• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021 - Enthusiastic laymen's thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which team has the winner of the Tour de France 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The only way the train works in this TdF is if they push so hard that they get the group of heads of state down to 10 riders, 3 or 4 of whom are Ineos, and Roglic and Pogacar are by themselves. So they can then play their cards.

Seems unlikely imo that you can ride hard enough to shell all of WVA, Kruijswijk, Kuss, Majka, Formolo, McNulty, Vingegaard etc without putting the likes of Carapaz, Porte or Thomas to work. I can't see TGH, Dennis, Kwia etc dropping them easily assuming those guys are timing themselves for the Tour. You also have to hope other teams like Movistar or Bahrain won't chase you when you attack if Pog and Rog are isolated.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I disagree with views that Movistar will be boring. In 2019, they tried to break up the race early (before the final climb) and did a pretty good job of it. The problem was Landa and Quintana weren't strong enough to do much with it. I think they'll do similar this year. There aren't many opportunities to do it (Stages 8 and 17, maybe 18 and 15?) and they might fail, but I expect them to try.

Jumbo and Ineos will not pace the climbs.

Ineos will pace the climbs. They will try to limit attacks of Pog&Rog with superb uphill tempo. If 2-3 or them feel great (and the Slovenians have no domestiques left) they will try to attack them and force to chase.

Ineos will pace the climbs. They will try to limit attacks of Pog&Rog with superb uphill tempo. If 2-3 or them feel great (and the Slovenians have no domestiques left) they will try to attack them and force to chase.
As i already mentioned with the caveat that they donot have a brain freeze. Looks like the brain freeze started early for Ineos. The only way this works if they pace hard on the early climbs drop the Jumbo/UAE domestiques which is a tall order otherwise the Slovenians will just take the Ineos train to victory. Also unless its Brailsford, i would take any words from their DS with a grain of salt as it might only be mindgames. As seen from the Dauphine and TOS, they have their own weakness.

I want a Tour which belongs into the clinic but manages to mask it so well I am able to close my eyes to everything I don't want to realize. :innocent:

No seriously, I think the starting situation with this first week, some really strong riders and some really strong teams looks great.
I just hope the main protagonists don't crash out in one of the early stages so we can get a real battle. The anticipation reminds me of the 2014 Tour, when it was all set for a Froome - Contador - Nibali royal battle, but it ended with Nibali toying with the French armada lead by grandpa JC Peraud.

I just hope the main protagonists don't crash out in one of the early stages so we can get a real battle. The anticipation reminds me of the 2014 Tour, when it was all set for a Froome - Contador - Nibali royal battle, but it ended with Nibali toying with the French armada lead by grandpa JC Peraud.

Even outside of Pogacar, Roglic and Ineos there are a lot of riders much stronger than Peraud and Pinot.

• Haha
Seems unlikely imo that you can ride hard enough to shell all of WVA, Kruijswijk, Kuss, Majka, Formolo, McNulty, Vingegaard etc without putting the likes of Carapaz, Porte or Thomas to work. I can't see TGH, Dennis, Kwia etc dropping them easily assuming those guys are timing themselves for the Tour. You also have to hope other teams like Movistar or Bahrain won't chase you when you attack if Pog and Rog are isolated.
The strongest team can get worked over if its done properly. Sky in 2013 were freakystrong, yet the other teams managed to get Froome by himself for nearly a full stage. He was just too strong to do anything with it.

Already looking forward to the inevitable moment Pogacar launches his attack and 5 remaining Ineos drones crumble at the same time.

LOL.
I knew it, they couldn't help themselves. When Pogacar attacks with one leg, the train will open both ways, 1 to the left and i to the right. The will plea for JV to build a new train!!!!! :tearsofjoy:

• Wow
Roglič
He can do it.
All in all he will be fine (one way or the what ever way).
But for me 3 weeks of constant worry/torture (are you up front, are you fed, are you drinking, again are you up front, how are the legs, please don't crack jokes only "." can see as funny,...
Ok, jokes I'll be fine with.
Just don't crash.)
I KNOW I'm not his Mom, but he is the only rider that makes me feel that way.

They will find a way to prepare 5 drones working at 6.5 w/kg. Marginal gains, Pogi is doomed.
i think ineos will have problems deciding who is the real leader, especially after first TT thomas will be the best positioned but carapaz will feel like hes got good legs too which forces him to attack prematurely, pog counters and becomes first human to clock 7w/kg in the finish, the sheer speed uphill makes thomas crash again because his palms are sweaty, porte and tao panick and attack to save the tour but by that time pog is in the finish in front of roglic...padun wins the stage by 7 minutes

I have no idea if you knew this but procyclinstats lets you check how many riders from Antarctica are on the Tour de France startlist.
Thanks, I don’t think I could enjoy watching the Tour without that key info! ;) :)

Been watching a lot of old tours in anticipation for this years, the yt account "Classic cycling" has loads of 3/4 hour highlight packages from all the old races. This one is still my favourite, as it was then, the roar of the crowd on Ax3 as they see Ulle emerging ahead of Armstrong is special.

No helmets and sunglasses on the final ascents :hearteyecat:

I know they'll never bring it back, but...man, Ullrich's red hair and hollow eyes add so much color and character to the whole thing.

I just realised why riders such as Ullrich and Kloden were never interested in the Giro....they were already wearing pink :)
And a lovely shade of pink it was. Our baseball stadium in Seattle was rebranded as T-Mobile Park, and has puck neon trim around the roofline and scoreboards—but I don’t think they have the color quite right compared to those T-Mobile kits.

And a lovely shade of pink it was. Our baseball stadium in Seattle was rebranded as T-Mobile Park, and has puck neon trim around the roofline and scoreboards—but I don’t think they have the color quite right compared to those T-Mobile kits.

I have one of those jerseys. I think it's officially Telekom. If only I looked as good as Klodi whilst wearing it!

TRENDING THREADS