• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 18: Pau – Luz Ardiden, 129.7 km

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GC
Clipboard.jpg

Tbh I doubt this would have played out much differently, these 3 guys knew they were the best, the GC is settled with Urán out of the picture more or less so it would always be a waiting game
There are more than 3 riders in the race. Maybe we would have had a proper breakaway with Soulor in the beginning, and different plausible scenarios for how Tourmalet and Luz-Ardiden would have been raced. Even the crappy 2011 stage had far more racing than this.

On the other hand people got mad when a rando breakway guy would win the KOM and not a top star.

I do think the massive discrepancy in a HC MTF is silly, though.

Yes, I think winning 2HC finishes should not be an equivalent of winning 8 1st cat passes.

Additionally, a rider winning all passes on stages 14-18 would get 117 points, while winning 2 MTFs give 80.

Seems not quite balanced.

All it takes is DQS to sabotage the breakaway for the green jersey and time limit for Pogacar to win KoM jersey.

It's not like there was anything any rider could to today to let the breakaway win, there was 0 shot at that.

Maybe you can argue the KoM hunters weren't good enough, or that O'Connor should've gone for the KoM, but whatever.
Think O'Connor will be happy with 5th or 6th. The KOM also highlighted the demise of Quintana. He's a shadow of what he was four years ago.

Tbh I doubt this would have played out much differently, these 3 guys knew they were the best, the GC is settled with Urán out of the picture more or less so it would always be a waiting game
The biggest problem wasn't the gap to Pogacar, it was that P2 and P3 were within seconds of each other. In that situation they were always going to sit on and hope for a decisive kick at the end.

There are more than 3 riders in the race. Maybe we would have had a proper breakaway with Soulor in the beginning, and different plausible scenarios for how Tourmalet and Luz-Ardiden would have been raced. Even the crappy 2011 stage had far more racing than this.
Right, im strictly speaking of the climb to Luz Ardiden. Of course it would have been a better stage to watch from the start if it was longer and there were more climbs etc., but I didnt watch the start today. My point just was that after yesterday, I kinda expected Luz Ardiden to go down like this - Vingegaard defensive, Carapaz trying some miracle shot at the end (didnt have enough) and Pogacar trying to win the stage. No need to go from afar today after yday.

This, that has bothered me the most with the mountain stages with a flat start: the pack fodder breakaways (climbing wise) with no chance at all.

Agree. But then again - Pogačar is the best climber of this tour, isn't he?
yeah people always say that but then why dont you just scrap the entire point system all together. And make a jury decide the winner. Then the jury can vote for Cavendish as the best sprinter. Pogacar the best climber. Obviously that would suck so the argument of who is the best sprinter or climber is not relevant. The jerseys should be handed out to the people who are really going for the jerseys, not some gc guy who accidentally takes it......All the category 3 and 2 climbpoints are almost totally irrelevant now. Very broken system....

TRENDING THREADS