• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2020

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
2011 also only had one previous winner at the start. Same in 2012. In 2002 Armstrong was the only previous winner. No previous winner was at the start in 1999. It really isn't that unusual.

In 2002 and 2011 that winner had won multiple editions, though, which was what I commented on.

2020: 1 edition won by riders on start list
2019: 2
2018: 5
2017: 6
2016: 6
2015: 5
2014: 4
2013: 4
2012: 1
2011: 3
2010: 10
2009: 9
2008: 0
2007: 0
2006: 0
2005: 7
2004: 6
2003: 5
2002: 3
2001: 3
2000: 3
1999: 0
1998: 2
1997: 1
1996: 5
1995: 4
1994: 6
1993: 6
1992: 8

And there I was born, so things before that are unimportant (or I just didn't want to spend more time on this ;) )

I wonder what Carapaz is thinking about this. I mean, he goes into this as co leader but surely without having prepared for the tour and looking subpar himself at lombardia he can't actually go into this expecting to win, right?
I feel like he probably would have preferred to out and out lead a gt team after last season.

I have to admit though. The route really suits him and he might be Ineos' answer to Roglic's last kilometer accelerations. And possibly quite a good one.

I think the Tour wil end up being between Carapaz, Pinot and Dumoulin

I'm not sure how Carapaz is ready ?

Also I would hzve brought Thomas ...he is stlil a top Dom and would have gotten better

Froome should see if he can get to ISCN and get a ride with them ...transfer now
And then set off on some mountain pass halfway thru a stage and roast them all

Very good decision by Ineos. This squad is not weaker without Froome and Thomas, but surely more motivated and hungry of success. We may see interesting tactical use of Carapaz. I think there will be no typical "Sky-train" this year.
Tbf, I'm not really sure with your last assumption. Castro, Rowe, Van Baarle and K have proven their choochoo skills last year and even lately. But I agree with the fact that this comp is more interesting for the race!

I wonder what Carapaz is thinking about this. I mean, he goes into this as co leader but surely without having prepared for the tour and looking subpar himself at lombardia he can't actually go into this expecting to win, right?
I feel like he probably would have preferred to out and out lead a gt team after last season.

I have to admit though. The route really suits him and he might be Ineos' answer to Roglic's last kilometer accelerations. And possibly quite a good one.

Who cares what's he thinking, Ineos pays good money for him to ride his bike. Sure it's not quite OK for his development as a team captain, GT winner and all but I guess he can't argue.

As for his chances, there are none. I can't imagine he trained for TdF and he has a leader which he must support until some point. He'll probably (hopefully) be a protected rider and try to pull a Lago Serru somewhere and sprint with Roglic if he can cope with the Jumbo train.

I’d say the problem is the anti British post on this forum, mild racism at best

Great-Britain is great, I lived there for about a year and it is a beautiful country. However, most people only care about athletes from their own country, the less interested they are in sports in general, the worse it gets. Also commentators are awfully biased, in cycling especially, since they often know the riders from their country personally and meet them for drinks once in a while or whatever.
Since the British commentary is the one you often get if you don't get the one from your country (German in my case), that can become annoying. Also the only foreign language sports pages I read are the Guardian's (and AS sometimes, my Spanish is not good enough for anything else). I don't speak Italian, for instance. The bias from your own country is bad enough, but having to listen or read the one from another country is worse :D:D
Also... British cyclists are often not the most beautiful ones to watch in these times, as they more often come from the track than MTB or cross, but I think that's changing...

Sounds like some simplistic xenophobia backward thinking to me
That's one way of looking at it.

Another way of looking at it is to remember that this is sport we're talking about. This is competition, this is entertainment. There are those you are loyal to and there are your enemies. There are heroes and villains. In sport it's all irrational who you love and who you hate. You 'hate' your rivals but you know well enough that this is only sport - something silly.

Countries like my own have deep troubled histories with others. Almost all countries do. Thankfully most are able to move past the hatred of the past. Ireland is no longer oppressed by the British. Almost the entire population of Britain has absolutely nothing to do with that oppression. Ireland has move on from the 1930s - 1950s, when our political focus seemed to be entirely on foiling the British while ignoring our severe economical problems and mass emigration. Our two countries have a very good relationship now.

But sport is different. It's pointless entertainment. Sure there are some who cannot separate sporting rivalries from the real world - and yes, it is very sad to see that hatred. But when I'm watching twenty-two men chase a ball around a field for an hour and a half, or watching a large group of men in lycra fly up a mountain, I hope my ignorance can be forgiven - but I smile when the British lose. After all, this is sport.

I wonder if Carapaz is happy with this decision? A bit surprised about Thomas, at least. You need experience on such GT. Anyway, TJV was affected with a few health issues on Critérium du Dauphiné, hopefully not too much, and i am guessing, although i didn't see them race together, this is the strongest lineup Ineos has ATM. Hence both teams again moved slightly closer, when it comes to expectations, on how they will perform on Tour.

P.S. No need to worry about one team winning the Tour easily.

All in all, teams starting the preparation races for the Tour in a way majority of favorites crash or abandon the race, due to health issues. Super teams changing their lineups just a few days before the Tour starts. To really make sure they went all in and there are no reserves left.

This Tour edition will be nuclear!

Reactions: bob.a.feet

TRENDING THREADS