• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 19 (Bourg-en-Bresse - Champagnole, 166.5 km)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sam needs 18 points to wear green tomorrow assuming Sagan takes 70. I don't see Sagan getting in any break that doesn't include Sam but will need to ride so hard that Sam gets 0 points. Seeing as this is sorta a classics stage I could see DQ using Ala to mark Sagan and try steal points if Sam can't keep up

Reactions: Sandisfan
The profile for the last 14k with mostly downhill is really insidious speaking a risk for the peleton sprint train miscalculating the hunting disance to a possible strong breakaway.
However a strong tail wind would've helped the possible breakaway even more and today's weatherforecast says 2-3 m/s besides they're riding in a circle the last 50k after the sprint, so that is not a subject.

I just saw that Lotto riders possess four of the five bottom places on GC. Considering that they only have five riders in the race it's no surprise to see them last in the team's competition. But more than 13 hours down?

That is BY FAR the largest deficit in modern times in the Tour (I checked back to the beginning of the 90s and never was it more than nine hours, but this year, NTT and Total are also more than nine and ten hours behind, respectively, and Israel have a shot as well).
In 1995 lotto finished with only 2 riders. They weren't even included in the team competition anymore.

• Wow
But that is a factor of DNFs and DNSs, not of absence from the breaks and failing to compete for stages or stay in the main peloton. Different reflection on the team.

It's a remarkable stat but you can't say they had a bad Tour. After they lost both Gilbert and Degenkolb in the first stage they still managed to win two stages with Ewan and might snatch another win today or (more likely) on sunday.

It's a clear strategy to focus on and protect Ewan at all costs as he is their best asset for stage wins.

Here are some comparables from 2000s. Final Friday stages, flat stage with previous being a mountain stage and Saturday having time trial on the schedule.

2006 - Tosatto from the breakaway
2010 - Cavendish from the sprint
2012 - Cavendish from the sprint
2014 - Navardauskas from the short breakaway
2017 - Boasson Hagen from the breakaway

TRENDING THREADS