• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2021 route rumors

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
860_fb-tour-de-france-2021-le-parcours-probable-23-10-2020-def-01.webp

If that is the route it reminds me of the routes that we had during the 2000s. I find it good to see the two time trials back but mountains coming only at the 8th stage will mean a boring 1st week.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I kinda like the oldschool approach of splitting the pyrenees stages between the penultimate weekend and the third week, going northwards after the pyrenees and having a final TT before the stage 21 parade. We haven't really had that since 2012 (The number 2012 standing there also tells you that this isn't necessarily the formula for a great route) and I'm kinda looking forward to having that again.

Generally it looks kinda meh though. The Alps actually look pretty abysmal. The Le Grand Bornard stage will most likely again suffer from being the first mountain stage and just like in 2018 lead to very disappointing racing...which is a shame. Romme-Colombier is such a great combination but it would be so much better coming before a rest day, or at least not before the first mtf. Then of course that mtf has to be Tignes... Let's just say, the way it was intended to be used in 2019 was the only acceptable way for Tignes ever to be used. This way it's probably the worst mtf you could possibly find. It's basically Montevergine but with people actually expecting something to happen there.

My personal highlight, or at least the thing I'm most curious about is the Ventoux descent finish. I wanted to see Ventoux used as a pass for years and I didn't actually expect it to happen any time soon, so yeah this is a pleasent surprise. I just hope it will deliver. Also, as the start of the stage seems to be so close to the finish, any chance for double Ventoux? That would be really awesome.

The pyrenees, well we'll have to see. A lot depends on the stage design. You could do a lot of very awesome things with the Andorra stage but unfortunately for every good climb you could use there you have two horrible mtf's they could also use. I'm not up to date what climbs are rumored, but I just hope for no endless 6% grindfests. Col de Portet is an absolute monster, and as the steep gradients come earlier I'm hoping for a bit more action than on the signature mtf of this year. Col de Bagargui is still a surprise to me. But I'm not gonna complain. There is actually an underused region in the French pyrenees and they use it so that's cool. Just really curious what climbs are gonna preceed it.

I'm also kinda surprised about the big comeback of the TT. Might they try to lure a certain Remco E. to France? Aside from that, Rolic should on paper be the biggest winner of this, but then one of the TT's comes on stage 20, which makes Pogacar the big winner? I have no idea.

I'd quite dislike a 50k flat time trial. I get the idea, the guys who lose loads of time have to attack but when you've got Jumbo or Ineos team strength, it doesn't work imo. Could be a Tour for Dumoulin to target and leave Roglic to go to the Giro
I feel like we're coming into a time where all the up-and-coming GC guys are going to be strong in the TT anyway; Dumoulin and Roglic of the older guys, Pogacar and Remco, obviously, but also Almeida now after the Giro might come into the reckoning, and guys like Pinot can put in a decent TT from time to time. Along with that, Alaphilippe showed last year that with the right course design, a strong classics rider with good bike handling skills can win an ITT stage, so surely someone like Hirschi can get up there.

I'd never want to go back to the days of "Indurain wins the TT by 3 minutes, so Indurain wins the Tour no matter what anyone else does," but at the same time just one TT of 40kms or less doesn't make a true TdF to me.

Carcassonne Quillan is about 50km by road. Pretty odd stage for a Saturday

Oh, BSM to Valence is also a pretty long stage. Good thing it's after a rest day so probably there will be no complaints, because the transfer after looks to be on the long side

Last edited:
This looks pretty promising. I nearly jizzed in my pants when I read about a likely 50 km ITT.

On other matters, I hope that stage 8 to Le Grand Bornand is long and hard, with stage 9 to Tignes not being too difficult so that we can see reasonable gc racing on both days. And is stage 10 also potentially mountainous?

Ventoux with descent, nice. And looks like there will be at least a couple of good stages in the Pyrenees. Andorra can be raced hard coming before the rest day, so long as there are enough proper mountains throughout it.

Two proper ITT's with at least a few proper high multi mountain stages; things are looking up.

No Pau, that's weird.. And they were talking about Luz Ardiden too. Probably not 100 % right?

Probably because it says probable route for the Tour. :p So also only collecting rumors like Velowire. They are almost identical. Big difference is the stage to Luz Ardiden (Velowire) or to Iraty (Francebleu).

Give me 32km hilly in week one and 40km pan flat at the end.

Also not bringing Roglic is nonsense.

The Saint-Émilion should be undulating. It was back in 1996 and it's impossible to not make it that way. Well back then it was 64k long and Jan Ullrich beat the likes of Indurain wearing a cap, while everyone else put on an aero helmet. Nice 75 minutes of time trial. Bringt that back please. Not every year, but from time to time.

A remark on the time trials...
Perfect moment to increase the amount.
Those supposed to benefit from it are yet to win the race, and those supposed to be put on the back foot have no use of defending the lesser placings (being winners) meaning they can go all out in the mountains.
And all major contenders are solid time trialists, btw.

There is 0% chance they do Iséran again before Tignes given what happened last year :p

What happened last year was a mudslide on the lower slopes of the ascent to Tignes, afaik. If they instead took the shortest route to Tignes over the dam, it wouldn't have been a problem (which btw is also the design I prefer).

With something like Madeleine from North early on I really wouldn't mind that stage.
This is the best somewhat realistic thing that I can come up if you go to Tignes from North, one of those short mountain stages that ASO seems to love sooo much:
https://www.cronoescalada.com/index.php/tracks/viewTour/667735/338999

Skip the first climb, and I think you are right.

I think Tignes is a great finish, also from the north. I just hope we won't get an anaemic design for that stage, even if I fear we will.

Tignes can be great but it would be due to the approach, and I doubt it'll be a great approach this year.

Meanwhile at first I saw Bourt st Maurice and thought it was another alpine stage but it's a stage start...

Looks like disastrous Alps, pretty vanilla Pyrenees with the mandatory 'innovation' with the Bargargui, etc. Won't be quite 2012 but it certainly looks aenemic in the current GT train landscape

The Céret to Andorra stage, it looks like it could contain some interesting cols (like Pailhères, an absolute beast), but then there's really only one way into Andorra, and that's via the Port de l'Envalira, which is high but very gradual and could nullify any action before.

The Céret to Andorra stage, it looks like it could contain some interesting cols (like Pailhères, an absolute beast), but then there's really only one way into Andorra, and that's via the Port de l'Envalira, which is high but very gradual and could nullify any action before.
Envalira is fine if you have a shorter steep climb like Beixalis and a downhill finish in Andorra la Vella after it (no idea how realistic that one would be).

TRENDING THREADS