• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 2 (Roskilde – Nyborg, 202.2k)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Cav vs Jakobsen thing is a pure hypothetical you can't really prove either way. Therefor I will just choose the arguments that fit my boy

So unless Jakobsen wins 4 stages and the green jersey then QS made a big mistake.

...i actually kinda like QS (and - god forbid! - even Lefevre) more because they neither included Cav (for sentimental reasons) nor Ala (for french hero reasons) at the expense of someone who is more in form. all about the team and look how they are being rewarded. after just two days they have basically already had a very successful TDF.

Not really. I said why not bring Cav too, and now I'm saying he could have won today, broken the record, and become a dom for FJ.

I guess a lot of sprinters could have won today in that case. Cav had plenty of chances at the Giro against a much weaker field and only managed one win so not sure why so many are sure he would have won today. What if he had been there and not won, are you just going to limit him to one chance only?? That would be both stupid and cruel with the record still on the line.

Fact is Cav had his chance last year and didn't take it, chose to remain at QS even though it was clear Jakobsen was to be the man this year. Last season he played roulette, had a load of luck and won big time, doubled down and has now missed out. Will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

FWsF0K9X0AEcyAg

FWsK2rFWQAYQ99f

FWsK2hKWAAEcm3R

I guess a lot of sprinters could have won today in that case. Cav had plenty of chances at the Giro against a much weaker field and only managed one win so not sure why so many are sure he would have won today. What if he had been there and not won, are you just going to limit him to one chance only?? That would be both stupid and cruel with the record still on the line.

Fact is Cav had his chance last year and didn't take it, chose to remain at QS even though it was clear Jakobsen was to be the man this year. Last season he played roulette, had a load of luck and won big time, doubled down and has now missed out. Will be interesting to see where it goes from here.
Poor reasoning at best. Was the Giro the peak of his form? You only have one scenario?! You can read the scenarios I posted before about how to navigate with both Cav and FJ.

Fact is Cav killed the TdF last year.

Reactions: Jumbo Visma Fan :)
Poor reasoning at best. Was the Giro the peak of his form? You only have one scenario?! You can read the scenarios I posted before about how to navigate with both Cav and FJ.

Fact is Cav killed the TdF last year.

So are you saying he was peaking for an event he was never slated to ride? Not very smart if so. Why is there are always excuses when Cav doesn't win, not in form, poor lead out etc, etc. There are no scenarios in which having Jakobsen/Cavendish on the same team makes sense. Simples.

Congratulations to Fabio Jakobsen for getting his life back.

It was a nice stage win and i must say that van Aert did a good sprint today too. A bit better then i expected. Great lead out and the whole JV was motivated through the race. As for the stage. The whole peloton being nervous through and through the race. Nielsen keeping us entertained, the whole country being at the sides of the road. Nairo being sent to the front. And then absolutely nothing. We got punked today. We could enjoy Kuss and his whistle song about the peloton through the whole bridge.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_-q9xeOgG4

After that the usual. Bunch (crash) sprint finale. Hope that no serious injures got involved.

I've written one post about this already but this topic annoys me enough to write a second one. It's incredible how everyone and his mother was hyped for that bridge when we have known for an entire day that there will be headwind on it. I don't want to listen to commentators for hours talking about the epicness that awaits when the evidence against it is right in front of their eyes. I know it's their job to make things more exciting than they are but in this case it felt like they were genuinely clueless.

It was scandalous. Making people excited about a race should never be at the cost of the truth. But I have no doubt that the media in this case deliberately ignored the facts and insisted on creating a hype.

The dominating wind directions at the Great Belt bridge don't favor attacks. Basically, a strong north-westernly wind - rare in summers - was the only thing that would have been interesting. The strength of the wind WAS okay on stage 2, but the direction was the common one, thus the wind ruined the chances of drama instead of creating them.

