• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2020 | Stage 21 (Mantes-la-Jolie - Paris, 122 km)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
35 was proposed on Eurosport.

It's not a novel idea, I'm sure it's mentioned now and again.

But I don't think there would be any prestige in that. For a young rider the white jersey is only a consolation prize anyway also, but at least it's nice to showcase who's maybe next in line in the following years, but anyone capable of being "best young rider" wants to win the yellow jersey.

And I think it would be the same with the grey jersey. I would assume a rider like Valverde would think "ok, yes, I'm old, but I still want to *** win the race, not get a fake prize for being old".

35 was proposed on Eurosport.

Making the ranking: 1. Porte, 2. Valverde, 3. LL Sanchez this year.

That would make about 20 guys competing for it. Maybe a few less with all the abandons... BTW, Porte is clearly an outlier!!!

I don't think the white jersey is that great, but its indeed nice to sometimes get some side action when there's no 21 year olds in contention for yellow but it's still close and somewhere in the top 10.

Now it is getting a bit more archaic with how young the last 2 winners are to have it u25.

But I don't think there would be any prestige in that. For a young rider the white jersey is only a consolation prize anyway also, but at least it's nice to showcase who's maybe next in line in the following years, but anyone capable of being "best young rider" wants to win the yellow jersey.

I think the thing about the white jersey is that sometimes - like currently - it's basically a "side jersey", won by a guy who's already up there in the main GC competition - and sometimes outright winning the whole damn thing - sometimes it's fought between by riders who're far behind.

Speaking of jerseys, the white jersey is pretty much useless by now.
It used to be the jersey for the up and coming talents, not yet at their prime age, but these days the young talents win the big races.

Something I WOULD like to see, not just in the Tour but year round:
Colour coded helmets, across the entire peloton at each race, so that for instance the No. 1 (by racing number) in a team always wore a red helmet, No. 2 a green, and so on.
It is always difficult to discern numbers in a helicopter shot, but if you always knew the team pre-race captain was in a red helmet, it would be much easier to gain tactical clarity as a spectator.
For any viewer, it would become a lot easier to pick out your favorite rider, if you knew their helmet colour in each race.

Speaking of jerseys, the white jersey is pretty much useless by now.
It used to be the jersey for the up and coming talents, not yet at their prime age, but these days the young talents win the big races.

Colour coded helmets, across the entire peloton at each race, so that for instance the No. 1 (by racing number) in a team always wore a red helmet, No. 2 a green, and so on.
It is always difficult to discern numbers in a helicopter shot, but if you always knew the team pre-race captain was in a red helmet, it would be much easier to gain tactical clarity as a spectator.
For any viewer, it would become a lot easier to pick out your favorite rider, if you knew their helmet colour in each race.
I think Sunweb GM or who suggested introducing big numbers at the back of the jerseys for exactly the same reason, like in any other team sport. Interesting idea...

Yes I am also not a fan that it's not raced and that "it belongs" to the sprinters. Technically it makes it a 20 day, not a 21 day race.
I get that, and if things were super close I suppose it would be raced legitimatel. But I see it more as a communal celebration and respect for the incredible effort everyone has put in for three weeks. With a little bit of kudos and (sometimes) competition for Green at the end.

I get that, and if things were super close I suppose it would be raced legitimatel. But I see it more as a communal celebration and respect for the incredible effort everyone has put in for three weeks. With a little bit of kudos and (sometimes) competition for Green at the end.

It's also a question of the stage design.

If the same stage was in the middle of the race, we would all know it would end in a bunch sprint 19 out of 20 times, and that the token early break was a waste of everyone's time.

It would be the kind of stage, that only got interesting the last 50 k, which is effectively what we get anyway :cool:

Reactions: mollusc
I would let them pick the colour but with no 2 matching. No. 1 team get first pick

There aren't enough clearly discernable colours for that.

8-9 (which is all you need, if the codes are the same for each team) is no problem at all.

20-25 is possible...... but after that, you get into so minute shade differences, that it becomes an exercise in futility.

A peloton of 200 is impossible to do individual colours for.

I'm not so sure of this solution, there are many camera shots from which I recognise how many riders from each team are in the peloton by helmets rather than by jerseys because it's easier that way.

I'm not so sure of this solution, there are many camera shots from which I recognise how many riders from each team are in the peloton by helmets rather than by jerseys because it's easier that way.

I only look at helmets, when two teams have close designs (like Trek and UAE).

But obviously, if the UCI instituted helmet rules to the effect I suggest, they should also implement rules to ensure against similar team jersey designs.

TRENDING THREADS