• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019 stage 17: Pont du Gard > Gap 200 km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

hrotha said:
Why not? Today's stage was the kind of hilly terrain he's supposed to excel at, he's a much better descender than basically all his rivals and he needs all the time he can get.

All the other contenders have numerous doms ready to pull him back. There are hard stages on the horizon that he must be worried/expect will break him

The vast majority of posters think this is a "ridiculous or harsh decision". Yet anyone who has watched bike racing over the years and particularly the TDF will know this is a consistent position. From Mark Renshaw to Gianni Moscon to Peter Sagan, if you start trying to knock opponents off their bikes or even off their line, you are out.

I do not understand why people are surprised by the decision. I do understand why people are unhappy with the expulsions as it affects the race. But the commissaires didn't have much choice.

Re:

wirral said:
The vast majority of posters think this is a "ridiculous or harsh decision". Yet anyone who has watched bike racing over the years and particularly the TDF will know this is a consistent position. From Mark Renshaw to Gianni Moscon to Peter Sagan, if you start trying to knock opponents off their bikes or even off their line, you are out.

I do not understand why people are surprised by the decision. I do understand why people are unhappy with the expulsions as it affects the race. But the commissaires didn't have much choice.

Well, Renshaw's happened in the middle of the sprint, where it could have had disastrous consequences.
Moscon literally took his hands off the handlebars to punch another rider.

Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
wirral said:

Well, Renshaw's happened in the middle of the sprint, where it could have had disastrous consequences.
Moscon literally took his hands off the handlebars to punch another rider.

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly enough. Every time there is a physical altercation between riders (and the cameras catch it) the riders are booted out. Every time that happens, posters decry the "harsh decision".

So my point is, are posters genuinely surprised by the decision? Or are they suggesting the rule, and its application, should be softened to allow a bit of shoving but not a full on scrap?

If the former, then they are stupid because the same thing happens over and over again with the same result and they are continually surprised and even shocked. There is no learning. If the latter, then they should aim to articulate how that would work in practice.

Okay, yes... maybe it was a bit more intentional than it appeared in the initial footage - and they both admitted to have been at fault - but this wasn't as severe as neither the Renshaw, nor the Moscon cases.
I'm not saying the shouldn't have been punished, but a fine - and maybe some docked points/time (not that any of them would care much…) - would have been sufficient.

34 Big Photos from Stage 17 (descriptions added) — aso/corvos/flockton/bettini
http://www.steephill.tv/2019/tour-de-france/photos/stage-17/

105-20190724TDF2015-A.S.O.%20Thomas%20MAHEUX.jpg

270-CORVOS_00031294-044.jpg

TRENDING THREADS