Everybody knew this! For many days, all indications were that there would be no sidewind. And yet the media - especially in Denmark - kept producing stories about the upcoming wind chaos on the Great Belt. Even during the transmission, the commentators talked about it. Although it was evident that the conditions for echelons weren't present. To put it bluntly: They lied to their readers and viewers.

So are you saying he was peaking for an event he was never slated to ride? Not very smart if so. Why is there are always excuses when Cav doesn't win, not in form, poor lead out etc, etc. There are no scenarios in which having Jakobsen/Cavendish on the same team makes sense. Simples.
I didn't say that, nor did I ever make an excuse. He won a stage at the GdI. What's not smart is to think that he wasn't training for the TdF. There are about 10 scenarios where having Cav and FJ is a good thing. Think beyond simple.

Why is there always hate for Cav, like last year when is was 'too old', and won 4 stages and the green jersey, but its silence from the haters then?

It was scandalous. Making people excited about a race should never be at the cost of the truth. But I have no doubt that the media in this case deliberately ignored the facts and insisted on creating a hype.

The dominating wind directions at the Great Belt bridge don't favor attacks. Basically, a strong north-westernly wind - rare in summers - was the only thing that would have been interesting. The strength of the wind WAS okay on stage 2, but the direction was the common one, thus the wind ruined the chances of drama instead of creating them.

Everybody knew this! For many days, all indications were that there would be no sidewind. And yet the media - especially in Denmark - kept producing stories about the upcoming wind chaos on the Great Belt. Even during the transmission, the commentators talked about it. Although it was evident that the conditions for echelons weren't present. To put it bluntly: They lied to their readers and viewers.

Prudhomme doesn't help matters by constantly looking for a special route, moment, risk or 'sauce' which can be used to sell his parcours. I mean this is the same man who had the riders line up at the start like they were on an F1 grid a few years ago. So we know what to expect in terms of overselling a product.

Transition stages should be about lovely countryside, a breakaway, intermediate sprints, polka points & the final sprint/catching the breakaway. If wind happens, cool, but no one can effectively predict or make echelons happen if the weather doesn't play ball.

Reactions: Danskebjerge
This must be one of those rare occassions where an average recreational cyclist would have been able to stay in the peloton for the last 20 kilometers of a Tour de France race ...
Lol check out Sepp Kuss' Strava file

Averaged 156W over the bridge. I can do that much, but he did about 4.5W/kg for 5 minutes on the uphill section, that's gonna be a big stretch for me.

• Wow
Reactions: Cookster15
I didn't say that, nor did I ever make an excuse. He won a stage at the GdI. What's not smart is to think that he wasn't training for the TdF. There are about 10 scenarios where having Cav and FJ is a good thing. Think beyond simple.

Why is there always hate for Cav, like last year when is was 'too old', and won 4 stages and the green jersey, but its silence from the haters then?

I thought last year was an amazing achievement and story and was so happy for Cav. But if you also look at last year's Tour Alpecin messed things up by not knowing what to do with Merlier and Philipsen and they thought better of it for this year's tour.
I think you just bring your fastest guy and build a team round him and Fabio is the faster right now.

Reactions: 42x16ss

Last year Cav got lucky with Alpecin persisting on trying to get Philipsen a win instead of just backing Merlier, Ewan crashing out and Groenewegan being persona non grata.

The hate? Apart from things like Haussler and the 2010 TDS, the degrading of Greipel (his teammate!) in the media, taunting Farrar, blaming teammates after a loss no matter how well he was led out, numerous dangerous sprints blamed on other people... no idea on that one.

Last edited:
I've posted for months the problem is Groenewegen's timidness between 3 and 1 kms to go - He won't follow his lead out train, and yet again there were 2 riders looking over their shoulder for him with 1km to go.
that's not a problem of months though. That dates all the way back to his Jumbo period as well. They tried setting up a train for him for years and the main problem was always Groenewegen losing the wheel of his own train. He's fast but not very good at keeping position

Reactions: Monte Serra

TRENDING THREADS