• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 8: Oyonnax – Le Grand-Bornand, 150.8 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I am worried because I am optimistic. It feels like after yesterday there's so many good ways this could play out.

Bora could put the heat on from the get go to try make the Green Jersey a contest.
Another really strong break could get away that dares UAE to chase them.
Other teams can animate from a long way out with suitable terrain
There are riders (Carapaz) who will surely attack

Can't wait to see the way it all disappoints :disrelieved:

I am worried because I am optimistic. It feels like after yesterday there's so many good ways this could play out.

Bora could put the heat on from the get go to try make the Green Jersey a contest.

Come on man, don't go all Red Rick on us.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

It is all about a) who is in the break and b) what will Ineos do in the peloton. If we get mediocre break without GC threads and/or WVA/MVDP/JA, and Ineos decides this is too early to burn lot of matches (other than late attacks), we might be up for borefest of Saturday.

images from VDP's hotel room last night
5fbwpi.png

I think Lotto Jumbo will ride the stage conservatively to maintain a pace high enough to drop Van Der Poel and maintain Van Aart in the leaders group to seize yellow. If he survives the next 2 days he can recover a bit and his no GC story becomes a bluff.

A break will fight for the stage and nothing will happen in the GC because both Jumbo and UAE are happy with a moderate pace to maintain a break at a reasonable time difference.

May 9, 2021
Visit site
I think Lotto Jumbo will ride the stage conservatively to maintain a pace high enough to drop Van Der Poel and maintain Van Aart in the leaders group to seize yellow. If he survives the next 2 days he can recover a bit and his no GC story becomes a bluff.

A break will fight for the stage and nothing will happen in the GC because both Jumbo and UAE are happy with a moderate pace to maintain a break at a reasonable time difference.

This would be indeed ideal for both Jumbo and UAE but unlikely that Ineos will let that happen?

Come on man, don't go all Red Rick on us.
Remember when I said yesterday would be good, and then later I said it's probably just a breakaway win.

Me spidey senses are tingling once again.

I think a crazy break might just happen again, because realistically speaking everyone should be out to go to war against the UAE, but if the magical break does not happen, then I expect a relatively boring stage until the last few kms of the Colombiere.

TRENDING THREADS