• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022 route rumors thread.

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Only three days until the crying begins. According to Velowire...

1 Kopenhagen › Kopenhagen 13km ITT
2 Roskilde › Nyborg 199km
3 Vejle › Sønderborg 182km

Transfer Day

4 Binche › Côte d’Opale/Cap Blanc-Nez/Calais
5 Dunkerque › Denain (cobbles)
6 Fourmies › Thionville
7 Tomblaine › La Planche des Belles Filles
8 Dole › Lausanne (CH)
9 Aigle (CH) › Châtel

Restday in Morzine

10 Morzine › Megève
11 Albertville › Col du Granon
12 Briançon › Alpe d'Huez
13 Le Bourg d'Oisan › Saint-Etienne
14 Saint-Etienne › Mende
15 Rodez › Carcassonne

Restday in Carcassonne

16 Carcassonne › ???
17 ??? › Peyragudes-Altiport
18 ??? › ???
19 ??? › ???
20 Lacapelle-Marival › Rocamadour ITT
21 Thoiry (ZooSafari de Thoiry) › Paris Champs-Elysées

There is still not much known about the pyrenees.

Transfer Day

6 Fourmies › Thionville
8 Dole › Lausanne (CH)
9 Aigle (CH) › Châtel

Restday in Morzine

10 Morzine › Megève
14 Saint-Etienne › Mende
15 Rodez › Carcassonne

Restday in Carcassonne

16 Carcassonne › ???
18 ??? › ???
19 ??? › ???

The best day of the year!

The Alps look very promising. Hopefully those stages are a decent length!!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Col de Granon would be great. Hopefullt at least via Granon. Could we also see Madeleine on that stage?

The rest seems uncertain and possibly "boring". Belle Filles again. Mende as the Massif Central finish. And Peyragudes/Peyresourde yet again. Alpe d'Huez from Briancon? What will this be? Lautaret followed by a double ascent of Huez like in 2013?

I believe ASO must have a strong "something" on La Planche and Mende. I can understand Mende as it's very unfortunately located. I believe the Hérault dep went ecological and wants no Tour barring maybe Béziers and Lodève/Gignac area? That's why recently normally bypassed Nîmes became new Montpellier. The problem is that Hérault is very long and 2020's Nîmes - Carcassonne stage might be for now the only non-Mende option. Mende is the only place in a quite vast area west of Cevennes that has any money to host a stage. In best scenario maybe the Sainte-Enimie Florac altiport on Causse Méjean could be a stage finish.

As for Pyrenees you can add in a Peyragudes finish, possibly from west after Aspin & Azet and Lourdes - Hautacam via Aubisque and Spandelles, which had been widened and resurfaced as it's now a departamental road. Apparently there are also some tweets about surfacing the access road between Spandelles and nearby Couraduque.

A Tour grand départ on a friday just seems wrong.
That's a normal procedure for far foreign starts. 3 stages in the country/region and a transfer day on Monday.

Would prefer that over the tired Bales option. It will be a light mountain stage anyway.

Peyragudes finish will be at the altiport for the second time. Same as the last time, in 2017 when Froome was dropped hard.
What's the difference between the 2012/2015 Vuelta and 2017 finishes?

Overall, it's not looking great, and especially the mountain stage pacing looks bad. I presume Megeves is supposed to be a mountain stage that's gonna get canceled by the presumed queen stage a day later. Briançon Alpe d'Huez should be alright and I'm not sure I prefer a double Alpe ascent from the backside.

Pyrenees are just gonna Pyrenees. There's like 3 templates for a Pyrenean stage and we're gonna get what we're gonna get. Bonus points for having a bad order there too with Foix before a cat 1 finish before a HC finish.

Transfer Day

6 Fourmies › Thionville
8 Dole › Lausanne (CH)
9 Aigle (CH) › Châtel

Restday in Morzine

10 Morzine › Megève
14 Saint-Etienne › Mende
15 Rodez › Carcassonne

Restday in Carcassonne

16 Carcassonne › ???
18 ??? › ???
19 ??? › ???

I'm not seeing reasons to cry, the route looks good.
But, yeah, people always complain of something.
Col du granon should be a reason to everyone be happy :tearsofjoy:

Where is this? Can't find it on google maps.
Coordinates: 44.28523194494701, 3.4636425792824292
West/southwest of Florac-Trois-Rivières, south/southeast of Sainte-Enimie. It's a big plain on the crossroads of D16 and D63, adjacent to the outer edges of the Cevennes NP. It's between the villages of Hures-la-Parade and Mas-Saint-Chély. It's like 10km out of quite famous in the Race Design Thread Col de Pierre Plate that's above Florac.

I forgot to mention there are some rumours about either a new approach of l'Alpe (most likely Sarenne) or a new run-in towards the classic l'Alpe. Some mention Col du Solude - the famous ridge road with a dirt section between Villard-Notre-Dame and Villard-Reymond on the other side of the valley. Said dirt may be resurfaced. For me the problem is that the climb is a narrow track hugging a cliffside (D219) and i'm not sure if it isn't just too tight and dangerous. The same probem is with other local cliffside tracks - Route de la Roche d'Auris (between La Garde and Auris-en-Oisans) and l'Alpe from Villard-Reculas. Considering the centenary of the first passage of Izoard it may end as Izoard > Lautaret > l'Alpe.
SoludeE.gif

What's the difference between the 2012/2015 Vuelta and 2017 finishes?

