• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021 - Enthusiastic laymen's thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which team has the winner of the Tour de France 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought the prevailing wisdom last year was that JV were setting a false pace for Roglic, so that he could survive the long climbs and still be able to sprint at the end. If that's the case, then seems logical for Ineos to set a strong pace and see how that affects Roglic.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
What date is the deadline for team announcements?

The startlist for each team can be modified until the sports director meeting the friday before the race.

But there is a team presentation + medical checks already earlier during the week teams generally announce their TdF squads at least a couple days in advance. Most if not all teams will have announced them by next monday.

The strongest team can get worked over if its done properly. Sky in 2013 were freakystrong, yet the other teams managed to get Froome by himself for nearly a full stage. He was just too strong to do anything with it.
Sky freakystrong in 2013? Wrong, froome just had porte to help in the mountains. The second best man was pete kenaugh.... sky was really strong in 2012,2016, 2017.

Harsh on Mas.

Yeah, I guess I'm always harsh on Mas. Sorry. :( But then, what has he shown this season to count him among the favourites? He's a more steady time trialer than Lopez, but at least Lopez is someone who might really challenge Pogacar and the best on the climbs, maybe even outclimb them. Mas... hm. No, really, unless he really ups his level from everything I've seen from him this season, I consider him an outsider. I'd give him a :candy:.

What does that even mean?

Isn't that self-explanatory? ;)
(I thought maybe some are not okay with giving all these sugars to high-performing athletes. https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-billions-wiped-off-drink-giants-market-value)

Reactions: Lui98
Sky freakystrong in 2013? Wrong, froome just had porte to help in the mountains. The second best man was pete kenaugh.... sky was really strong in 2012,2016, 2017.
Their team sucked compared to every other team they have had in their dominant years, but it didnt really matter when Kennaugh and Kiri were good enough to push out a decent tempo and you have the 2-4th climber in Porte and Froome who by far was the best. Which goes to show that depth, at least in many instances, are kinda overrated as long as you have 1 or 2 really great mountain domestiques. If the rest can grab some water, keep the leaders out of trouble and do some decent turns now and then its guchi

Yeah, I guess I'm always harsh on Mas. Sorry. :( But then, what has he shown this season to count him among the favourites? He's a more steady time trialer than Lopez, but at least Lopez is someone who might really challenge Pogacar and the best on the climbs, maybe even outclimb them. Mas... hm. No, really, unless he really ups his level from everything I've seen from him this season, I consider him an outsider. I'd give him a :candy:.

Mas is a weird one, very average in all thee build up races but then ends up climbing with the best in the mountain stages at grand tours. Like Uran, he has never been this good in the warm up races before.

I thought the prevailing wisdom last year was that JV were setting a false pace for Roglic, so that he could survive the long climbs and still be able to sprint at the end. If that's the case, then seems logical for Ineos to set a strong pace and see how that affects Roglic.
Like Col de la Loze? Or Peyresourde where his entire team burned out setting the pace?

I don’t think it's a very wise take on what was happening last year ;)

Right, right, but I don't think, he has anything against sugar, as long as it's supplied by a company that pays him money
I also immediately thought sugar has nothing to do with it. It’s the fact they don’t pay him any money. Same reason Michael Jordan covered Reebok logo on his sweatshirt with American flag during the olympics. I actually find that unacceptable and the organisers should sue these athletes for commercial damage… sorry for being way off-topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: cellardoor
I also immediately thought sugar has nothing to do with it. It’s the fact they don’t pay him any money. Same reason Michael Jordan covered Reebok logo on his sweatshirt with American flag during the olympics. I actually find that unacceptable and the organisers should sue these athletes for commercial damage… sorry for being way off-topic.

But at the same time Coca-Cola got huge publicity from that one viral video. There will be no harm from that video, only huge profit. Probably way more than with any other deliberate commercial stunt. They should probably send couple of millions to Ronaldo, as thank you :D.

TRENDING THREADS