• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 11: Sorgues – Malaucène, 198.9 km

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I just hope at next year's Tour we see a full-fitness Bernal, vs a full-fitness Pogacar, with a few others like Vingegaard, Almeida, Roglic et al thrown in. And obviously the dream is for Pinot to beat them all.

I picked one example. Bernal was dominant in every climb of the 3rd week - not just the Iseran although that claim should leave you in no doubt of his "ceiling". The following day to Val Thorens it was JA who collapsed. Not Bernal. Okay, maybe not 100%, just 99% for certain. I am not going to speculate what will happen against Pogacar and others I am only commenting about the 2019 TdF.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I picked one example. Bernal was dominant in every climb of the 3rd week - not just the Iseran although that claim should leave you in no doubt of his "ceiling". The following day to Val Thorens it was JA who collapsed. Not Bernal. Okay, maybe not 100%, just 99% for certain. I am not going to speculate what will happen against Pogacar and others I am only commenting about the 2019 TdF.
Hey! I picked the example.

Bernal took seconds from the rest in the final week. We never saw him put a minute+ into the field a la Froome to Ax3 or Pierre St Martin or Ventoux. The Giro this year is the closest we've come to seeing Bernal off-the-leash.

Tignes in 2019 was an opportunity for him to go all-in, but for circumstances out of even Ineos' control, it didn't happen.

different timing . Armstrong an Pantani were timed for the full 21.5km.

Yes I believe the time referred to was the last 15.6km (taken from St Esteve?) and compares to the historical times in this manner;

Favourable wind direction in the open road was referred to earlier, I also believe they have tarmacked the road quite heavily which will have helped, although it has to be viewed in the context of being the second huge climb of the day.

Reactions: Sandisfan
That's it for Mas his podium pedigree.
A pity Vingegaard didn't connect with the Trek riders on the top.
Maybe try attacking further down the mountain next time. Not just a safe attack a minutes from the top.
With 20/20 hindsight he may have only needed to jump away 400 meters earlier because at the rate he was closing he may have been in sight of them on the decent and he seemed to crest faster than the other two as they had been in the break the whole day. It might have been enough for him to join them and tell them he would help and he wouldn't contest the sprint to the line which as we have seen he wouldn't have beat them anyway as his sprint ins't the best. Although Pogi, Uran and would have probably climbed faster to the top. This is of course just speculation and he may not have had the energy to keep the speed needed for that extra 400 meters and even 400 may not have been enough.

Reactions: Carols

TRENDING THREADS