• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 9: Cluses – Tignes, 144.9 km

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Every team are now gonna try throw an "O'Connor" into the breaks from here on in so I don't think this is over yet

Look at G Martin doing it every day lol. Was basically 4 mins back on the also rans before the weekend, now it's less than 2 mins from them and a podium spot.

Gaudu and Lutsenko might chance their luck at some point, UAE aren't going to chase down so why not.

Same for Bilbao and Cattaneo.

What's up with the "fignon84" hashtag? What does that mean?

Presumably in reference to the absolute domination that's going on. Not sure we'll see 10mins+ but it honestly looks like he could.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Look at G Martin doing it every day lol. Was basically 4 mins back on the also rans before the weekend, now it's less than 2 mins from them and a podium spot.

Gaudu and Lutsenko might chance their luck at some point, UAE aren't going to chase down so why not.

Same for Bilbao and Cattaneo.

Presumably in reference to the absolute domination that's going on. Not sure we'll see 10mins+ but it honestly looks like he could.

Ya, I feel the only person they'll definitely chase down immediately is Carapaz. Maybe Mas or Uran too would fall into that category (if they attacked) but I'd see them as more UAE just controlling the gap rather than an immediate response.

Sonny Colbrelli winning the green jersey would be beautiful.

For a sprinter to fight like that - and succeed - for third place on a 2000m alpine summit just to get green jersey points is incredible. He defeated Quintana, Higuita, Martin, Woods, Poels in a stage in the Alps with 5 categorised climbs - including a HC, and two Cat 1s. Magnificent.

Most riders don't even show that level of commitment for the yellow jersey.

Whatever about the weather, we will see if Sonny gets sunnier day by day.

For a sprinter to fight like that - and succeed - for third place on a 2000m alpine summit just to get green jersey points is incredible. He defeated Quintana, Higuita, Martin, Woods, Poels in a stage in the Alps with 5 categorised climbs - including a HC, and two Cat 1s. Magnificent.

Sadly the green jersey got completely rigged towards flat sprinters because they wanted to stop Sagan from winning.

o_O

Not sure if it's funnier if you're serious or taking the piss

I disagree. Carapaz has not impressed this Tour. He hasn’t put any time into Mas, Uran, Lutzenco (I’m sure I butchered that…sorry) on the mountain stages and got crushed in the ITT. Roglic has never concerned himself with Mas and co. They’re not on his level.
Things are very weird in this Tour. The race has been very aggressive and the weather horrendous. I think Rog is above Carapaz and Thomas is done. To me Thomas was done before the Tour anyway. So I am not changing my opinion after this Tour.

Reactions: Carols
Horrible attritional days racing but can't help thinking that for the second day running the GC group was too happy to huddle together and just get round, whilst others - some in inexplicably poor form - were happy to drop to the grupetto. Can't remember a tour like this.

It's a victory lap for Pog. Chapeau to O'Connor, Cattaneo and Colbrelli, and Nairo for giving it a go.

Jul 4, 2021
Visit site
I just finished watching the stage. I think Bahrain should adjust the schedule of Colbrelli for next year. Instead of going for the green jersey he should aim for the yellow jersey. With Padun at his side he should be really protected.
isn't Bahrain in Eastern Europe? (Baku was this week)
oh sorry I forgot they are run by a Slovenian...why not Colbrelli for yellow this year...still time

TRENDING THREADS