• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 13 (Châtel-Guyon - Puy Mary, 191.5 km)

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Really I see so much talk about Col de la Loze I might write a super long post comparing it to like 10 different climbs and why it isn't that hard before I'm dead wrong.
Here are a list of some tough climbs, ranked by APM coefficient ( not perfect because it is biased to very steep climbs, but a decent starting point nonetheless ) :

Reactions: Luthor
Here are a list of some tough climbs, ranked by APM coefficient ( not perfect because it is biased to very steep climbs, but a decent starting point nonetheless ) :
Or this:

I know coefficients like that exist but I'm not that much of a fan of them.

Rough list of comparable climbs would be like

• Agnello east
  • Stelvio both sides
  • Lago Serru
  • Cuitu Negru
  • Bola del Mundo
  • Gavia south, hasn't been raced in ages
  • Col de Portet
  • Passo Manghen
  • Col de la Lombarde
  • Cime de Bonette
There's more but I really wonder what's the main determinant were looking at here, and if it's altitude, length, gradient or specific profile, etc. Some climbs look weird to put in there like Cuitu Negru but I think you can definitely replace altitude by gradient to some degree. Also most of these haven't been used as MTFs, which is a key difference, and some of them haven't even been used as a decisive climb, like Manghen.

I think Lago Serru is the most directly comparable, and that just having a few super hard km at the end of a long climb isn't that special in itself, going by Bola del mundo.

Last edited:
Reactions: gregrowlerson
Should have focused on the Vuelta after he saw Col de la Loze on the route.

I feel obliged now to post things that might age terribly
I feel obliged to make a post which might age terribly as well: Bernal is not gonna gain minutes on Roglic on Loze. Peak Roglic can even beat Bernal there. Last kms are quite steep, with two of them going over 11 %. Not gonna say what happened last time two kms with over 11 % happened. :p The altitude is not even that high comparing to last year on Iseran and Galibier. I wouldn't be surprised if Roglic wins. He has the team and the form necessary.

I feel obliged to make a post which might age terribly as well: Bernal is not gonna gain minutes on Roglic on Loze. Peak Roglic can even beat Bernal there. Last kms are quite steep, with two of them going over 11 %. Not gonna say what happened last time two kms with over 11 % happened. :p The altitude is not even that high comparing to last year on Iseran and Galibier. I wouldn't be surprised if Roglic wins. He has the team and the form necessary.
"Primoz you feelin good"

"Yes Tom, go choo choo"

Reactions: Luthor
Loze is over 1 hour total effort. A whole different ballgame compared to today.
Which might not favor Bernal after all. If he was that hurt after today which is a shorter one, how much gas can he find on 17? Roglic seemed to still have smth in his tank at the end. We assume Bernal is better in endurance but I don't think we have seen Roglic on a very long climb while he is in form.

TRENDING THREADS