Overall, it's not looking great, and especially the mountain stage pacing looks bad. I presume Megeves is supposed to be a mountain stage that's gonna get canceled by the presumed queen stage a day later. Briançon Alpe d'Huez should be alright and I'm not sure I prefer a double Alpe ascent from the backside.

Pyrenees are just gonna Pyrenees. There's like 3 templates for a Pyrenean stage and we're gonna get what we're gonna get. Bonus points for having a bad order there too with Foix before a cat 1 finish before a HC finish.
I wouldn't know. I barely watch the Vuelta as I don't consider it to be worthy of a GT. Wish they'd organize one in Colombia instead.

The Megeve stage does look like an afterthought. Short steep MTF (altiport) or hilltop finish, if you will. Don't think they'll load that stage with climbs. But I wouldn't mind it if they did... to soften the legs a bit for the queen stage.

I wouldn't know. I barely watch the Vuelta as I don't consider it to be worthy of a GT. Wish they'd organize one in Colombia instead.
Are you serious? In the last decade it was often the best GT to watch.

The Megeve stage does look like an afterthought. Short steep MTF (altiport) or hilltop finish, if you will. Don't think they'll load that stage with climbs. But I wouldn't mind it if they did... to soften the legs a bit for the queen stage.
If they don't load with climbs then it's like a 90k run. I guess it may have Corbier(?), Les Gets, Colombiere (Romme?) and Aravis. It depends on the previous stage to Châtel.

Coordinates: 44.28523194494701, 3.4636425792824292
West/southwest of Florac-Trois-Rivières, south/southeast of Sainte-Enimie. It's a big plain on the crossroads of D16 and D63, adjacent to the outer edges of the Cevennes NP. It's between the villages of Hures-la-Parade and Mas-Saint-Chély. It's like 10km out of quite famous in the Race Design Thread Col de Pierre Plate that's above Florac.

I forgot to mention there are some rumours about either a new approach of l'Alpe (most likely Sarenne) or a new run-in towards the classic l'Alpe. Some mention Col du Solude - the famous ridge road with a dirt section between Villard-Notre-Dame and Villard-Reymond on the other side of the valley. Said dirt may be resurfaced. For me the problem is that the climb is a narrow track hugging a cliffside (D219) and i'm not sure if it isn't just too tight and dangerous. The same probem is with other local cliffside tracks - Route de la Roche d'Auris (between La Garde and Auris-en-Oisans) and l'Alpe from Villard-Reculas. Considering the centenary of the first passage of Izoard it may end as Izoard > Lautaret > l'Alpe.
SoludeE.gif
Is it this road?

Looks really cool with views on AdH in the distance

• Wow
Struggling to see redeeming aspects of what this route is shaping up to be. The first 6 stages will be a short TT, 2-4 flat sprints, 0-2 reduced sprints and a cobbles stage (would much prefer if they didn't put the cobbles before all the mountains for once), so no doubt half the GC field will have crashed out again before we get to yet another stale, MTF-centric, poorly paced set of mountain stages. At least Thursday will be fun on here...

Are you serious? In the last decade it was often the best GT to watch.
To each his own. I enjoyed the one Pogacar raced TBF. And the one Cobo won. But usually it's a bit of a snoozefest. I miss the air of importance. It almost seems like an afterthought to me.

If they don't load with climbs then it's like a 90k run. I guess it may have Corbier(?), Les Gets, Colombiere (Romme?) and Aravis. It depends on the previous stage to Châtel.
Good point. Could explain the rumor that the La Planche des BF stage really only has one climb (cat. 2 and up). Or maybe 2 if they include Chevreres.

They usually go out of their way to only have a certain number of 2nd, 1st and HC climbs.

Struggling to see redeeming aspects of what this route is shaping up to be. The first 6 stages will be a short TT, 2-4 flat sprints, 0-2 reduced sprints and a cobbles stage (would much prefer if they didn't put the cobbles before all the mountains for once), so no doubt half the GC field will have crashed out again before we get to yet another stale, MTF-centric, poorly paced set of mountain stages. At least Thursday will be fun on here...
Considering French geography i don't think it's possible to put cobbles after mountains unless you'll do unless you'll do some really weird ish with big transfers. Or you start from like Basue country and do the opposite of next year's route but i give exactly 0% chance of ASO ever doing this.

Considering the centenary of the first passage of Izoard it may end as Izoard > Lautaret > l'Alpe.
That would probably make sense, as otherwise I was struggling to come up with realistic routes that didn't have double Galibier, north in the Granon stage and south in the Alpe stage, with something akin to 2008's queen stage most likely for the latter. But then, if there was going to be double Galibier, I'd have expected it to turn up in rumours before now.

Considering French geography i don't think it's possible to put cobbles after mountains unless you'll do unless you'll do some really weird ish with big transfers. Or you start from like Basue country and do the opposite of next year's route but i give exactly 0% chance of ASO ever doing this.
What about sterrato? Is there somewhere in the southern part of France they could do some kind of sterrato stage?

• Wow
They could easily have Vosges before cobbles. They have done plenty of rest day transfers that would take care of where to go afterwards. Like in 2018.

You could do a similar transfer with the last rest day where the cobbles are on the penultimate Sunday. (Or even have the cobbles on stage 20)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts