• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019 stage 4: Reims > Nancy 213,5 km

Tomorrow is another day for the competitors for the green jersey, a flat day from Reims to Nancy:

b5bba

Last kilometer

89d66

Last time the Tour visited in Nancy was in 2014, where Trentin just about managed to win in front of Sagan:

10476598_688456227886180_7242101788371914992_o.jpg

Other visits that caught my eye were 1978 (a time trial on stage 20, which Bernard Hinault won), 1973 where Joop Zoetemelk won and Fausto Coppi has won two stages in Nancy in 1949 and 1952 both years in which he won il Giro d'Italia and le Tour, here pictured with his rival Gino Bartali...

2c60197a41d572d655d0ef7ac9468852.jpg

General classification before tomorrow:

1. Julian ALAPHILIPPE
2. Wout VAN AERT + 20''
3. Steven KRUIJSWIJK + 25''
4. George BENNETT + 25''
5. Michael MATTHEWS + 40''
6. Egan BERNAL + 40''
7. Geraint THOMAS + 45''
8. Enric MAS + 46''
9. Greg VAN AVERMAET + 51''
10. Wilco KELDERMAN + 51''

Polka-dot jersey competition before tomorrow:

1. Tim WELLENS 7
2. Xandro MEURISSE 3
3. Greg VAN AVERMAET 2
4. Julian ALAPHILIPPE 2
5. Nairo QUINTANA 1

Green jersey competition before tomorrow:

1. Peter SAGAN 76
2. Michal MATTHEWS 59
3. Sonny COLBRELLI 54
4. Mike TEUNISSEN 50
5. Greg VAN AVERMAET 40

Weather at the finish line

GCIqwjF.png

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
Viviani - Groenewegen - or Sagan? I have all three need to pick a road captain. Currently leaning towards Viviani worried about the Cat 4 dropping Groenewegen. I should probably just make Sagan captain as he is almost guaranteed to be in the top 5 but everyone has him on their team.

Re:

mode747 said:
Viviani - Groenewegen - or Sagan? I have all three need to pick a road captain. Currently leaning towards Viviani worried about the Cat 4 dropping Groenewegen. I should probably just make Sagan captain as he is almost guaranteed to be in the top 5 but everyone has him on their team.

I have Viviani and Sagan as well. I'm leaning towards Vivani for road captain tomorrow as well. Although you do have a point about just give it Sagan and figure he'll at least be close. Screwed up today and should have made Sagan my road captain.

A non-injured Groenewegen would not get dropped here. Now he's injured that's a different story.

Also get the feeling people forgot he won Champs Elysees when he completed a Tour, surviving easily in the mt stages.
People's view of him have been skewed because he was injured last year in the mountains..
Now it's the same story because of the fall on day 1.

Re: Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Jagartrott said:
It's a 3 km climb, that's enough to shed some heavy-weights. Teams like Bora and Sunweb would be stupid not to race this 100%. And if the pace is too slow, perhaps some punchers will try their luck, inspired by Alaphilippe.
Yep, every single pure sprinter was dropped here back in 2014.
In 2014 they had another, harder climb after it which was also closer to the finish.

F_Cance said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Jagartrott said:
It's a 3 km climb, that's enough to shed some heavy-weights. Teams like Bora and Sunweb would be stupid not to race this 100%. And if the pace is too slow, perhaps some punchers will try their luck, inspired by Alaphilippe.
2014 had one climb more though
Forgot all about that.

The last climb may indeed not be a problem then if it's never much above 5%. Does anyone have a detailed profile of the last hill?

Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
F_Cance said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Jagartrott said:
2014 had one climb more though
Forgot all about that.

The last climb may indeed not be a problem then if it's never much above 5%. Does anyone have a detailed profile of the last hill?
Yes, and it's even less difficult than imagined I guess. Every sprinter has the ability to survive those 2,5km 'steeper' section.
https://www.climbbybike.com/profile/Côte_de_maron_profile.jpg

TRENDING THREADS