• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019 stage 8 Mâcon - Saint-Étienne 200 km

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Lequack said:
D_X1rokW4AAHZV_.jpg:large

When they approached the finish without Alaphilippe really contesting the sprint, I did wonder whether he didn't bother to sprint and "let" Pinot take the extra bonuses..they are pro's though, so perhaps too much tin-foil hat thinking hahaha :D

Re:

Pantani_lives said:
It proves that stage hunting is a specialty for strong riders, not a second price. This was no Doubting Thomas.
I can't remember who made the remark, that it would be hard for De Gendt in this TDF, because Zakarin, Dennis, Kelderman, Aru... wouldn't be riding for GC (since they got dropped for GC) so they would go stagehunting. As if those guys would be better than De Gendt at stagehunting (let alone when they are not in shape). lol... after all those years, people still think De Gendt is some second rate cyclist who is only succesful at the merci of better riders. As if stagehunting doesn't require a special talent, skillset, planning and lots of endurance.

Pantani_lives said:
What the Tour needs is a GC rider with the personality of De Gendt.
He's only 19. You'll have to wait a few years.

Re: Re:

Simurgh said:
Lequack said:

When they approached the finish without Alaphilippe really contesting the sprint, I did wonder whether he didn't bother to sprint and "let" Pinot take the extra bonuses..they are pro's though, so perhaps too much tin-foil hat thinking hahaha :D
I'm sure they get along well, but Alaphilippe did actually sprint. That finish you saw from him was his sprint. It's the same when people said he would easily beat Fuglsang in Amstel's sprint, but JA just can't sprint at all after putting a lot of effort on the flat.

Vroome.exe said:
Simurgh said:
Lequack said:

I'm sure they get along well, but Alaphilippe did actually sprint. That finish you saw from him was his sprint. It's the same when people said he would easily beat Fuglsang in Amstel's sprint, but JA just can't sprint at all after putting a lot of effort on the flat.

No, he didn't.

Re:

Lequack said:
Thomas has this in the bag, barring anything else. He came back from 30 seconds with no difficulty whatsoever even when the front of the race was full on. And he's likely to gain at least a minute on everyone else in the TT. Also Bernal won't be allowed to attack even if stronger, only if Ineos sees that Thomas has no chance to win will they let Bernal go.
C'mon people throw away this entire decadence. [;
IMO it's too soon to say what you say.
A lot depends on other teams tactics of course but there goes simple question: how to get Him tired and isolated?
Answer could be tough but it's absolutely reachable. Beacuase a) Thomas is not Froome b) race is 3 time longer than 1 week

Re:

Lequack said:
Thomas has this in the bag, barring anything else. He came back from 30 seconds with no difficulty whatsoever even when the front of the race was full on. And he's likely to gain at least a minute on everyone else in the TT. Also Bernal won't be allowed to attack even if stronger, only if Ineos sees that Thomas has no chance to win will they let Bernal go.

+1. Nailed it.

VayaVayaVaya said:
No one has other footage? I of course want to stamp out cheating, but I also will be pretty crushed if Ala and Pinot get regulated. They don’t control the motos, they showed panache, they’re riding strong, and Pinot is the main hope to derail Ineoas...I hope the footage is clean

You make the attack you get the benefit. it’s really simple stuff.

Blanco said:
Vroome.exe said:

No, he didn't.

Agreed. If there was a stage win on the line, he would have. But Ala did not give a full effort at the end. I don't know who would have won, but I would bet on Pinot on that 200th kilometer of the 8th stage of a grand tour. But it is a toss up.

I do think a time traveling Alaphillippe from the 2020's with more GT strength coming back to 2019 might win that sprint.

Broccolidwarf said:
fantomas said:
Broccolidwarf said:
DanielSong39 said:
As for Fuglsang he didn' t have the legs, I don't know what else there is to say

According to himself and his team, you are incorrect :)

And if he was correct, surely Fuglsang and the team would tell the world.

Fuglsang is usually honest when he doesn't have legs, so your attempt at sarcasm is off base :)

We'll see. If he did have the legs today, he messed up. If he didn't, there's not much to do.

