• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 20 ITT (Lure - La Planche des Belles Filles, 36.2km)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Haven't Jumbo had issues with the weight of the Bianchis? Hence them riding rim brakes and unbadged wheels, etc (and switching to Cervelo next year?). I don't know the weight difference between the XR4 and their TT bike, but I'd imagine if their road bike isn't very light, it tilts the balance back in favour of just staying on the TT bike right through.
Jumbo's Bianchis are probably 6.8kgs (at least Roglic his bike: full dura ace, no paint and Corima tubulars).
Most other team's bikes are heavier (disc brakes etc).

So I don't get your reasoning behind the "I'd imagine if their road bike isn't very light"

Bit of a technical question reagrding TTs... When does the time actually start for the riders? Is there a some sort of sensor that detects the riders at the bottom of the ramp or within the first 10 m or so? Surely the time isn't started when the beeping countdown ends? Often riders start half a second early or just not exactly on time. In particular short TTs are sometimes decided by fractions of a second so surely there has to be an actual system to start the time?

I wouldn't want to be starting in front of Dumoulin. I expect Roglic to hang on. Lopez would have to have a really bad day to lose third, even worse for Porte to lose fourth, Landa shouldn't lose four minutes to Dumoulin for fifth. Think Valverde will hang on for 10th. But there are always unlikely results in TTs so I will take Porte for the podium simply because it would be a good redemption story after a long career with a lot of disappointments in grand tours.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Six finalists for the super-combatif announced.
Hirschi
Alaphilippe
Rolland
Kämna
Powless
Carapaz

At the moment Hirschi leads Twitter vote by a clear margin with Rolland on second place.

Reasonable group - I think Hirschi's deserved it with the variety and significance of his attacking.

Rolland and Ala were both active but it felt like it was more for the cameras at times...

Carapaz did brilliantly but very heavily weighted to the 3rd week whereas Hirschi has been at it the whole race.

I'm surprised but glad that Powless is on the list (they tend to overlook riders of his profile)- he deserved it. He was the most aggresive rider from the breakaway on stage 6 (it's a travesty IMO that Roche got the red number and not him that day) and one of the two most aggresive with Schachmann on stage 13. He was in one or two more breakaways atop of that and also tried to make it on a couple of more ocassions- it's hard to find a rider who tried harder than him across the race.

Bit of a technical question reagrding TTs... When does the time actually start for the riders? Is there a some sort of sensor that detects the riders at the bottom of the ramp or within the first 10 m or so? Surely the time isn't started when the beeping countdown ends? Often riders start half a second early or just not exactly on time. In particular short TTs are sometimes decided by fractions of a second so surely there has to be an actual system to start the time?

2.4.013 The start may be determined by the front tyre making contact with an electronic timing strip on the start line. If the rider starts fractionally before the countdown reaches 0 or in the following 5 seconds the time it is triggered is used. If the rider starts after this 5 second delay has elapsed or in the event of problems with the electronic timing, the rider's time shall be counted as from the start of manual timing following the countdown.

2.4.013 The start may be determined by the front tyre making contact with an electronic timing strip on the start line. If the rider starts fractionally before the countdown reaches 0 or in the following 5 seconds the time it is triggered is used. If the rider starts after this 5 second delay has elapsed or in the event of problems with the electronic timing, the rider's time shall be counted as from the start of manual timing following the countdown.

Thanks, I think I never heard any commentator mention this. But good to know there is proper time-keeping applied.

Six finalists for the super-combatif announced.
Hirschi
Alaphilippe
Rolland
Kämna
Powless
Carapaz

At the moment Hirschi leads Twitter vote by a clear margin with Rolland on second place.

Alaphilippe shouldn't be on that list, unless you get it for tightening your shoes or riding your bike as if you're balancing on a high wire. Only on it because he is French. I'd even put C. Ewan on there before him. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Alaphilippe shouldn't be on that list, unless you get it for tightening your shoes or riding your bike as if you're balancing on a high wire. Only on it because he is French. I'd even put C. Ewan on there before him. :D

I know it's easy to rag on Ala because he's been all sizzle no steak for most of the race, but he did spark the attack that won him a stage and he has constantly tried to get into breaks and engage in the race rather than just soft pedalling in the bunch.

TRENDING THREADS