• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022 route rumors thread.

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is it such a pain in the bum?

Anyway, while I do like going Vosgues > Jura > Pyrenees > Alps, I do loathe both PDBF and AdH.

Anyone wanna bet there's gonna be Peyragudes as well?

Again, what is the problem with Alpe d'Huez? Apart from insane spectators?

It's four years since last time, so you can't even say it is overused recentlt.

I really don't get why one can harbour feelings for mountains (which are sure to produce good cycling) like some people on here do...

Last edited:
Again, what is the problem with Alpe d'Huez? Apart from insane spectators?

It's four years since last time, so you can't even say it is overused recentlt.

I really don't get why one can harbour feelings for mountains (which are sure to produce good cycling) like some people on here do...
The isolation from other climbs negating most of the potential actions before, + that it is very often the queen stage and focal points of the Alps meaning often the stages before get raced more passively so that riders can not attack before the final climb on the AdH stage. Also because too often AdH means we get Croix-de-Fer, which just isn't an exciting climb at all from the side they tend to take.

Now I'll admit we haven't seen it since 2018, which is good. It's objectively a pretty good HC climb, but not that special IMO, unlike Peyragudes which is objectively ****. PDBF I guess has a function but it's not like it's the only possible MTF in the Vosges and it's just extremely overused.

Especially the Alps have plenty of climbs or combination as good or better than AdH + Galibier/Croix de Fer that never see the light of day. Overall these climbs just represent a total lack of effort for me.

The other annoying thing is that Alpe d'Huez almost always comes at the end of a mountain block. With the exception of 2011, this tends to hamper action on the preceding stages. Much better to put it one stage earlier, preferably after Galibier, and then have stage 20 finish in Gap, Grenoble, Chambéry or surroundings for a non-blocking stage.

Planche is fine as a first week MTF to create some gaps, but overused and overhyped.
from what I've hearded it should be Alpes before Pyrenees.
There are rumours about a Granon MTF and Alpe d'Huez from the Sarenne sde, but I believeit when I see it...
ASO doesn't just use great, underused climbs that are already there, they prefer to pave a few extra steep kms on top of a fine climb and hype it as the hardest MTF ever, even if it's pretty clear that it's gonna be a waiting game.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Planche is fine as a first week MTF to create some gaps, but overused and overhyped.
from what I've hearded it should be Alpes before Pyrenees.
There are rumours about a Granon MTF and Alpe d'Huez from the Sarenne sde, but I believeit when I see it...
ASO doesn't just use great, underused climbs that are already there, they prefer to pave a few extra steep kms on top of a fine climb and hype it as the hardest MTF ever, even if it's pretty clear that it's gonna be a waiting game.
The speculation on Velowire that I read was (iirc) Briancon > Galibier > Croix de Fer > Alpe d'Huez/Sarenne by Villard-Reculas > Alpe d'Huez classic

TRENDING THREADS