Astana have explained their strategy in interviews: They wanted to make the race tough, possibly getting rid of rivals, while creating an opportunity for Fuglsang or Lutsenko to win the stage. First problem, then, was that Movistar were not interested in joining. Second problem: that nobody could follow Alaphilippe and Pinot on the final climb. Third problem: that the two Frenchmen got motorpacing on the last kilometers.

As I see it, the speed of the group led by Astana on the final climb was way too low, clearly illustrated by Thomas easily getting back to the group after his crash, and shortly after Alaphilippe attacking exactly like he did the other day. So I guess it all boils down to Fuglsang and Lutsenko not having the legs to make the difference today. They may not want to choose the same tactics for the coming stages, as that could demoralize the rest of the team (Sanchez said he didn't like the way Astana handled today's stage).

JosephK said:
Lequack said:

+1. Nailed it.

What are you talking about? Thomas had to close a 7 or 8 seconds gap at best by himself.

fantomas said:
Broccolidwarf said:
fantomas said:
Broccolidwarf said:
DanielSong39 said:
As for Fuglsang he didn' t have the legs, I don't know what else there is to say

Fuglsang is usually honest when he doesn't have legs, so your attempt at sarcasm is off base :)

We'll see. If he did have the legs today, he messed up. If he didn't, there's not much to do.

He already admitted he messed up, by sitting to much towards the front of the group....... have you not heard the interview?

But that is neither here nor there....... the point - still - is, that even when both he and Uran reacted within 2 seconds of the attack, and where within 10 meters at the bend, the motorcycle made it impossible to follow Ala and Pinot on the decent, where it helped them edge out a large gap.

This is not a new problem, it happens all the time, so it seems odd you refuse to believe it in this instance?

Re:

Danskebjerge said:
Astana have explained their strategy in interviews: They wanted to make the race tough, possibly getting rid of rivals, while creating an opportunity for Fuglsang or Lutsenko to win the stage. First problem, then, was that Movistar were not interested in joining. Second problem: that nobody could follow Alaphilippe and Pinot on the final climb. Third problem: that the two Frenchmen got motorpacing on the last kilometers.

As I see it, the speed of the group led by Astana on the final climb was way too low, clearly illustrated by Thomas easily getting back to the group after his crash, and shortly after Alaphilippe attacking exactly like he did the other day. So I guess it all boils down to Fuglsang and Lutsenko not having the legs to make the difference today. They may not want to choose the same tactics for the coming stages, as that could demoralize the rest of the team (Sanchez said he didn't like the way Astana handled today's stage).

Thomas got back on the flat dude, so you are absolutely incorrect about that being an indication of the speed on the climb :)

Broccolidwarf said:
Danskebjerge said:

Thomas got back on the flat dude, so you are absolutely incorrect about that being an indication of the speed on the climb :)

No, he did not.

Broccolidwarf said:
fantomas said:
Broccolidwarf said:
DanielSong39 said:

Thats exactly what he isnt. For the second time in a row when Alaf attacks like a french moto, Fuglsang comes across as a guy in interviews who could have followed, but didnt for various reasons.
Just *** do it is my advice.

Valv.Piti said:
Broccolidwarf said:
fantomas said:
Broccolidwarf said:
DanielSong39 said:

Thats exactly what he isnt. For the second time in a row when Alaf attacks like a french moto, Fuglsang comes across as a guy in interviews who could have followed, but didnt for various reasons.
Just **** do it is my advice.

Exactly. Less talk, more action. Like Pinot. Today was the perfect example of why Fuglsang is just not likeable, as opposed to the likes of de Gendt, Alaphillipe and Pinot.

I think Fuglsang has raced very well this season, aggressively, but this is the Tour. It all just gets a little bigger and he may be a bit hampered by the crash. Im just tired of listening to why he didn't do anything as opposed to him just saying *** it, lets go. He needs a bit more of that at this very moment.

JosephK said:
Lequack said:

+1. Nailed it.

And why would any team allow a junior member to attack the defending champion who is ahead in GC?

Anyway, still early days. The accident and chase will have cost Thomas precious energy today withe the crucial TT and high altitude stages coming up.

BTW, the opening week of this TdF has been far more interesting than this year's Giro. Think the ASO have done a good job.

TRENDING THREADS