• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 3 (Vejle – Sønderborg, 182k)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aren't they called Flemish masters rather than Dutch masters?
The latter identity developed fairly later.

Ehhh, no. Not sure which masters you're referring to. But for instance Rembrandt is not called a Flemish master, as he was not from Flanders, but from Holland (born in Leiden, moved to Amsterdam). Earlier painters, primarily from the Southern Low Countries, are now usually grouped under Early Netherlandish painting, and were previously often referred to as the Flemish primitives.

In the Burgundian Netherlands of the 15th century Flanders was the most populous region, followed by Brabant. And these were also the places where famous artists like Jan van Eyck and Rogier van der Weyden were active. At that time Holland and other northern provinces were relative backwaters. That all changed during the 16th and 17th century, and hence the primary centres of artistic output also shifted northwards.

Ehhh, no. Not sure which masters you're referring to. But for instance Rembrandt is not called a Flemish master, as he was not from Flanders, but from Holland (born in Leiden, moved to Amsterdam). Earlier painters, primarily from the Southern Low Countries, are now usually grouped under Early Netherlandish painting, and were previously often referred to as the Flemish primitives.

In the Burgundian Netherlands of the 15th century Flanders was the most populous region, followed by Brabant. And these were also the places where famous artists like Jan van Eyck and Rogier van der Weyden were active. At that time Holland and other northern provinces were relative backwaters. That all changed during the 16th and 17th century, and hence the primary centres of artistic output also shifted northwards.
Obviously, I'm referring to the Flemish masters ;)

Alright, folks... Eyes wide open, fingers on Print Screen, we're getting closer to the point of major interest.
10 or so to go...

Reactions: Monte Serra
In the unlikely event that Cort takes the yellow jersey this stage, who gets the polka dots? Nobody?

As long as they have passed a KoM, someone will always wear the polka dots. Lets say there had been a KoM on the first stage (and that Lampaert had won it), then in addition to Van Aert wearing green, even though Lampaert was leading the points competition, whoever was second in the mountain competition would be in the polka dots.

(Since there were no KoM on the first stage, no one wore it yesterday.)

As long as they have passed a KoM, someone will always wear the polka dots. Lets say there had been a KoM on the first stage (and that Lampaert had won it), then in addition to Van Aert wearing green, even though Lampaert was leading the points competition, whoever was second in the mountain competition would be in the polka dots.

(Since there were no KoM on the first stage, no one wore it yesterday.)

No one but Cort has points though.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Just came home after 3 days on the road at TdF. Sporting wise, could be a lot better (rain on stage 1, headwind on the bridge), but whatever. I have never seen this many people anywhere - Copenhagen was insane (4-5 layers on the 13 km course), Nyborg insane, Vejle insane. Enjoyed it, but I must admit I like watching cycling more in my living room, lmao.

What an experience! How are the other Danes doing?

Just came home after 3 days on the road at TdF. Sporting wise, could be a lot better (rain on stage 1, headwind on the bridge), but whatever. I have never seen this many people anywhere - Copenhagen was insane (4-5 layers on the 13 km course), Nyborg insane, Vejle insane. Enjoyed it, but I must admit I like watching cycling more in my living room, lmao.

What an experience! How are the other Danes doing?

I'm standing 75 metres from the finish line, a little annoyed by some drunkards but otherwise loving the experience.

TRENDING THREADS