• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour De France 2021, stage 1 (Brest-Landerneau, 197.8 km)

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looks like things are settling down a bit. What a blow it would be to this years edition if consequences of this stupidity would be more severe.

P.S. Tony took the fall again for Roglič. Just hope that he can recover as JV without Tony is just not the same JV. In addition i hope that beyond some road rash riders didn't get injured more severely.

Tbh, this is one of the few times I would think it's acceptable for the riders to just stop and refuse to ride/entertain until proper respect is given to their safety.

Hard to make that decision in the middle of the race. Or how to communicate that to everyone in the peloton.

It was a freakish accident.

And know they put information to everyone to stay at the side of the road. Not run with the cyclist and so on. People are unfortunately people though.

Looks like things are settling down a bit. What a blow it would be to this years edition if consequences of this stupidity would be more severe.

P.S. Tony took the fall again for Roglič. Just hope that he can recover as JV without Tony is just not the same JV. In addition i hope that beyond some road rash riders didn't get injured more severely.

Kuss was in bad shape also :(. Hard to win when your best guy for the flats and your best guy for the mountains gets injured in stage 1 :(

Hard to make that decision in the middle of the race. Or how to communicate that to everyone in the peloton.

And know they put information to everyone to stay at the side of the road. Not run with the cyclist and so on. People are unfortunately people though.
It was not a freakish accident it was someone being an idiot. Someone made a choice to step on to the road

They are but if some people can't behave, then I'd think it's fair that covid protocols become permanent and we ban fans from going along the side of the road. That's obviously terrible for the sport but it's better that than what just happened there.

There should be a severe punishment imo for that person and it being publicised widely in order to drum into idiots heads to not do that. Cyclists are more important to the race than fans at the side of the road. Do whatever it takes to protect them imo.

They are but if some people can't behave, then I'd think it's fair that covid protocols become permanent and we ban fans from going along the side of the road. That's obviously terrible for the sport but it's better that than what just happened there.

There should be a severe punishment imo for that person and it being publicised widely in order to drum into idiots heads to not do that. Cyclists are more important to the race than fans at the side of the road. Do whatever it takes to protect them imo.

Ok, wasnt even talking about this though. I was on the race. If you had a bigger point you could have just made a post about that and not quoted me.

Yeah, someone was not paying attention and caused a major crash.

Hence me saying it was a freakish accident.

Im gonna not argue with you because you dont agree with how I worded it, because we agree with each other.
But this is like when a car speeds illegally and hits a bicycle and the police and media call it an "accident". Its not an accident