• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 6 (Le Teil - Mont Aigoual, 191 km)

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interesting line of argumentation

Anyway I have found the problem with today's stage

24808.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: gregrowlerson
Comparing machines to humans. What a great leg to stand on.
Comparing racing formats, not vehicles. Come on, you're smarter than to play that card to score points.

The 24h du Mans is a race in which the course is always active and any time to gain or lose is accepted, the Paris-Dakar has set "liaison" stretches of course which are there purely for vehicle endurance and maintenance, and set "time attack" sections of course where racing takes place.

Reactions: Forever The Best
I actually don't think Roglic will be able to follow when they hit the two big summit finishes

If the team and himself expected that, they would be attacking these stages like crazy, trying to get a gap. Instead, both the team and himself seem to be rather sure he will be dancing around Bernal like in Tour de l'Ain, casually rising the pace and riding away from everyone at will. And so far, nothing has proven us otherwise. But I do think they will put more effort on Saturday. Hard pace on Bales and the Peyresourde and then a small group (or ideally an attack by Rogla going solo) rides away in the last couple of kilometers before the downhill, where differences should stick.

I, for my part, didn't expect GC relevant attacks today. And I can understand why Trek/EF/Bora/Astana and so on will ride it conservatively. A top 10 in the Tour is worth a lot to the teams.

BUT - I would have thought that Jumbo Visma would want to capitalize at one point or another. They are clearly superior - currently. Also, distancing everyone was pretty much the most used winning strategy in recent history. Its what US Postal did in all 7 wins and it is what Sky did in most wins. So thats a bit surprising and, if true what Mollema said (Bernal shouting at doms to lower the pace), even a bit foolish in my opinion. Roglic could already have several competitors distanced by minutes. That may backfire in the 3rd week.

Not as individuals. Of course they know there are fans, but their job is not to make us happy.
There is a certain irony though, in that normally that point is used with regards to riders like Simon Gerrans or Louis Meintjes, who are perceived as maximising their results through negative racing. While there is some distaste for them finding success through that route, there is at least an understanding of why they do it (well, maybe we should go back in time to someone like Leipheimer rather than Meintjes, because Leipheimer's TT weapon meant he could actually use his tactics to win things, whereas Meintjes topped out at being a placement rider) because they aren't paid to entertain us, they're paid to win bike races. But that just makes Jumbo today all the more perplexing, because you would think that allowing such a slow tempo when tomorrow's stage is a flat one is a higher risk strategy - it gives up the opportunity to benefit from the bonus seconds at the top of the climb that Roglič would be favourite for, it keeps more opposition close at hand, it allows more opponents to benefit from domestiques for longer - than setting a more aggressive tempo would have been, especially perplexing when they had so much success at the Dauphiné with their tempo-setting strategy.

Even as individuals.

I doubt there are any riders out there who know that some crazy person by the name of [RedheadDane] exists (not gonna use my real name). Sure, on occasion I might have interacted with a few of them on social media, but there are so many fans an followers out there, they probably forget about it again.
Sure, there might be a few people out there who get to know riders on a semi-personal basis, but for the vast majority that's not the case.

Oh, I love Alaphilippe and Evenepoel... cause I think they'd disagree.

They're riding in a way that suits them, which just happens to be more entertaining.

But anyway; I really just don't see a point in being angry about something that literally don't affect me in any way.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
I doubt there are any riders out there who know that some crazy person by the name of [RedheadDane] exists (not gonna use my real name). Sure, on occasion I might have interacted with a few of them on social media, but there are so many fans an followers out there, they probably forget about it again.
Sure, there might be a few people out there who get to know riders on a semi-personal basis, but for the vast majority that's not the case.
Have you seen how Contador named his bike line?

TRENDING THREADS