• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Second rest day thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish with yellow in Paris?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There’s not nearly enough humor here for a rest-day thread, but at least we have one coffee-stop photo. I guess there’s some humor in folks continuing to debate who was stronger at the Dauphine and extrapolate that to projected performance the next two weeks.
We have two of the most important stages coming up midweek that will tell us a whole lot more where things really stand (e.g., has Roglic recovered decently from his crash or is he still just hanging on? does Pogacar really do worse in the heat? can Nairo put together 2 good climbing performances in a row? Can Powless really hang in and not drop gobs of time in the high mountains stages? will Climate-Justice Now end up being the closest stage finisher to Pogacar if he goes gonzo one of those days?). So definitely looking forward to possible answers to those and other questions even if the stages don’t pan out to be exciting as we would like. :)
p.s. More rest-day, roadside coffee-stop photos please. ;)
We have a thread entirely dedicated to coffee and a certain Danish midget. Facts are banned in this thread, and also there's no kool-aid drinking allowed. We've been problem free for a few months now, I put it down to the meticulous management.

Pog vs Vingo is 75/25 imo I hope the mano a mano delivers. Maybe Roglic can be a tactical nuke.

I dont belive in Thomas mounting a challenge
I think Thomas is riding for 3rd. But I see Thomas reflects my view about Pog which is why I find Vingegaard’s cocky claims since the Dauphine “interesting”. We will see Jonas.

But I wonder what Jumbo’s feeling within the team is - maybe they won’t support Roglic even if he finds his legs?

Last edited:
He got 2nd in Tirreno after Pogacar including in 2 stages. Only Itzulia was underwhelming
I mean, in T-A Vingo lost 35 seconds on a short TT and 1:03 on the main mountain stage to Pogacar and then was demolished by him Itzulia. Then he did look good in Dauphine, but I'm not sure how people saw that and thought, Yes, this guy is a better option than Roglic. And setting that aside, I would expect more from him at least in years looking ahead. He's new to the top, so maybe cut him some slack for this year.

Reactions: Cookster15
Super curious about the nutritional math of what looks like most riders, super low body fat, huge wattage output over multiple hours, and it's looking like liquid,counting gels as liquid,and bottle hand up to be the general on bike calorie replacement..How many calories are they calories are they consuming on the bike? And I am wondering what rest day meals are looking like? I am guessing that teams are not sitting around a table squeezing gels all day!! Can't see where these guys are storing. calories!!

You are wrong ! Guillaume Martin, who was send home saturday, declared that if the protocol of this testing had been applied saturday, he should not have left the Tour. No one who doesn't feel sick, and has a slight sore throat, will get tested anymore (or their team won't).
It was already suspected that various teams allowed their riders who were positive, but not sick, to continue cycling.

There is a chance that they will perform slightly less for a few days, only to be fully fit afterwards. This illegal attitude of some teams is now made legal by the new protocol of the UCI. Only the really sick riders will now disappear from the race. That is just like with any disease in the past.

I'll let you continue your fantasy that if a rider has an illness/sickness that teams will do NOTHING.

Super curious about the nutritional math of what looks like most riders, super low body fat, huge wattage output over multiple hours, and it's looking like liquid,counting gels as liquid,and bottle hand up to be the general on bike calorie replacement..How many calories are they calories are they consuming on the bike? And I am wondering what rest day meals are looking like? I am guessing that teams are not sitting around a table squeezing gels all day!! Can't see where these guys are storing. calories!!
I don’t know the stats, but in the early portion of stages you’ll see some riders are eating solid food before the race is really on. Probably depends on what each riders digestive tract can handle,

Watched Horners rest day recap (link). I usually enjoy his take (though I wish he would breath at least once) as a counter point to LRCP, but I thought it was not a little bit knuckleheaded to argue that Roglic's crash wouldn't have happened if Rohan Dennis was here instead of Van Aert.

Basically he's arguing that Jumbo will loose the tour due to Van Aert, and that they wouldn't have lost it if Dennis was here instead. I'm in the 39-seconds-won't-matter camp. But I also expect Van Aert to go into pure domestique mode no later than wednesday.

