• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2017 Stage 14 : Blagnac > Rodez 181.5 km

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Lupi33x said:
Just watched that last km again.
That was really misplaced arrogance to wheel suck then celebrate like that blocking Van Avermaet's line.
Who is this guy and what has he done compared to GVA?

I agree, I was really hoping for Avermaet to snatch this victory away from him. That celebration was the peak of arrogance.

Re: Re:

silvergrenade said:
Poursuivant said:
Chris Froome (SKY) was 6.6km/h faster than Fabio Aru (AST) in the final 500m, where he gained 25" and the #MaillotJauneLCL.
#TDFdata
Interesting piece of info this..
Was it just positioning error as Aru claim? Don't think so.
These stats say nothing and you're being quite blind to it.

Aru, coming from like, 50th position, had to swerve around slow riders. So the speed is no indication.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
silvergrenade said:
Poursuivant said:
Chris Froome (SKY) was 6.6km/h faster than Fabio Aru (AST) in the final 500m, where he gained 25" and the #MaillotJauneLCL.
#TDFdata
Interesting piece of info this..
Was it just positioning error as Aru claim? Don't think so.
These stats say nothing and you're being quite blind to it.

Aru, coming from like, 50th position, had to swerve around slow riders. So the speed is no indication.
Really?
Whats the logical explanation for not taking Valgrens wheel?
He thought he was on a Sunday ride? :lol:
He didnt have the legs.....
You may choose not to believe that..To each their own

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

nilfen said:
Astana is a most naive team, if they think they can challange for the win with the selection of riders they have. And Aru strikes me as rider with little race-intelligence (or is it just lack of experience?)

What riders usually fade in the third week; Froome? What riders retain their strength? Quintana?
Who should they have brought instead? :rolleyes:

spalco said:
Lupi33x said:
That was really misplaced arrogance to wheel suck then celebrate like that blocking Van Avermaet's line.

I agree, I was really hoping for Avermaet to snatch this victory away from him. That celebration was the peak of arrogance.

Pfff the guy was happy and started celebrating a bit too early, but blocking gva and arrogance... some people see evil in anything.

Kwibus said:
spalco said:
Lupi33x said:

Pfff the guy was happy and started celebrating a bit too early, but blocking gva and arrogance... some people see evil in anything.
And I'm practically sure they didn't see any problem with Sagan's celebrations in 2012.

nilfen said:
deValtos said:
nilfen said:
Astana is a most naive team, if they think they can challange for the win with the selection of riders they have. And Aru strikes me as rider with little race-intelligence (or is it just lack of experience?)

What riders usually fade in the third week; Froome? What riders retain their strength? Quintana?

When Cataldo and Fugl are out due to injuries it's hard to complain about the team selection. Not to mention Kanget usually does the double and would be here if he'd not been injured. There are only so many top climbers in the world.

But it is not the climbers they lack. It's the riders for the flat and the last 10-20 kms

They have brought decent riders for the flat by bringing zeits, valgren, grivko,lutsenko and to a certain extent gruzdev. They are decent tiders on the flat and hills, they are just not preforming at all.

Eagle said:
nilfen said:

Someones who perferm better ;-) I just find it odd, that a team who shows up with the strong riders like Aru and Fuglsang, can't find helpers for those two, when needed on the road.

Alexandre B. said:
Kwibus said:
spalco said:
Lupi33x said:

And I'm practically sure they didn't see any problem with Sagan's celebrations in 2012.

Concur. Personally I can take or leave riders victory celebrations but people are really getting carried away with their own personal dislikes here.

Matthews most certainly took a good look back (to see that GVA was clearly gapped and how he was going/not likely to come back) before he started his celebration. Had GVA been able to come back, Matthews would certainly have looked a right prat .... but he judged it accurately, GVA was spent.

nilfen said:
Eagle said:
nilfen said:

Someones who perferm better ;-) I just find it odd, that a team who shows up with the strong riders like Aru and Fuglsang, can't find helpers for those two, when needed on the road.
Kangert is still recovering from his horrible Giro crash, Lopez crashed in TdS and was already doubtful for the Tour. Cataldo crashed out. The team for the flat stages is actually good enough. Just Aru himself who failed to do his job today.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site

dirkprovin said:
Alexandre B. said:
Kwibus said:
spalco said:
Lupi33x said:

Concur. Personally I can take or leave riders victory celebrations but people are really getting carried away with their own personal dislikes here.

Matthews most certainly took a good look back (to see that GVA was clearly gapped and how he was going/not likely to come back) before he started his celebration. Had GVA been able to come back, Matthews would certainly have looked a right prat .... but he judged it accurately, GVA was spent.

I think to celebrate like that you have to do it more than once. eg win a few classics, maybe a gold medal or something like that.
To fluke a win and only because of who's missing then carry on like you're world champion is not cool.

Escarabajo said:
Lupi33x said:
????

What did he do wrong?
Great victory.
Ignore, just a frustrated Belgian. Even Van Avermaet said Matthews deserved the win and he was beaten fair and square.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

nilfen said:
Eagle said:
nilfen said:

Kangert and Miguel Lopez weren't an option because of crashes, Cataldo also crashed out of the Tour, Tiralongo finished the Giro with a few cracked ribs, Zeits also did the Giro, Lulu also rode the Giro, Bilbao did the Giro and TdS, Lutsenko is hurt because of a crash and according to Martinelli Kozhatayev has a stomache bug.
Add the fact that Moreno Moser just started racing again at the Österreich Rundfahrt because of heath problems (OTL on the MTF), Scarponi's tragic death and the fact that Chernetckii hasn't done anything all year long and you get the reason why.
The original plan was to have Aru at the Giro, they still had the rest of his team ride the Giro after his crash, and Fuglsang at the Tour with Lopez and Kangert (who has ridden the double a few times in recent years) as the strong climbers to support him, but tons of crashes happened and this is the result.

Mayomaniac said:
nilfen said:
Eagle said:
nilfen said:

Kangert and Miguel Lopez weren't an option because of crashes, Cataldo also crashed out of the Tour, Tiralongo finished the Giro with a few cracked ribs, Zeits also did the Giro, Lulu also rode the Giro, Bilbao did the Giro and TdS, Lutsenko is hurt because of a crash and according to Martinelli Kozhatayev has a stomache bug.
Add the fact that Moreno Moser just started racing again at the Österreich Rundfahrt because of heath problems (OTL on the MTF), Scarponi's tragic death and the fact that Chernetckii hasn't done anything all year long and you get the reason why.
The original plan was to have Aru at the Giro, they still had the rest of his team ride the Giro after his crash, and Fuglsang at the Tour with Lopez and Kangert (who has ridden the double a few times in recent years) as the strong climbers to support him, but tons of crashes happened and this is the result.
Gosh, wow. I didn't actually think about it, but that is really bad luck.