• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022 route rumors thread.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hello all I can bring you all some various information from Le Grupetto where rumours are also being discussed:

Path of the race
Perhaps somewhat surprisingly, but now logically supported by booking info / reservations, it seems that for the first time in quite a few years that the Pyrenees will be after the Alps 2 years in a row. The general path looks to of course begin in Demark, with a transfer to the Hauts-de-France / Grand Est regions and a descent through the Vosges towards Switzerland/ Jura for a first rest-day. After this the Alps and usual transition stages such as Mende. Finally the Pyrenees and just recently news came out that the Lot department could be hosting the finale, with potential for a finish in Cahors before (yes another) final time trial, likely finishing at Rocamadour or in the surrounding area. https://www.ladepeche.fr/2021/08/30...urs-etapes-du-tour-de-france-2022-9758905.php

Composition
Of course we cannot say but the route looks like it will have less typical "high mountain" stages and more of the medium mountain sort. Of course that depends on how you characterize them, but we can imagine a stage in the Vosges as a potential early GC battle, with 2 stages or perhaps 3 in the Alps and the same being said for the Pyrenees. Current rumours would point to 5 proper mountain stages roughly therefore. There are also of course speculations about the return of Cobblestones.

Stage Finishes
First we come to the day after the first rest and a likely candidate is Lille for the start, with finishes possible in the usual Arenberg type format, or potentially we start first by heading towards Boulougne / Calais.
After that the race will likely head in a similar format south to previous years like 2014 / 2019, with Reims / Nancy. There is also potential for the race to go towards the Ardennes first before the Vosges. Among rumours for the Vosges, an unprecedented ascent up the Grand Ballon via Geishouse and the Col du Haag, making for a climb of roughly 12km at 7.5%. There was also a town in the general area of the Juras that declared candidacy due to a 200 year anniversary which I can't quite remember what it was, I have a feeling though it was Pontarlier and Bovet Fleurier or something of that sort. It may seem odd to have stop-over in Switzerland after a Danish grand depart but there have been quite a few substantial rumours about a stage starting in Arbois to finish for example in Lausanne, as well as a stage to Châtel.

Then there are the Alps, reservations seem to suggest finishes on the 13th July in the Briançon region (most notably the possibility of an arrival at the Granon) followed by an "unpublished configuration" of the Alpe d'Huez (I cannot find this article anywhere but it seems to suggest a finish similar to the Dauphine in 2017.) Here are some sample stages I made:

July 13th
rumours-2022-chambery-gt-col-du-granon.png

July 14th
2022-rumours-briancon-gt-alpe-dhuez.png

A start in Barcelonette / Ubaye for the second stage had been considered but it would not make sense if the Alpe d'Huez features to then climb all the way back up to where we were the day before just to also fit in the Vars pass for its 100th birthday (like the Izoard.)

After the Alps there is not a clear transition but a finish at Mende, most likely as usual at the Aerodrome, seems to have been drawn for the 16th (so a flat stage likely inbetween) https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/soc...accueillera-le-tour-de-france-2022-1626468783

After (or maybe just before) this a second day of rest, and Rodez is also a potential start town (most likely not finish.) For the Pyrenees, there aren't many rumours but here are the significant ones:

Plateau de Beille to make a return to the Tour - https://www.ladepeche.fr/2021/06/25/le-plateau-de-beille-au-menu-du-tour-de-france-2022-9629882.php

According to someone on Le Grupetto, the local authorities have announced the repaving of the Col de Spandelles, likely meaning a passage in 2022 or 2023. This could lead nicely to a descent finish in Lourdes / Argeles, or a short valley of only ~2km after the descent before arriving at a final climb to Hautacam.

There are also still rumours of Chalets d'Iraty, but this rumour seems to fit better with the 2023 start in the Basque Country.

Finally we have something I mentioned that was published recently, candidacy for Lot to host the final stages including a stage finish in Cahors and a time trial on the even of the Champs Elysees between Gouffre de Padirac (Community of Municipality of Grand Figeac) and Rocamadour (Cauvaldor).

For my part I am now going to present my personal route based partly on these rumours but also on my hopes!

1.) Copenhagen > Copenhagen (ITT)
2.) Roskilde > Nyborg (flat)
3.) Vejle > Sonderborg (flat)

4.) Calais > Arenberg Porte du Hainaut (cobblestones)
5.) Cambrai > Charleville-Mézières (hilly)
6.) Sedan > Nancy (flat)
7.) Gérardmer > La Planche des Belles Filles (mountain)
8.) Arbois > Lausanne (flat / hilly)
9.) Aigle > Châtel (medium mountain)

10.) Thonon > Aix-les-Bains (flat)
11.) Chambéry > Col du Granon (mountain)
12.) Briançon > Alpe d'Huez (mountain)
13.) Gap > Romans-sur-Isère (flat)
14.) Saint-Félicien > Mende (medium mountain)
15.) Rodez > Castres (hilly)

16.) Revel > Plateau de Beille (mountain)
17.) Foix > Lourdes (flat)
18.) Tarbes > Hautacam (mountain)
19.) Mirande > Cahors (hilly)
20.) Gouffre de Padirac > Rocamadour (ITT)
21.) Houilles > Paris Champs Elysees (flat)

In all seriousness I don't actually know which commune will host the final stage, for the final week I also see a possiblity for a stage starting or arriving in Luchon in between the two MTFs as that was rumoured, but I don't really know to be honest.