I mean, in T-A Vingo lost 35 seconds on a short TT and 1:03 on the main mountain stage to Pogacar and then was demolished by him Itzulia. Then he did look good in Dauphine, but I'm not sure how people saw that and thought, Yes, this guy is a better option than Roglic. And setting that aside, I would expect more from him at least in years looking ahead. He's new to the top, so maybe cut him some slack for this year.
Vingegaard is close to an out-and-out GT rider. Not quite to the extent of, say, a Carlos Sastre, but the spring doesn't really have these very hard stages and on top of that, the races are no more than 8 stages at best. He's first and foremost a climber, and basically gets better as the race goes on and the climbs get tougher. Its hard to win lots of races with such a profile, especially when youre going up against a generational talent like Pogacar which means you have to drop him, and not many riders have dropped Pogacar the past 2-3 years. Sure hes decently explosive as well, but only after harder stages - look at Longwy and him sprinting backwards. It gets more complicated by the fact that hes one day pedigree at the very moment is as good as Froome's and were probably looking, at best, at a Alberto Contador-level one day racer who maybe can fluke Liege. But right now, hes not good at these races.

Thats why Im so confident that he will give Pogacar a real run for his money as we now approach the high mountains, in the heat and with lots of attrition in the legs already. The stages themselves are perfect - tough days followed by some of the hardest MTFs the Alps can offer in Alpe d Huez and Col du Granon.

Watched Horners rest day recap (link). I usually enjoy his take (though I wish he would breath at least once) as a counter point to LRCP, but I thought it was not a little bit knuckleheaded to argue that Roglic's crash wouldn't have happened if Rohan Dennis was here instead of Van Aert.

It wouldn't have happened if a moto didn't hit a hay bale and send it into the road causing someone to fall in front of Roglic who then fell. How either Dennis or Van Aert or anyone but the moto driver could have prevented that is beyond me. But Horner is often in another level of existence than reality :)

I think Roglic will win this Tour. He only lost time in Arenberg, because he had to put back in his dislocated shoulder.

He should be the strongest climber in this race. Probably, his mountain shape is even a little bit better than in last year‘s Vuelta.

From tomorrow on, Primoz will be in his favourite Alpine mountains. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday will suit him very much. Plus, he has Jonas as a domestique. These two were unbeatable in the Dauphine, few weeks ago.
Roglic is a great rider than I like but he is not really a climber..he climb at the level of Carapaz, and this one was beated by Vingegard and Pogacar last year.
This year Roglic didnt show to climb more at Dauphine than Vingegard, but the oposite..and he was even worse than Vingegard at the ITT of le Tour, so the danish should be clearly stronger in the big mountains. And now with more reason with the crash of Roglic..A crash is always a problem in a race like this.

People love to say things like this, but what evidence of this is there? When has Pogacar, Bernal, Carapaz, Vingegaard dropped Roglic in the mountains?
Roglic is a great rider than I like but he is not really a climber..he climb at the level of Carapaz, and this one was beated by Vingegard and Pogacar last year.
This year Roglic didnt show to climb more at Dauphine than Vingegard, but the oposite..and he was even worse than Vingegard at the ITT of le Tour, so the danish should be clearly stronger in the big mountains. And now with more reason with the crash of Roglic..A crash is always a problem in a race like this.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Basically he's arguing that Jumbo will loose the tour due to Van Aert, and that they wouldn't have lost it if Dennis was here instead. I'm in the 39-seconds-won't-matter camp. But I also expect Van Aert to go into pure domestique mode no later than wednesday.

Sounds like Horner is having a bad day -- probably a lingering announcer's injury from the spring classics, or maybe a hydration issue.

Does anyone know if Rog does mountain biking or cyclocross? He came to the sport late, and I think he would benefit from either of those disciplines.

The strangest thing is that since Dennis dominated the 2020 Giro, he has never ridden a GT.

Reactions: Cookster15
Vingegaard is close to an out-and-out GT rider. Not quite to the extent of, say, a Carlos Sastre, but the spring doesn't really have these very hard stages and on top of that, the races are no more than 8 stages at best. He's first and foremost a climber, and basically gets better as the race goes on and the climbs get tougher. Its hard to win lots of races with such a profile, especially when youre going up against a generational talent like Pogacar which means you have to drop him, and not many riders have dropped Pogacar the past 2-3 years. Sure hes decently explosive as well, but only after harder stages - look at Longwy and him sprinting backwards. It gets more complicated by the fact that hes one day pedigree at the very moment is as good as Froome's and were probably looking, at best, at a Alberto Contador-level one day racer who maybe can fluke Liege. But right now, hes not good at these races.

Thats why Im so confident that he will give Pogacar a real run for his money as we now approach the high mountains, in the heat and with lots of attrition in the legs already. The stages themselves are perfect - tough days followed by some of the hardest MTFs the Alps can offer in Alpe d Huez and Col du Granon.
I think you underestimate Pogi and for Vingegaard you are hypothesising. If there is an unanswered question for Pogi it is high altitude. He was dropped by Roglic on a 2,400metre MTF on stage 17 of 2020 TdF. I think there are more unanswered questions for Vingegaard. We will see.