. Valgren tried to help but Aru couldn't hold his wheel. Bad legs? I doubt it. Aru has little classics experience and is not comfortable riding in the pack in such hectic finales. He's no Nibali.

I find it very telling that, among the GC riders, only the ones with a good track record in classics were in the top 10 today (froome being the exception, cause he's just that good).

Valhren was honest and I like it. That jersey was a burden for Aru and his team. Landa has suddenly become far less dangerous. Unless he's fading, the Tour is still winnable.

Re:

SafeBet said:
There were three Astanas in the main group with 5km to go, one of them being Aru. Valgren tried to help but Aru couldn't hold his wheel. Bad legs? I doubt it. Aru has little classics experience and is not comfortable riding in the pack in such hectic finales. He's no Nibali.

I find it very telling that, among the GC riders, only the ones with a good track record in classics were in the top 10 today (froome being the exception, cause he's just that good).

I agree with everything you wrote.
Froome has always liked hectic racing and these types of finishes. If I remember correctly, he finished 6th on this finish in 2015.
He really enjoys hectic finales and racing. Despite his unconventional and unaesthetic riding style, Froome is technically very good and has a sharp eye for tactical racing.

Re:

bob.a.feet said:
Matthews got a lot of sh*t for 'wheelsucking', but it was an uphill sprint and he sprinted - I see no problem. I think the hate is directed at the rider more than the ride.

These threads are very long, so I don't read them through, but if people complained about anything regarding Matthews yesterday, they don't understand the sport at all. Except if it were for his victory celebration, which I understand some people find arrogant (I don't, though).