One of the thins I really noticed with this route is the lack of descent finishes, but that may be the case with stage 9 (after Corbier) and we cannot rule out a finish on stage 18 in valley either. Anyway, this would make sense after 2021, given the lack of summit finishes and the fact that those stages with summit finishes really led to most of the excitement barring stage 8.

Last edited:
All mountain stages ending uphill (even if this version of Alpe d'Huez finish is very different). Putting Grand Ballon only to finish at Planche des Belles Filles. Ugh. Hope it doesn't come to exactly that.

Not necessarily all ending uphill, the stage I listed at Hautacam could finish in Lourdes / Argeles and the sprint stage in between could in reality be another mountain stage, Granon stage could finish in the same finish as 2017 etc. Also its hard when it comes to deciding what source to trust with the Grand Ballon. On the one hand there are rumours of a new ascent. On the other there are PDBF rumours. And I can't really see them both in the same stage, even if Geradmer is quite close to the Grand Ballon. Maybe if there are multiple stages in the vosges there could be both? Either that or a random new climb that adds nothing to the race :disappointed:

I'll also take the time to list some climbs that are most likely appearing since the stage starts / finishes don't quite tell the whole story:
1.) Col de Bramont (PDBF stage)
2.) Grand Ballon (PDBF stage or other in Vosges)
3.) Pas de Morgins and / or Col du Corbier (stage to Châtel, its feasible they could loop around to do both as show here)
morgins.png

4.) Col du Galibier, and possibly Col du Granon on first mountain stage.
5.) Izoard, Lautaret, and Alpe d'Huez via the Sarenne the day after.
6.) Cote de la Croix Neuve for the usual Mende stage.
7.) Return of Port de Pailheres alongside Plateau de Beille.
8.) Aubisque / Spandelles final mountain stage.
9.) Rocamadour climb from Route d'Occitanie 2020 on the final TT.

Doesn't seem like much at first glance but they (ASO) look like they are aiming for less but harder mountain stages this year, not to mention I am obviously missing many cols that we can't say for sure will be en route, let alone those in stages that will look very different to what I propose.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Granon and Galibier to appeal to Bernal challenging the Slovenians? I'd like it.
Alpe d'Huez after 4 years is fine but too often the stage before the climb is very meh, so I hope they find a way to mix it up.
PDBF would be too early to have it again, I like medium mountain stages in the Vosges that are not purely breakaway but surely there are alternatives.
While I like stuff like Mendes I also worry that too many of these punchy finish stages will just hurt the GC picture too quickly with Pog and Rog just killing everyone on them. So I'd rather see some cobble or gravel creativity that can make things interesting.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Granon and Galibier to appeal to Bernal challenging the Slovenians? I'd like it.
Alpe d'Huez after 4 years is fine but too often the stage before the climb is very meh, so I hope they find a way to mix it up.
PDBF would be too early to have it again, I like medium mountain stages in the Vosges that are not purely breakaway but surely there are alternatives.
While I like stuff like Mendes I also worry that too many of these punchy finish stages will just hurt the GC picture too quickly with Pog and Rog just killing everyone on them. So I'd rather see some cobble or gravel creativity that can make things interesting.
When looking at the sort of route it is likely to be, the general theme is less high mountains and more stages that could be otherwise pivotal to GC such as the flat days in Denmark and the multiple rolling / medium mountain stages. Combine that with the high altitude on a couple and I think ASO are trying to make a race that brings team strength more importance (fighting through echelons and controlling lots of varied terrain stages) and gives other competitors more of a chance against Roglic / Pogacar (high elevation suits Bernal and co, not enough TT kilometres for Rog and Pog to gain absolute minutes on climbers, lots of stages outside the mountains where riders can put them under pressure.) However, I don't really see it working too well :D

Granon is brutal

Wish it could be used as a pass.:cry:.

I am once again willing to walk back my altitude overrated theory if Pogacar doesn't destroy Bernal there.
The guy who posted it on Twitter works for French Eurosport, so it sounds legit.
If we get Alpe d'Huez via Sarenne on the next day it's a great combination of proper mountain stages. I kinda expect ASO to pull one of those short mountain stages Briancon-AdH with only the Col du Lautaret before Sarenne...
I expect one of those 2 stages to feature the Galibier, Galibier-Granon is a nasty combination.
Granon is pretty much the Giau from the hard side, but 200m higher.

TRENDING THREADS