• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour De France 2021, stage 1 (Brest-Landerneau, 197.8 km)

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Better for her and society would be a moderate pecuniary fine, coupled with x amount of hours of social work and, perhaps, for the cycling industry, having to assume the thankless task (unpaid of course) of spokeswoman for proper roadside fan conduct.

I don't know how the spectators are informed prior to the race. I would assume that they don't get any information. So they can only be punished for doing things that are conflicting with traffic rules and standard law. Does the woman do anything wrong in that respect? I'm not sure. If the riders had been ordinary cyclists or drivers, they would have been expected to see what was ahead of them. And since the woman didn't move out right in front of the riders, but rather seems to be standing there for several seconds, I don't see how her behaviour can be seen as more than just unwise.

So would that change, if these people knew, that standing in the road to promote themselves on TV, while endangering the riders, would result in a lawsuit or criminal charges?

It's a possibility! But I think the organizers would then need to provide quite extensive information on location and in other ways to ensure that the spectators know about special guidelines concerning the race. As it is know, you can't punish spectators for doing things that they could legally be doing in ordinary traffic (where standing inside the edge of the road and even standing with a sign is allowed).