• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019 stage 14: Tarbes - Tourmalet 117 km

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Alaphilippe lose the maillot jaune tomorrow?

• Yes

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 64 77.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ala just in the form of his life and has been all year. Maybe he hasnt showed it in a GT before, but it is a first time for everything. He is still a young rider and still developing.

If he makes it to Paris is another question. Who knows? He could drop like a stone one of these days or he stays solid.

If Thomas could win last year, I would not be surprised to see Ala win this year.

Re: Re:

Salvarani said:
Jagartrott said:
I thought you could see quite early on Thomas wasn't 100%. I cannot believe they didn't exploit that further. I hope they will not come to regret that.

I think they saw that too. Everyone was on the limit though. Nobody had enough to go earlier. If Thomas went that deep today to just hang on. It will surely show tomorrow too.
I saw that as well. Maybe Pinot, who looked like he had more in reserves, should have exploited that a little more.

Thomas not in the same shape he was last year and there are huge climbs in the third week. This is a very open race. I'm not sold on Alaphilippe just yet. I think Jumbo and Groupama will test him fiercely tomorrow.

Kruijswijk has a very big chance in this Tour. Third week looks good for him and the team is strong. Would love this Tour to turn in a battle between him and Pinot.

This is going to be the best Tour since 2011. Completely open race since Alaphilippe hasn't proven himself over the course of three weeks before. Although he has tackled every other challenge against all odds so far...

Words cannot describe how much I loved seeing Ineos struggle to hang on today. The Tour needed that so much.

Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
Salvarani said:
Jagartrott said:
I thought you could see quite early on Thomas wasn't 100%. I cannot believe they didn't exploit that further. I hope they will not come to regret that.

I think they saw that too. Everyone was on the limit though. Nobody had enough to go earlier. If Thomas went that deep today to just hang on. It will surely show tomorrow too.
I saw that as well. Maybe Pinot, who looked like he had more in reserves, should have exploited that a little more.

Or maybe Pinot just couldnt go too early, because it would have only made him explode. He gained 40 seconds and its a hard day tomorrow.

Questions answered about Yates, Porte, Fuglsang, Martin, Uran, Thomas and Quintana some of whom had interrupted preparations. Good to see Aru on the comeback trail. Bardet probably won't make it to Paris. Great win for Pinot, and Alaphillipe is looking harder and harder to dislodge at this point.Buchmann and SK also solid.

Expected Pinot win is expected

Alaph... no words. If he keeps this up he wins TDF no prob.
Kruijswijk looking great for podium. Also seems to have the best support left in the final (and no double leader role).
Ineos look frail. Thomas is not 2018 form. Bernal is too young (he should've beaten Pinot if he wants leadership).

Re:

Saint Unix said:
This is going to be the best Tour since 2011. Completely open race since Alaphilippe hasn't proven himself over the course of three weeks before. Although he has tackled every other challenge against all odds so far...

Words cannot describe how much I loved seeing Ineos struggle to hang on today. The Tour needed that so much.
This.
Hopefully G loses more time tomorrow and Third Week Wout will be too late.

This was a truly great stage, and not only because Pinot won, but that we actually got action rather early with Movistar finally taking up the mantle, and later FDJ. I would have liked Jumbo taking the initiative a bit earlier than they did, since they had three riders deep into the finale. I noticed Thomas hanging on the back of the group and had a feeling that he might didn't feel too well today, but history in mind, I didn't dare to hope that it was more than Froome-style yo-yoing. The question is whether it was an off-day - if it isn't just an off-day, will Bernal step up?

Re:

Simurgh said:
This was a truly great stage, and not only because Pinot won, but that we actually got action rather early with Movistar finally taking up the mantle, and later FDJ. I would have liked Jumbo taking the initiative a bit earlier than they did, since they had three riders deep into the finale. I noticed Thomas hanging on the back of the group and had a feeling that he might didn't feel too well today, but history in mind, I didn't dare to hope that it was more than Froome-style yo-yoing. The question is whether it was an off-day - if it isn't just an off-day, will Bernal step up?
Let's hope that their indecision will lead to their downfall.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Expected Pinot win is expected

Alaph... no words. If he keeps this up he wins TDF no prob.
Kruijswijk looking great for podium. Also seems to have the best support left in the final (and no double leader role).
Ineos look frail. Thomas is not 2018 form. Bernal is too young (he should've beaten Pinot if he wants leadership).

It looks like Bernal hasn’t made that mental step of being leader. Like he’s waiting for permission....

TRENDING THREADS