• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019 stage 17: Pont du Gard > Gap 200 km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think there are many reasons the UCI theoretically would want a French winner but that doesn't necessarily mean that it would be under a French influence. Not that I think that occurred here at all.

Besides your first paragraph points exactly to what you mean in the second.

hrotha said:
wheresmybrakes said:
So using UCI regulations got those 2 got thrown out the race but MAL got away with more or less bludgeoning a fan at the side of the road in the GIRO. They're trying their best for a French winner in this race :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do know the juries are made up of different people (none of them French at the Tour), and that rules are open to personal interpretation? It's not at all remarkable that different juries have different criteria.

I guess it's easier and more convenient to blame some conspiracy theory or THE FRENCH rather than ask why Rowe and Martin did what they did.

Silly me not realising that one jury could quite happily allow a rider to punch a fan at the side of the road without repercussions and another jury to throw 2 riders out the race for playing handbags. Personal interpretation my ar$e!

wheresmybrakes said:
So using UCI regulations got those 2 got thrown out the race but MAL got away with more or less bludgeoning a fan at the side of the road in the GIRO. They're trying their best for a French winner in this race :lol: :lol: :lol:

While I think this was a bit harsh, I also think that riders should be allowed to bludgeon idiot fans as much as they like. :twisted:

Re:

Derry said:
Fair decision. Rowe first did a body check on Kruijswijk and then tried to hit Martin. Also Martin shouldn't try to push Rowe into the crowd and is it fair that he is disqualified.
Agreed. Correct decision. Very dangerous what Rowe is doing there and Tony shouldn't react the way he reacts.

wheresmybrakes said:
Silly me not realising that one jury could quite happily allow a rider to punch a fan at the side of the road without repercussions and another jury to throw 2 riders out the race for playing handbags. Personal interpretation my ar$e!
Surely then the problem is that MAL wasn't DQ'ed, not that Martin and Rowe were.

Regardless, while MAL wasn't kicked out of the race for that (I guess they wanted a French winner too), other people have been. Cherry-picking your precedent is not so great, especially if the precedent was not exactly the same thing.

Re:

Avoriaz said:
Loved Jalaphilippe's comment that they were fighting to get to the front because they were worried he would attack

I loved that he stepped in a calmed them down. I suspect he is right and that is why they where fighting.

Of course it was harsh but the world seen it and I can understand why is was done. For me it was just polton hardmen battling. Nothing outrageous

Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
Midnightfright said:
RedheadDane said:

You would think they had committed a severe crime with the sombre tone

I was mostly focused on the fact that they were making the statement together, and clearly not about to break into a serious fight.

Oh yeah there is absolutely no ill will. As I touched upon in a previous post this is very much part of both those guys roles in team.

Re:

Inquitus said:
Aye complete overreaction by the Comms, stupid OTT decision, clearly done with an eye on a potential French winner.
To those speculating that decision to eject Rowe and Martin was made to benefit Alaphilippe and/or Pinot: UCI race jury is a five-person panel made of commissaires from five different nations, led by an Italian. One French juror; others from Spain, Belgium, and Canada. #TDF2019
https://t.co/RAgvYouCKo

Mayo from Mayo said:
RedheadDane said:
Disingenuous statement. Of course it disadvantaged another rider, and not any other rider but the maillot jaune. Alaphillipe rightly judged that the shenannigans were caused by Ineos and Lotto Jumbo defending against him attacking. For the safety of the peleton he told them he would not attack.

I'm not sure how it disadvantaged Alaphillipe....

There isnt a hope in hell he was attacking there

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site

Midnightfright said:
RedheadDane said:
Midnightfright said:
RedheadDane said:

You would think they had committed a severe crime with the sombre tone

I was mostly focused on the fact that they were making the statement together, and clearly not about to break into a serious fight.

Oh yeah there is absolutely no ill will. As I touched upon in a previous post this is very much part of both those guys roles in team.

I mean, they're both hoping to persuade the jury to change its mind (unlikely) or minimize any other consequences, so of course they're going to make nice, regardless of how they really feel.

I still want to know why Luke moved across and put his shoulder into Steven K, which is what started the whole thing.

TRENDING THREADS