• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019 stage 8 Mâcon - Saint-Étienne 200 km

Tour de France 2019 stage 8 Mâcon - Saint-Étienne 200 km
Saturday's Stage 8 in the Tour de France is a race from Mâcon to Saint-Étienne. The route takes in an altitude gain of 3,750 metres and amounts to 200 kilometres.

Mâcon hosted its last Tour de France in 2012. That stage took in three mountains and it turned out to be a day for the breakaway. Thomas Voeckler finished solo in Bellegarde-sur-Valserine.

The 2019 stage travels from Mâcon to Saint-Étienne. The capital of the Loire department is a popular arrival town in La Grande Boucle with 22 stage finishes since 1950. It has been a while though. The 2014 Tour de France saw the last stage finish in Saint-Étienne with Alexander Kristoff outsprinting Peter Sagan and Arnaud Demaré at the end of a hilly race.

This year’s route is also teeming with hills, yet ‘only’ seven are classified. Riders who are eyeing up the polka dot jersey have to be alert at kilometre 51. This is the summit of the Col de Croix Montmain, which is a 6.1 kilometres climb at 7%. At kilometre 71 more KOM points are available at the Col de Croix de Thel (4.1 kilometres at 8.1%) before the Col de La Croix Paquet (2.1 kilometres at 9.7%) is crested at kilometre 84.5.
Following the passage over the Côte d’Affoux (8.5 kilometres at 4.5%) the second half of the race offers three more KOM climbs. Côte de la Croix de Part peaks at kilometre 133 after a 4.9 kilometres toil at 7.9%. The Côte d’Aveize is also polka dot material. The 5.2 kilometres climb at 6.4% is crested with 51.5 kilometres remaining. The route continues to go either up or down with the Côte de la Jaillère standing out. The 1.9 kilometres hill slopes at 7.9%, while it is crested with 12.5 kilometres out. Moreover, time bonuses of 8, 5 and 3 seconds are up for grabs at the top.
The descent leads to an uphill kick at 5% in the third kilometre before the line. The ensuing downhill runs to the flamme rouge, while the last kilometre is flat.
Time bonuses of 10, 6 and 4 seconds are awarded to the first three riders on the line. Plus, as mentioned, there are extra seconds available at the Jaillère.
Start 12.10 CET (12.25 CET km 0)
stage-8-profile.jpg

map
stage-8-route.jpg

finish
stage-8-finale.jpg

Re:

Lequack said:
Obviously the breakaway will take this since none of the sprint teams will do any work.
Yes. No reason for sprinters' teams to work.
Trek has the interest to control the affairs and D-QS has a motive.
GC teams should be vigilant with the finish like this.
I'm expecting an interesting stage and nice views.

Re: Re:

THEORYY said:
Lequack said:
Obviously the breakaway will take this since none of the sprint teams will do any work.
I dont agree, DQS for Alaphilippe, Bora for Sagan, Sunweb for Matthews

I don't agree with you.

Alaphilippe will have to win the sprint, to take the jersey back, and that is not likely with Sagan and Matthews in the mix.

I think DQ will attack tomorrow, and try to put Alaphilippe in, what I expect to be a rather large break of 15-20 riders.

I expect The Kraghen to go along for Sunweb and Chessman for Bora, ruling both teams out from working in the peloton.

I also expect Ciccone to join the same break, and that the peloton will be left for the GC teams to control, unless some of the better stage focused teams missed the break, and desperately want to pull them back.

The one thing I see derailing all that, is if a perceived GC threat tries to sneak himself into the break.

Mar 14, 2018
Visit site

Broccolidwarf said:
THEORYY said:
Lequack said:

I don't agree with you.

Alaphilippe will have to win the sprint, to take the jersey back, and that is not likely with Sagan and Matthews in the mix.

I think DQ will attack tomorrow, and try to put Alaphilippe in, what I expect to be a rather large break of 15-20 riders.

I expect The Kraghen to go along for Sunweb and Chessman for Bora, ruling both teams out from working in the peloton.

I also expect Ciccone to join the same break, and that the peloton will be left for the GC teams to control, unless some of the better stage focused teams missed the break, and desperately want to pull them back.

The one thing I see derailing all that, is if a perceived GC threat tries to sneak himself into the break.

There is bonus 8 seconds on the last climb, he doesnt have to win the sprint!

If this was a one day race, I'd say it could be another Ala versus Fuglsang race. Ala - 6 seconds from the yellow jersey, but QS must be worried about burning up the team, Fuglsang, crashed heavily on stage one, so condition unknown. Astana have been taking it easy so far, so maybe they've marked this stage down for a go. Otherwise, a classics rider in the break seems likely.

THEORYY said:
Broccolidwarf said:
THEORYY said:
Lequack said:

I don't agree with you.

There is bonus 8 seconds on the last climb, he doesnt have to win the sprint!

Unless Ciccone or some GC guy beats him up that hill, which is not at all unlikely, in a complete peloton.

His chances lie with attacking and taking that climb in a reduced group, and the win as well.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
If this was a one day race, I'd say it could be another Ala versus Fuglsang race. Ala - 6 seconds from the yellow jersey, but QS must be worried about burning up the team, Fuglsang, crashed heavily on stage one, so condition unknown. Astana have been taking it easy so far, so maybe they've marked this stage down for a go. Otherwise, a classics rider in the break seems likely.

Fuglsang is not targeting any stage wins, irrespective of the crash.

His only focus is the podium, and a stage win would only come as part of an attack on the GC.

So I do not expect him to make a move, on anything but the big mountain stages.

GC wont be involved in this stage ...saving energy for the final weeks

So QS will want the yellow jersey back and Allaphillipe will try to win the stage ( and get the bonus seconds on the final climb)

So I dont see the break making it and certainly do not see Ciccone allowed in the break !

Break has a better chance on Sunday imo

There are a few teams ...Bora, DQS, CCC & Sunweb who have a big concentration on winning a stage like tomorrow so there will be a chase down

It will be in all those teams interests to get a man in the break so not having to chase

Expect a hard day for Trek ...Richie may have to eat more wind

Alaf' should try to get the jersey back and wear it on the Bastille Day week-end. And actually, Sunday suits him well and should be one of his objectives. This could be his week-end to become immortal in the French public eyes. After that, anything else is gravy. So why not?

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Just read Fuglsangs daily blog in the danish newspaper BT.

Some of the Astana doms will be allowed to hit the break tomorrow, to try and win a stage.

I would guess that kind of attitude towards tomorrow can spread in the peloton, so that quite a few GC teams let their doms try for a stage win.
Tomorrow's stage carries extra value for the Kazakhs.

After the way Alaphilippe climbed PdBF, he may not be allowed in any more breaks by the GC teams. He seems pretty unlikely to be able to sustain throughout, but Rasmussen pulled out some unprecedented ITT’s in 2007, so it is hard to be sure he can’t take a step up in his development. Of course, I am often wrong.

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Just read Fuglsangs daily blog in the danish newspaper BT.

Some of the Astana doms will be allowed to hit the break tomorrow, to try and win a stage.

I would guess that kind of attitude towards tomorrow can spread in the peloton, so that quite a few GC teams let their doms try for a stage win.

Might be a truce along GC riders tomorrow.

Re:

Summoned said:
After the way Alaphilippe climbed PdBF, he may not be allowed in any more breaks by the GC teams. He seems pretty unlikely to be able to sustain throughout, but Rasmussen pulled out some unprecedented ITT’s in 2007, so it is hard to be sure he can’t take a step up in his development. Of course, I am often wrong.

Especially with bonus seconds in play.

TRENDING THREADS