• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 17: Muret – Saint-Lary-Soulan Col du Portet, 178.4 km

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So tell me again why it was Pogacar's responsibility to distance Urán?
Pogacar is the best in this Tour. By far. He has ridiculed all riders including Jonas, Richie and Rigo. Pogacar is going for the stage at this point and put more time to his rivals as his constant attacks on them showed. Please tell me given these circumstances why is the responsibility of Vingegaard and Carapaz to work for Pogacar? Maybe Carapaz had even more responsibility than Vingegard since he is the weakest in the TT among the three. But Vingegard had no reason other than being a "good dog" to Pogacar. My 2 cents. I saw it and the commentators saw it as well. They commented on it. Eventually Vingegaard stopped and Pogacar had to do it all by himself.

JV should have been doing something similar. He is almost assured of 2nd overall regardless of what happens (after Uran was dropped) but unlikely to win the stage while doing 40% of the work.
I kind of agree given his far superior TT abilities but I always lean towards the opinion that if you can gain time, don't hesitate ( especially in his position as a young rider). Who says that he doesn't have a bad day tomorrow and suddenly loses 2 minutes towards Uran. In that case he'd be happy to have worked with Pogacar and gain that +1,5 minutes instead of just 20-30 seconds if he wouldn't have done anything.

Well, a podium is a better result for Vingegaard (who despite being a Tour debutante at 24 years old, at least to me surpringly already is in his 3rd year in the WT), than it is for Carapaz.

It would be a real boost for him, and he could probably rightfully cash in on that on his next contract.

Was talking about Vingegaard winning the stage ...his competition for the stage
when he was telling all to Pogacar he had already got his podium more secure

Reactions: spalco
Pogacar is the best in this Tour. By far. He has ridiculed all riders including Jonas, Richie and Rigo. Pogacar is going for the stage at this point and put more time to his rivals as his constant attacks on them showed. Please tell me given these circumstances why is the responsibility of Vingegaard and Carapaz to work for Pogacar? Maybe Carapaz had even more responsibility than Vingegard since he is the weakest in the TT among the three. But Vingegard had no reason other than being a "good dog" to Pogacar. My 2 cents. I saw it and the commentators saw it as well. They commented on it. Eventually Vingegaard stopped and Pogacar had to do it all by himself.
Thank god all riders dont have that mindset, then mountain stages would have been extremely dull. Stop-and-go and no time gaps.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Vingegaard to me seems a bit deferential towards Pogacar who has now taken over the mantle of the current king of the peloton. He had no need to pull after UAE were clearly riding all day to set up the stage win for Pogacar. When Pogacar attacked the onus was on him to ride both Vingegaard & Carapaz off his wheel but Vingegaard naively started pulling for him. Perhaps he was just hoping to protect his second place and put more time into the pursuers but he still could have done this by allowing Pogacar to take a longer pull before attacking further up the mountain and give himself the best possible opportunity of winning the stage.
I noticed that too. He wants to be in good terms with him, like I don't want to make you mad. Please let's ride together.

Vinegaard did too much work and when Carapaz attacked he was caught out temporarily but he fought back well. Still at this point they are the three best climbers in the race and I don't see that changing tomorrow. Uran's podium chances look a lot slimmer now and a top 5 or 6 finish for O'Connor would be big for him and his team in his first Tour.

Vingegaard was so innocent, he didn't needed to work in the group, it was carapaz who needed to work, because he is the weakest on the itt between him, vingegaard and Uran.
Fortunately carapaz didn't won the end, he wouldn't deserve the victory. Ridiculous tactic by carapaz.
Kudos for vingegaard, what an amazing talent.

Yeah, he played it smart and rode at his own pace.
Sepp Kuss is still world class at playing possum, always looking great until he gets dropped.
Carapaz did what he had to do to win the stage, a single big attack near the end, but it didn't work.
Vingegaard looks a bit like the lovechild of Rasmussen and Horner. ;)
All is right with the world.

Enric Mas continues to be the new Carlos Sastre
Sepp Kuss getting dropped while wearing his best Monday morning commute face remains the best sight in cycling
Pogačar is still the strongest
Eurosport finds a way to make Ineos the primary subject of discussion regardless of outcome
Urán continues to hold a high GC place despite nobody, not even Jonathan Vaughters, being able to say for certain that they've seen him in the race, despite him wearing luminous pink

Sepp Kuss getting dropped while wearing his best Monday morning commute face remains the best sight in cycling
Eurosport finds a way to make Ineos the primary subject of discussion regardless of outcome
Urán continues to hold a high GC place despite nobody, not even Jonathan Vaughters, being able to say for certain that they've seen him in the race, despite him wearing luminous pink
Yes the pink definitely helps to spot Uran. Contador had a huge opinion of Mas a few seasons ago. Wonder what he thinks now ? Still Pogacar wasn't even on the radar then.

• Wow

Team's doc must have warned him that he'd die on the spot if his heartbeat goes over 170.
That or he's acting much better than Carapaz.

• Haha

TRENDING THREADS