• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 2 (Nice Haut Pays - Nice, 186 km)

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Porte is also the least exciting race contender since Leipheimer. He makes Haimar Zubeldia look like Aleksandr Vinokourov. He makes Tadej Valjavec look like Vincenzo Nibali. He makes Adam Yates look like Simon Yates.
That is unfair and simply untrue. We've seen Porte attack plenty of times on climbs though usually in shorter stage races and not GTS. I've also seen him win a ton of races. I don't remember seeing Zubeldia win anything. Idk, maybe I saw him win a TT once or twice.

Yes, and we've seen Alejandro Valverde animate countless smaller races before retreating into his shell in major ones. Richie Porte in a GT is about as beige as it gets, and as inspiring as Louis Meintjes under strict instructions to ride as defensively as possible, and the one time he ever added something to a Grand Tour, a motorbike brought it to a crashing halt after about 200m.

Right. Forget TdU. The guy has won over 30 races and some big ones. Both stage wins and GCs plus wore the Maglia Rosa in the Giro for a few days.

Comparing him to Zubeldia is ridiculous.
He wore the maglia rosa in 2010 because he got a 13 minute time gift. Take the TDU out of it and he has won some decent races, but the TDU accounts for a high percentage of the races he's won. After a decade of being sold as a GT contender, he's now 35 and he's only once beaten the result he managed as a neo-pro with a 13 minute time gift. He's a quality rider over one week, but he adds absolutely nothing to GTs and, as a leader at least, never has done.

He wore the maglia rosa in 2010 because he got a 13 minute time gift. Take the TDU out of it and he has won some decent races, but the TDU accounts for a high percentage of the races he's won. After a decade of being sold as a GT contender, he's now 35 and he's only once beaten the result he managed as a neo-pro with a 13 minute time gift. He's a quality rider over one week, but he adds absolutely nothing to GTs and, as a leader at least, never has done.
He adds memes Libertine how can you ignore the memes.

Only thing that really surprised me about that was how low down the climb Ala attacked. Left himself a fair bit of work.

Feels like this really could be a tour of surprises. Maybe Movistar will get there *** together.

Well Movistar's GC riders looked better today than they did at Burgos and the Dauphine. However it also wasn't exactly a hard raced stage either. Either way Soler's form, even with the bruised knee from yesterday, looked better.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Alaf is a pretty remarkable rider. He basically said he'd win this stage; everyone knew he was going to attack on the final climb; he was towing Hirschi and Yates; had to calculate his sprint to bluff Yates off his wheel; and still won. He can win Stage 4 if he's climbing like last year; but I think that one of the big GC guys is going to attack on the last climb. Anyway, awesome to win the stage and the yj...
He won, kudos! But he didn't looked stronger than the other two. He won't win stage 4.

Reactions: Koronin
Sunweb are backing Ces Bol for sprints so I guess that would have been a conflict with Matthews ambitions or maybe they need someone to win in Italy for the sponsor?

Benoot s the leader but he is not going well at alland retired from the Dauphine so bringing him to the Tour was maybe a mistake

SK Anderson, Hirchi & Roche are trying for stages and maybe KOM

There are stages on this Tour where Bol can go for the win (yesterday, Ile de Re, Paris) and stages where Matthews could go for the win (Privas, Champagnole, Lyon) and not have them stepping on each other's toes.

Nobody would love to see Roche win a stage more than I would, but there's no way he, or Kragh, or Benoot, is a better shot for a stage than Bling.

Take the TDU out and he has won 5 major short stage races.

Unfortunately GTs are a different animal and even on an aggressive day like the stage Bardet won in 2016, he can't make a difference with his attacks.

Of, course I'm aware of how he got the MR but by definition, you're not anonymous while wearing the leader's jersey.

He's certainly underperformed in GTs, and you can't blame all of it on his crashes but comparing a guy with a ton of major wins to someone who won almost nothing his entire career isn't fair, imo.

TRENDING THREADS