• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 3 (Vejle – Sønderborg, 182k)

Early thread because I'm away all day tomorrow to places without reliable internet (I'm heading into Germany).

The second sprint opportunity, but also the second echelon opportunity. There may not be an eye-catcher like the bridge on the previous stage, but the direction should be more favourable and the terrain onland seems a little more exposed this time – this might actually be the better day to blow up the race…

2bcfc

Map
f80f8

Route description
The stage starts from Vejle, traditionally the location of the queen stage in the Tour of Denmark. No Kiddesvej for this peloton, though, even though we pass its foot both in the neutralisation and at the bottom of the first categorised climb. Instead, we start with a loop through Jelling, the capital during the Viking era. The closest thing to a real hill that is used here is the uncategorised Hørupbakken.
horupbakken-hover.png
\

Upon returning to Vejle, it’s time for the first categorised climb of the stage, Côte de Koldingvej.
koldingvej-vejle.png

From here, the route mostly heads south on roads with exposed sections longer and more frequent than yesterday’s, and things pretty much stay that way most of the day. The picture below is at the end of an exposed section about 40 kilometres in, but really I could have posted ten similar-looking locations here.
bawXNfA.png

If no wind, the next two moments to stir us from our slumber will come almost halfway through the stage, at the Côte de Hejlsminde Strand…
hejlsmindebakken-hejlsminde.png

…and, more importantly, the intermediate sprint in Christiansfeld, a town on the Unesco World Heritage List for its well-preserved centre, built entirely by the Moravian Church.
fvwvSoA.jpg

WcyykUQ.jpg

The route keeps heading south towards the final categorised climb, Côte de Genner Strand. They really needen’t have bothered with the solitary KOM point here.
tour-de-france-2022-stage-3-climb-n3-6051875b2a.jpg

Indeed, the climb right before Aabenraa would have been the better option.
jorgensgard-skovvej-aabaek.png

The route heads east towards Sønderborg from here, passing by the summer residence of the Danish royal family – they really crammed in every bit of monarchy veneration they could into this Grand Départ.

Final kilometres
avi1EL7.jpg

rURnqrf.jpg

Not that much to say about this one. They enter town really early, at 10k to go, start by passing through the city centre (with some tight turns and urban cobbles), then head out onto the ringroad which is followed all the way until 800 metres from the line. There are traffic islands marked on the map at 2.9k to go, both sides are open but the right side is obviously the faster here.
SjxSgx8.jpg

This is the left-hander at 800 metres to go, as far as I can tell the traffic island will be removed. From here it’s pretty much a straight shot for the line, as I think the finish line is exactly at the point where the road starts to curve right rather than in that curve, unlike the previous stage. If not, it’s 50 metres of the road dragging right at most, it really shouldn’t have a big impact.
9NoD9sS.jpg

Sønderborg, the capital of the island of Als, doesn’t have the most exciting history, but its mainland suburb of Dybbøl was a battlefield in both Schleswig Wars, as Denmark and Prussia fought over historically Danish-controlled, but majority-German Schleswig-Holstein. The first time, Denmark won this battle, and ultimately the war. The second time, in 1864, the Prussians dealt what proved to be a decisive blow, and Denmark ceded all of Schleswig-Holstein. Following the First World War, Germany was forced to allow a referendum in majority-Danish Northern Schleswig, which voted decisively in favour of reunification with Denmark, though a small pro-German majority emerged in Sønderborg itself.
Christian_den_X%27s_Bro.Sonderburg.jpg

Following reunification, Denmark invested heavily in Southern Jutland/Northern Schleswig, this included the construction of this bridge in Sønderborg.

Cyclingnews and their clickbait headlines trying to start a damn war here, as if things weren't tetchy enough, I was about to get the league of nations on the phone.

24Q40Rb.jpeg

To add to this war. Last year Cav said Jakobsen will be at the tour next year so he allready knew for atleast a year that Jakobsen would go. Stop this nonsense please! :)
Jakobsen this year wins 11 out of 14 sprints. Cav is at 3 or 4 out of 13. It's a non-discussion.

Tomorrow Jakobsen wins again. Only challenge could come from Groenewegen or Ewan, but they need to be in position to challenge him.

Looks like such a boring and straightforward stage that serious things are bound to happen.

That‘s what I thought, too… In recent times, sometimes the (on paper) „boring stages“ developed to be the best stages.

The peloton today will consist of a 100% of riders who are still fresh, and who know a win today will bring them glory and much money in nearer future. I expect a nervous and motivated peloton.

Also for the ones like Pog, Rog or Vlasov, days like today‘s are not really easier than the „deciding“ mountain and TT stages. They still aren‘t allowed to be unconcentrated for even one second.

I also expect MVDP to try something in the finale. He races to win every time he starts a bike race.

Reactions: CyclistAbi

TRENDING THREADS