• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 14 (Saint-Étienne – Mende, 192.5k)

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It didn’t play out like I thought it would but entertaining regardless. Love the win for Matthew’s! His battle with Bettiol was great and he seemed close to cracking but all of a sudden boom, he was gone like a rocket. Fun stage. If you didn’t enjoy that you’re not a bike racing fan.

Reactions: Andy262
5k to go, so he'll make it. He's riding with a light concussion apparently, was given the green light.

That's a huge time limit tho. Obviously I'm happy that he's probably going to make it, but in what world should a time gap in a hilly stage be 50 minutes. Thats more than 10 minutes longer than in one of the Alp stages.

It was a super fast +3000 uphill meters stage. I honestly would have never expected such a stage to have a 42+ km/h average

Reactions: Sandisfan
He worked a lot for it to be honest. Poor guy got massive hate on the forum for ninja performances a couple of years ago, but I think he was just doing what he was best at. Now that he can't keep up with the strongest guys he changed his tactics, but every time he gave his absolute best, and like I previously said, he seems like a really nice person. I hope he can even get yellow today, but that looks very unlikely now.
Don't think it was hate. He was just stealthing his way into the top 10 or 20 like other riders have done before and it became a source of amusement for the forum.

Vingegaard didn’t even remotely look like being dropped, UAE must be worried now.
Maybe best bet would be to do what TJV done to Pog: make it really hard, isolate him, and continually attack from early on, in the hope the accumulation is enough to crack him.
I dont think thats repeatable . That tactic only worked cause Jumbo had Roglic as a joker . UAE dont have it , its all about Pogacar beating Vingegaard mano a mano or some genius ambush somewhere .

Jumbo certainly
Vingegaard didn’t even remotely look like being dropped, UAE must be worried now.
Maybe best bet would be to do what TJV done to Pog: make it really hard, isolate him, and continually attack from early on, in the hope the accumulation is enough to crack him.
UAE can attack four ways to Sunday.. Jonas Wingfarm just needs to concentrate on the champ Pogacar.
UAE lacks other GC contenders that are a threat to Jonas, as we saw with Roglic..

The biggest worry for Jumbo today. where how alone Jonas were at the final climb, and where Pogacar had 2 or 3 riders with him, until he opened up.
But Jonas looks strong as.. the way he just glued himself to Pogacar going all out.

Last edited: