• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
On Saturday, July 6, 2019, the Tour will start with a road stage through Flanders and Wallonia. The next day there will be a team time trial in Brussels. The plans will be explained in more detail on 16 January. (Het Nieuwsblad)

I cant see anything bad about a cobbled/hilly stage + a TTT, at least something will happen and small gaps will open. Its surely better than sprinter stages, no? I mean, the ASO can't really win... Im on board with everything that isn't just flat, flat and Kittel early on.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I cant see anything bad about a cobbled/hilly stage + a TTT, at least something will happen and small gaps will open. Its surely better than sprinter stages, no? I mean, the ASO can't really win... Im on board with everything that isn't just flat, flat and Kittel early on.
You're on board with a finish in Liege and Valverde early on :p

Why can't we have a finish on top of the Mur de Huy? That sounds good to me. Flanders type stage, TTT, then stage 3 on top of the Mur de Huy with a Fleche Wallone type stage?

I'm with Valv.Piti, anything with hills and maybe some cobbles and not a flat sprinters stage.

For me the wet dream is prologue in Bruxelles, hilly stage from Liege to Huy or Namur using 7/10 Ardennes hills, Flanders stage to Gerardsbergen or Ninove (i'm not a fan of Oudenaarde finish and Oude Kwaremont/Paterberg combo) with at least five cobbled climbs and a final loop with the Muur and then cobbles stage to Aremberg (with the forest as finale not like 2014) but longer than this year one in the first four days.

The reality will probably be a TTT, two flat stages of 210/220 kms and maybe one stage with some hills or cobbles.

There are plenty of hilly cobbled sectors between Wavre and Waterloo (mainly around Lasne and Ohain). This is however just barely in Wallonne. As for Flanders, if you don't want the region of Oudenaarde, then i think there are at least two north of Leuven and 1 near Genk. There are also like 3-4 east of Brugge (i think at least once used by loca Tour of Belgium, or maybe it was another local race). There is a thread with some of the more forgotten Belgian cobbles.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Alexandre B. said:
The Grand Depart will be presented tomorrow. It will likely feature :

Bruxelles - Bruxelles, 192km with Muur van Geraardsbergen on the road (I do hope there's more on the menu)
Bruxelles - Bruxelles TTT, 50km

Source (nl) : https://sportnieuws.nl/wielrennen/etappe-1-tour-2019-gaat-muur-geraardsbergen/
That looks tastyyyyyyyy
Stage 1 will likely be a joke, though (Muur van Geraardsbergen reduced to a mere early KOM).

Garbage route, sadly.
DTp-XO_XcAIsDUK.jpg

DTp-YA_WsAAQg8D.jpg

Of all possible things, they never fail to do the worst possible stages.

These are two stages that could take place everywhere in France too. Merckx is the greatest classics rider of all time, Flanders is known for its classics...we want to honor them...what could we possibly do? A parade stage for Marcel Kittel!!

TRENDING THREADS