• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019 stage 5 St D -Vosges - Colmar 175.5km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Flamin said:
Love these kind of stages from a betting perspective.

The fight for the break should be mayhem. I can see GVA taking it. He looks better than I anticipated.
If GVA makes the break then I can see Alaphilippe following. It would only make sense seeing that GVA is only 51sec down. Then Alaphilippe can spend the rest of the day in the break defending that 51 sec. The fight for the stage win would be epic though.

Fascinating day ahead.

Re:

Flamin said:

The fight for the break should be mayhem. I can see GVA taking it. He looks better than I anticipated.

I dunno.

On both stage 1 and 3, the break was established in 2 minutes.

Granted, today is a different kettle of fish, but baring a GC contender trying to go, or DQ fighting hard to keep the break small - neither of which seems likely - we might see the same today.

I hope you are right though ;)

Re: Re:

QuickZulu said:
Flamin said:

If GVA makes the break then I can see Alaphilippe following. It would only make sense seeing that GVA is only 51sec down. Then Alaphilippe can spend the rest of the day in the break defending that 51 sec. The fight for the stage win would be epic though.

Fascinating day ahead.

Yep, Ala joining the break wouldn't be a surprise. Attack is probably the best defense in this case.

I don't see any reason for Alaphillipe not to join the break, and I don't think anyone will stop him? The GC teams don't care about the yellow jersey at this point or Alaphillipe in general. Maybe Jumbo will be annoyed, but they should send guys in the break as well anyway, at least WvA.

Could be an awesome break - Ala, Sagan, Ewans, Matthews, Avermaet, Aert, Valverde maybe?

Broccolidwarf said:
Flamin said:

I dunno.

On both stage 1 and 3, the break was established in 2 minutes.

Granted, today is a different kettle of fish, but baring a GC contender trying to go, or DQ fighting hard to keep the break small - neither of which seems likely - we might see the same today.

I hope you are right though ;)
Its a flat start, everybody wants in the break... no, this wont be a procession. Thats another reason why sprinter stages suck, everybody knows whats gonna happen so no one bothers to even try the break.

Re:

spalco said:
I don't see any reason for Alaphillipe not to join the break, and I don't think anyone will stop him? The GC teams don't care about the yellow jersey at this point or Alaphillipe in general. Maybe Jumbo will be annoyed, but they should send guys in the break as well anyway, at least WvA.

Could be an awesome break - Ala, Sagan, Ewans, Matthews, Avermaet, Aert, Valverde maybe?
Why would Ewan be in the break?

Cance > TheRest said:
spalco said:

Why would Ewan be in the break?

For giggles.

This stage could have been so much better and still be a breakaway stage.
Did a quick profile on alternative route just 10km longer.

12xESs2.png

Re:

Gotland said:

12xESs2.png
Thats an amazing stage. Great work!

I guess its fine to keep it as it is considering we have a similar profile tomorrow, but harder. But I love that stage, would have been realy interesting.

Re:

Gotland said:

12xESs2.png

I would love to see a stage like that be one of the last GC days of the Tour instead of a TT or a 2,000m summit finish. 7 small-medium peaks instead of 3 high ones, there would be so much more potential for attacks.

Leinster said:
Gotland said:

12xESs2.png

I would love to see a stage like that be one of the last GC days of the Tour instead of a TT or a 2,000m summit finish. 7 small-medium peaks instead of 3 high ones, there would be so much more potential for attacks.

This is the Tour not the Giro. Everyone would just wait for the final climb.

TRENDING THREADS