• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 4 (Dunkerque – Calais, 171.5k)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't think this TT suited him apart from the rain, and the late starters had better conditions than he did.

Plenty of guys who finished behind him lost bucket loads in the corners. Then there were of course those who were (very) fast but crashed.

Don't think him placing 5th in this wet and technical time trial means he's on some good to great form. He pretty much said he was **** in stages 1, 2 and 3. Blames it on not having raced since the Giro.

Maybe his form will arrive, but it's anyone's guess.

How will Netflix add drama to stage 3? Fake action music, behind the scenes drama? Team car having a flat tire and needing to chase back on only three tires?

One man and his extreme attempts at social distancing?Throw some jaws music on as the peleton appear in shots behind him. Then some slow motion replays of any crash and Will Buxton appears to highlight how you always need to pay attention.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F02a6606a-b6ac-4396-b956-9a7068b797e7_960x1280.jpeg

While we wait for the stage to start we can drink some coffee. Perfect leadout perfect coffee.

Three stages in Denmark, good for all the people and the cycling fans in this beautiful country. But truth be told, ASO couldn't bribe the winds and here we are with a trio of northern France cycling challenges. As a Frenchman, I like the stages 4-5-6. They will feature what, in my mind, riding a bike in "le Nord" is about.

It's looking more and more like contenders and pretenders won't mix it up until La Super Planche, trying to make it to the rest day after stage 9 within striking distance for the podium candidates (maybe 6-7-8 riders), or within 20 seconds or so from one another for the big boys.

And I only see three big boys: Pog, Rog, and Geraint (with a question mark). After all, like Bernal in '19, Geraint could be the last one standing.

I hope that I'm wrong, that we get wind tomorrow, wet cobbles, and rain on stage 6. It's not likely to happen, but I always want an epic Tour, so I will do my shaman dance tonight.

I think tomorrow we could end up with another bunch sprint with all the notables, unless one of the teams with a more””climby” sprinter goes hard on the middle section of the course to get rid of Jacobson, Groenwegan, etc. Like BORA used to do in occasional stages to set up Sagan. Roster-wise, Jumbo is probably the best position to do something like that, but I really don’t think they would want to use up any extra energy tomorrow that isn’t focused on helping their GC hopefuls. They and the other GC teams may also be wanting to keep the powder dry for the pave stage.

A light wind will come from the left in the final. That and the climbs might lead to a reduced bunch sprint. Another top 2 for Van Aert is in the cards. GC riders need to watch out. Echelons are not impossible. The classic types will probably save themselves for the tougher stage tomorrow.

Still seems strange why such an early rest day yesterday - obviously I missed why, can anyone help?
Hasn't it been like this in all GTs with starts outside of the home country of the GT? Except in case for bordering countries.
When racing in Denmark on Sunday it is simply not possible to continue the next morning in France with all the team buses and trucks having to be in place. It is a 1000km transfer.

Reactions: Cookster15
Someone needs to light up this race. Please.

The stage looks hilly but looking closer at hills it seems this will be another bunch sprint deal.

Cort will defend his dotted jersey and perhaps catch a break. That would be nice for a change.

Jumbo and Ineos to work together and racing high pace. Rog to attack on the last climb but Vinoukorov and Lance catches up and wins in the same time. A stage like that please

Someone needs to light up this race. Please.

The stage looks hilly but looking closer at hills it seems this will be another bunch sprint deal.

Cort will defend his dotted jersey and perhaps catch a break. That would be nice for a change.

Jumbo and Ineos to work together and racing high pace. Rog to attack on the last climb but Vinoukorov and Lance catches up and wins in the same time. A stage like that please

More likely Jumbo 1 2 3. If that would be to happen.

Reactions: danielovichdk2
It's more or less impossible to finish in Denmark and at the next day to compete in France. Too much logistics involved.
I don't think it would be impossible, the distance isn't that great. Without needing the equipment, I've even flown into and out of Copenhagen for a day trip before. However, for that to be feasible they would have to finish stage 3 somewhere very close to an airport - and probably Copenhagen for it to be large enough to cope with the logistical burden, which then would put massive restrictions on what you can do with the three stages as part of the Grand Départ since they wanted to start in Copenhagen too.

The other thing that you would then have would be the need to transport everything. As a result, the only way that would likely make sense would be to have an ITT or TTT on either the last day in Denmark (enabling the logistics of the regular road bikes to gain a head start) or the first day in France (enabling the TT gear to be taken to France direct and the rest of the equipment to be transferred across two days.

However, while it would be logistically possible, it's probably more of a headache than it's worth for the impositions on route. I mean, we've moaned about the lack of spectacle outside of the fans enough, imagine if we hadn't even had the ITT?

Hell, back in 1988 the Vuelta started in the Canary Islands, having an ITT, a TTT and a road stage in the first three days, and then transferring to Sevilla with no rest day. Since Denmark is in the Schengen area, this seems like the most reasonable comparison (back in the pre-Schengen days you'd have more issue with transfers across borders between stages, but the Canaries to mainland Spain is a comparably long transfer by air or boat that would not require passport control, customs checks etc).

TRENDING THREADS