• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 11: Sorgues – Malaucène, 198.9 km

Time for the hardest climb, and possibly the hardest stage, of the race. Pretty hyped for this one, how often do you see Ventoux being descended?
Stage 11: Sorgues – Malaucène, 198.9 km
Arguably the queen stage, also depending on whether any stage deserves the moniker this year. It’s a shame that the Bedoin side of the Ventoux isn’t being used twice to make this an actual queen stage, but the descent finish means we should still have 40 kilometers of action.

Map and profile
fb9d3

316f2

Route details
The first 30 kilometers of the stage are the easiest by some margin, the 40 kilometers after it are hilly and start with the first climb of the day, Côte de Fontaine-de-Vaucluse.

cote-de-fontaine-de-vaucluse.png

After an uncategorised bump, there’s a descent which precedes a false flat up to the intermediate sprint.

f52p2wx.jpg

Immediately after this, the next climb, Côte de Gordes, starts. It’s the profile below as far as the eponymous village at 5.8k.

TroisTermesS.gif

A number of uncategorised climbs and a false flat lead us to the first longer climb of the day, the Col de la Liguière. This is something of a transition from the hills before to the Ventoux itself. By the time the profile below (and with it the categorisation) starts, the false flat has already started to give way with a kilometer at about 5% heading into the village.

LiguiereS.gif

The climb is lopsided enough for the descent to be little more than a false flat into Sault, where there’s the final 1.1 kilometers of the profile below before Mont Ventoux can be tackled.

sault-la-loge.png

The Sault side of Mont Ventoux is obviously by far the easiest, but the part past Châlet Reynard, which is identical to the classic Bédoin side, should still do some damage.

VentouxE.gif

The descent takes us into Malaucène, but there’s no passage of the finish line. Instead, just after the flamme rouge, we head south through the easy, uncategorised Col de la Madeleine (not that one) to reach Bédoin.

Madeleine2W.gif

The classic side of Mont Ventoux requires no introduction. All the tales there are to tell will doubtlessly be repeated by the commentators on either ascent. Even so, this will be the first time since 2013 that it’s climbed in full by a stage race.

VentouxS.gif

All that’s left is the same descent, with the same narrow first 6 kilometers preceding the wide road from the ski lifts at Mont-Serein, that continues all the way until just past the flamme rouge.

Final kilometers
If there’s any sort of sprint for the stage win, positioning will matter with a roundabout at 300 and a right-hander (albeit not at 90 degrees) at 130 meters to go.

UEv3NMl.jpg

GCXY1ta.jpg

Not gonna lie

I don't think Cav making the time limit is a given.
It will be close. He should try getting in the breakaway so he has more leeway. Quickstep will be flying down the descents. The other saving grace is too big of a group OTL and the way the Tour is going that is possible. Would almost certainly nuke his green chances but rather that and stay in the race.

Pogacar to win the stage in a 4 man group.

Reactions: CJCycling
Pogacar should want to win this, right? Like, he doesn't have a road stage yet and this looks like by far the most prestigious stage win you could get this Tour. I'm hoping UAE will try to control the break.

Also I gotta say, as weird as it will be to see the Ventoux descended, it's just as weird as seeing serious mountains prior to the final ascent of a Ventoux stage.

Pogacar should want to win this, right? Like, he doesn't have a road stage yet and this looks like by far the most prestigious stage win you could get this Tour. I'm hoping UAE will try to control the break.

Also I gotta say, as weird as it will be to see the Ventoux descended, it's just as weird as seeing serious mountains prior to the final ascent of a Ventoux stage.

I think you are right but I think Pogacar will follow wheels until the last km and see what happens. If there isn't anyone off the front he will go for the stage win. The way Pog is riding he can do that and still conserve energy. But the descent will be crazy. I hope we get to see the speeds.

Reactions: Big Doopie
I know what you mean, but I'm tending towards gimmick. Not a fan of the Ventoux descent finish.
We’ve 3 other summit finishes this Tour (not counting stages 1 and 2). I’m a fan of bike racing in the mountains being about getting down a mountain just as much as it is about getting up.

I think it’s great that they’re using the Ventoux in a way other than ___/.

TRENDING THREADS